What is a p-pump? - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by iwannagofast, this thread has received 15 replies and been viewed 2957 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

What is a p-pump?

What is a p-pump? I know that you use it to replace the ip, but is it worth the extra cost?

Advantages disadvantages?

99 2500 dodge cummins, HTS auto trans, quadzilla/edge ez, edge stage 2 nozzles, HX40,special X pump, big line kit, custom dual filter intake, custom exhaust, holley blue, adjustable boost elbow, new intercooler boots, t/c lock up switch, suncoast t/c, leveling kit, new 285 bfg's, all the gauges. New TPS

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Bouncer

It is a mechanical injection pump used on the 94'-98' 12v motors. It is also a common pump to be found on Ag and construction equipment. They are very durable and the sky is virtually the limit with a P-pump. That is why almost everyone who runs BIG fuel goes to a P-pump.

Advantages is you can manually control your timing, you can change parts and phyiscally work on it, it is lubrciated by engine oil instead of fuel, they are very dependable, and readily available rebuilt for much cheaper than a VP44.

The only disadvantge IMO is you can not turn the power up and down by pushing a button or a program. Although there are ways around that with a valet switch.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 PM
JakeBrakeIH

Send a message via AIM to jakebrakeIH
...I couldnt agree more...the real big disadvantage is you cant change power settings nor timing etc as Bouncer said...

2000 Silverado 1500 4.8L 5 speed 4x4

Go:K&N FIPK, Dual Flowmasters,
2002 PCM, Custom Tunes

Show:5% tint, Debadged, xeon blue HL,
clear parking lights, color matched grille, billet grille & bowtie
AR 20"s wheels, Kenwood HU, Kicker L7, Sirius, Blue LEDs in cluster:
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
There is a few holes in Bouncers comments...

It true that big power can be had with a P-pump.

Quote:
Advantages is you can manually control your timing
But you got to manually set your timing and its static. A VP44 pump is dynamic and changes to the loads and throttle...

Quote:
it is lubrciated by engine oil instead of fuel
90% of the pumps internal part are lubed by the engine oil but the fuel stil plays a role in lubing the piston bores, DV's, and injectors...

Quote:
That is why almost everyone who runs BIG fuel goes to a P-pump.
I got to admit its the ulitmate for a IP pump but to convert a VP44 system to P-pump is going to cost big money too...

Sorry Bouncer...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Bouncer

I will still take a P-pump any day of the week though. :Thumbup:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 PM

I think that you gotta ask yourself what you want your truck for... if it is the ultimate hot rod..... then the p-pump would probably be a good way to go.. if u wanna leave your truck in the slightly modded category then the vp44 is way sufficient enough of a pump to use as any platform to build off of. after all you can control fuel flow with a chip and that has gotta be nice. But I think if your shootin for the stars the p-pump is it.:smoke

2004.5 GMCcc, sb, 4" straight pipe from turbo back, lly dmax, afe stage 1, 315 75 16 big o a/t, egr blocked ,billstiens all around,2 dvd's, nav, slt package,
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 02:32 AM

P-pumps were used on other bigger engines too like Mack Dump trucks, etc. Probably on more than just Cummins and Mack engines I think they were put on IH engines as well. Not sure. If you could get it to work. It's be worth it. But it sounds like a challege with all the right parts and tools.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Bouncer

Philly is right about various P-pumps were used on lots of engines.

Kits to change 24v's over to P-pump's are readily available. This conversion is becoming very popular.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:45 AM

The fact that they tend to last longer is the really big reason I can see to do it. Its true that the VP44 isn't as capable of producing giant numbers, but there are a few of them that are coming along quite nicely, and I think if you're willing to use drugs, the VP44 hasn't seen the peak of its potential yet, and will probably break the 1000hp mark soon; hopefully.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 02:19 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Well my 2 cycle oil/lubricity study seem to be extending the life of a VP44 pump...

As for the HP/TQ number I've heard a few getting close to some really high numbers...

But as for me the VP44 pump is great for a daily driver, and has good power, and it tuneable on the fly. So if you going for big HP/TQ number I got to admit P-pump is the only good way to go! But for a daily driver and ease of tuning VP44 is the best bet yet... :2cents

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode