The Diesel Garage banner

Looking to buy 01 cummins

1K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Cummins lover 
#1 ·
Hey every body. Im looking at buying a 2001 dodge ram 3500 with the 5.9l 24 valve and 6 speed manual. the truck looks really clean and the guy said his father was an easy driver and used for a daily driver in his tractor servicing company. Its the extended cab or club cab which is a plus but only 2wd and dually. i want the dually cause im gonna be hauling hay and tractors myself and possibly using it in a few years for hotshot. it has a newer cm bed with side boxes and a new clutch. it has floor mats so no holes in the floor board. its leather interior with heated seats. he says everything works on it. it looks like it has a goosneck ball and it has a receiver hitch and brake controller. he did say it has a pretty good power steering leak so any ideas on that would be helpful. i know that cummins engines will go forever if maintained and in my opinion the 2nd gen are the best and with that 6 speed i should get some pretty impressive fuel economy right? plus the manuals were better than the autos thats for sure. and with the 24v i can chip it just by pluggin it in. and another plus for me is NO EPA CRAP!!! it has (and i hate to say this cause its a lot of miles) 385,000 on it and hes asking $6500. he said he would come down on the price too. kelley blue book rates it at $6,178. but i feel the interior is also in better than average condition. i asked why he was selling and he said they had too many cars so they just dont need or use it. he said he personally got it from the original owner with 20,000 on it... which isnt even broken in. i found it on craigslist and its 2 hours away so i wanna make it worth my time. my questions are... 1- Does this sound like a good deal and a good truck... i need it to last for many years. 2- what are the specific things i need to look at. 3- does the price sound about right... hes had it on there for over a month so im pretty sure i can talk him down a good bit.

Thanks you guys and any comments would be helpful.

PS i have a truck (see signature) so its not like i need something to drive but i want something with more power since we have a farm and do hay all summer long and i want to use it out of college for hotshot to make money. once again.. thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess no ones on anymore. But i would really like a few opinions. Please let me know what yall think. I honestly think cummins is the best diesel only followed by duramax. And i believe that the second generation is the best.

#3 ·
Ok. So even though 205 people have looked at this and none have replied and probably never will.... i have a bit more information on this truck. He put a new clutch in last summer. Then interior and exterior are good. Its the laramie slt with premium sound. And HES DROPPED THE PRICE TO $5500! So im still wondering. With 385,000 miles is it still good for at least that many more? Guys PLEASE help. I dont wanna buy a truck thats gonna blow up after 1,000 miles.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.