The Diesel Garage banner

Fuel pressure & overflow valve pressure

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Deeslfxr 
#1 ·
If you are maintaining 7 to 12 psi at pump inlet and overflow valve opens at 14 psi, how does IP return excess fuel for cooling purposes? :confused: Russ

#3 · (Edited)
Michael, great writeup. 2 questions though: 1: If the LP never delivers 14psi, wouldn't one run the risk of overheating the IP? I realize the ECM will throw a code if this happens, but I'm wondering why it doesn't happen more then? 2:Where do you get the banjo bolt with test port in it? I tried the dealer with no luck. Thanx for the help. Russ

#4 ·
Michael, great writeup. 2 questions though:

1: If the LP never delivers 14psi, wouldn't one run the risk of overheating the IP? I realize the ECM will throw a code if this happens, but I'm wondering why it doesn't happen more then?

Because there is a second return from the fuel rail at the back of the head.. This provides most of the return flow. The overflow is to keep the pressure from getting to high.

2:Where do you get the banjo bolt with test port in it? I tried the dealer with no luck. Thanx for the help. Russ
There banjo bolt can be purchased at Geno's Garage... The other place that sold them was Cummins. (Campaign Pump #4090046)

Reactions: Deeslfxr
#5 ·
OK, that makes sense. Thanx Mike for all the info!! Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.