The Diesel Garage banner

6.0 fuel mileage

33K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  jbsmith55 
#1 ·
Hi guys! Im new at the diesel game. I just bought a ford F250 6.0 powerstroke diesel 4x4 2004. I have been told that I need to install a egr bypass kit to ensure the engine runs properly. also I was told to get added mpg I should install a air intake and a triple dog power chip. does this sound right to you professionals? Is there anything else I should add that will increase fuel mileage? thanks for your in help!

#2 ·
Ok if you are looking to get better fuel millage your best bet is to get a SCT tuner with some custom tunes innovative diesel makes a good ECON tune that will give you abot 2-4 MPG the egr delete will help a little but nothing major as far as MPG the air intake on our truck is really good and unless you are going over 500HP you really do not need one. I would look into getting a 4" turbo back exhaust which will help out to and lower you EGT's.

Now if you want to do some preventive stuff to your truck the EGR delete is a great start if you do do the EGR delete you might as well replace the oil cooler if your truck has any millage on it you are right there when you do the EGR delete. I would defently do a coolant filter no matter what expecialy if you are running the stock Ford Gold coolant the gold coolant is a sillicate coolant that breaks down due to heat and starts to plug up the oil cooler casting sand is also a problem causing to plug up the oil cooler the coolant filter will help the life of a oil cooler by at least 90%. But if you want to go the extra step you could and what most people do is flush all the Ford Glold coolant out and install a good Cat-1 ELC that is waht international puts in there motors which is who our motors are made by.

#4 ·
Bullet proof diesel makes a good oil cooler bypass kit. What are you trying to do with the truck are you trying to do preventive mainantice? Is you oil cooler bad? Are you trying to get a lot of performance mods to the truck? I guess what are your plans with it.

#6 · (Edited)
well this will be a good start to make your truck last as long as it possably can and this is the order i would do it.

1. Coolant filter to keep the oil cooler in good shape verry important and cheep.

2. Ford's new blue fuel pressure reg kit the factory kit wears out over time and you will not have good fuel pressure injectors need at least 45psi and a lot of trucks at WOT are not getting that when i tested mine i only had 38psi at WOT the new ford spring will give you atound 65psi at idle and 55psi at WOT. Verry important and cheep

3. Change coolant to a good Cat-1 ELC to get rid of the ford gold sillicate coolant that breaks down due to heat. Good idea to do and cheep and never need to change coolant again.

4. A good set of gauges to know what is really going on with your motor i would get at least fuel pressure, EOT and ECT you do want your EOT and ECT temp to be with in 15 deg diff if know you know you have a problem with EGR or oil cooler or head gaskets mine is usualy about 5 diff. If you plan on doing a lot of towing or and custom tunes i would also get a pyro to make sure you keep your EGT under controol you do not really want to go over 1,200 deg.

5. 4" Turbo back exhaust to keep EGT's low.

6. Oill bypass filter to keep your injectors in good health our motors use high pressure oil to run the injectors so the cleaner the oil the better the life of the injectors.

7. EGR delete will help out a little on MPG and allow motor to run little cleaner and cooler.

8. ARB head studs and black oxyd gaskets becuse the factory head studs tend to streach due to any kind of extream towing or power.

And you also want to make suer only to use ford fuel filters and oil filters decuse the aftermarket filters just do not do a good job and change your oil ever 5K not 7500-10K our trucks shear oil bad and the oil will only hold up to about 5,500. I also change my fuel filter about ever 10K it is cheep comparied to injectors you can find good deals on them on the net.

#8 ·
Ok there is tow types of exhaust CAT back and TURBO back Cat Back is a new exhaust pipe from the Catlitic converter back and a TURBO back is a exhaust from the turbo all the way out the back stock i think i 3" the 4" pipe from turbo back with a new free flowing muffler or no muffler will allow you to have much better flow which = cooler exhaust temps you can do exhaust several ways just depends what you like i have a 4" Stainless steel MBRP turbo back exhaust with a cat delete pipe with a 5" tip.

#9 ·
Thanks for the info. see if I have a good plan. 4" turbo back exhaust, oil bypass filter, egr delete kit, airraid air intake, cat-1 elc coolant, ford oil and fuel filters, tripple dog powerchip set for fuel economy. does this sound like a good start?

#10 · (Edited)
Yes it all looks good you can get good deals on the oilbypass filters kit frome http://www.nucmotorsports.com/fordparts.html he only thing i would do is i would get a SCT X3 programer with custom tunes from innovative diesel they have a good Economey tune made just it is a lot beter than bully dog. You could also get the SCT live wire and you can load the custom Economey tune on it and it will also give you EOT ECT and your EGT temps just somthing to look at preaty much anbody you talk to will tell you to only use SCT stuff on our trucks you can e-mail erick over at innovative and he can tell you all you need to know on the programers they are great to deal with. If you do get the airaid intake on your truck i would also get the pre filter for it also it helps out a lot. And when you flush your ford gold coolant crap out ther is a lot of good threds on how to do it i used Restor to flush out mine worked really good and it is preaty much drain, fill with tap water run for a few minn drain fill with restore and diesteled water and run for 1-2 hours drain and flush it 2 more times with diesteled water and then put in the ELC but if you do the EGR delete that is when i would do it.

#13 ·
Hey Ranger,

Can you post the part number or numbers for the blue fuel pressure reg upgrade?

Thanks

#14 ·
I think this is a must for all of our 6.0 with the factory fuel regulator here is the part number.

3C3Z-9T517-AG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.