The Diesel Garage banner

Fuel Mileage

7K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  DieselLover 
#1 ·
Does anyone have over 5000 miles and knows what there fuel mileage is driving about 55 or 60 with the cruise set? What kind of gears are you running? Automatic or Standard Transmission? 4X4?

:usflag

#3 ·
I'm a Ford man, but I can't decide weather to go with the new fords or the cummins in the dodge. Or maybe just wait another year to see how the new 6.4 s are holding up. I drive 40 miles one way to work 5 days a week, so fuel mileage will be a factor.

#5 ·
Hybrid_4x4_Superduty said:
I would stay away from a truck and get a volkswagen tdi then:Thumbup:
No...FORD needs to get their crap together. They change Diesel engines like I change socks. Why is the 6.4 at a lower compression rate than the 6.0? Don't get me wrong...I drove a 08 Super Duty....Great truck...Awesome interior....with a FUEL SUCKING engine...I don't get it...No wonder Ford is losing stock.:shrug:

#6 ·
fjo said:
I'm a Ford man, but I can't decide weather to go with the new fords or the cummins in the dodge. Or maybe just wait another year to see how the new 6.4 s are holding up. I drive 40 miles one way to work 5 days a week, so fuel mileage will be a factor.
I am waiting on 6.7 fuel economy #s to come out before I decide. I LOVE the 08 Super Duty...but I trust the Cummins a heck-a-va lot more than the Powerstroke....

#7 ·
Hybrid_4x4_Superduty said:
I would stay away from a truck and get a volkswagen tdi then:Thumbup:
I mean that with all due respect, if you are worried about fuel economy after buying a $50k+ truck mabye you shouldnt get one? And i mean all that with ALL due respect.

#8 ·
To answer the question of thy did ford lower the comp ratio like that is a bad thing, The lower the comp the more boost can be run with less fatigue on the engine. Lower comp in a diesel is not a bad thing. In the world of high perf diesels you always cut the comp, not raise it like a gasser. The lower the better as long as it starts when its cold.

#9 ·
DieselLover said:
No...FORD needs to get their crap together. They change Diesel engines like I change socks. Why is the 6.4 at a lower compression rate than the 6.0? Don't get me wrong...I drove a 08 Super Duty....Great truck...Awesome interior....with a FUEL SUCKING engine...I don't get it...No wonder Ford is losing stock.:shrug:
Give it about 10,000 miles to break-in and you'll see your fuel economy increase. It takes time, but it'll get better (I hope). My new DMAX gets 12.9 in pure stop & go driving on winter blend, not what I expected. I'm hoping it's up over 15-16 MPG by mid summer. I bought my wife a new Volvo XC90 V-8 about 4 months ago and the fuel mileage went from a miserable 13.5 up to 16.5 after 3,500 miles of driving-pure short trips and stop/go. No highway at all.

#10 ·
deere puller said:
To answer the question of thy did ford lower the comp ratio like that is a bad thing, The lower the comp the more boost can be run with less fatigue on the engine. Lower comp in a diesel is not a bad thing. In the world of high perf diesels you always cut the comp, not raise it like a gasser. The lower the better as long as it starts when its cold.
\

Wear is what lowers the comp on an engine...Ford lowered it by 300 which is 300 closer to an overhaul. Then they compensated by adding twin turbo's which don't cut in until the rpm kick in...It appears that the 6.4 is a lowered compression twin turbo'ed 6.0....disappointing...

#11 ·
DieselLover said:
\

Wear is what lowers the comp on an engine...Ford lowered it by 300 which is 300 closer to an overhaul. Then they compensated by adding twin turbo's which don't cut in until the rpm kick in...It appears that the 6.4 is a lowered compression twin turbo'ed 6.0....disappointing...
At least it's common rail....

#14 ·
DieselLover said:
Commonrail FUEL-HOG...big deal! I can't believe Ford can't do better...do they have ties with the oil companies??? Best truck I ever drove...unfortunately it can't pass a gas station(diesel) without pulling over.
The point I was trying to make is that it is superior to the previous HEUI 6L. Not only that, look at your HP/TQ rating. You have considerably more power than the previous generation. Did you expect to get all that extra power AND clean tailpipe emissions for FREE?!?!?!?:poke: There's no way you can jump 40HP & more TQ plus 90% cleaner tailpipe without some kind of sacrafice.

Sorry you hate it so much. Maybe you should have studied the truck a little more before you bought it, but in case you didn't know - they all get crappy fuel mileage. Good luck.

#15 ·
Duke said:
The point I was trying to make is that it is superior to the previous HEUI 6L. Not only that, look at your HP/TQ rating. You have considerably more power than the previous generation. Did you expect to get all that extra power AND clean tailpipe emissions for FREE?!?!?!?:poke: There's no way you can jump 40HP & more TQ plus 90% cleaner tailpipe without some kind of sacrafice.

Sorry you hate it so much. Maybe you should have studied the truck a little more before you bought it, but in case you didn't know - they all get crappy fuel mileage. Good luck.
Haven't bought one yet...just frustrated...I Love everything about the 08 Super duty EXcept that mileage. I do not tow (a 7500lb boat) except once or twice a month. I do not need all that power that they All (ford, dodge and gm) brag about on a daily basis. I have a 93 Dodge 4X2 5.9L with a 3.55 axle Cummins...gets 23 mpg hwy and 13 mpg towing a 5000 lb boat. My Dad has a 96 Dodge 4X2 with same engine and axle and gets 25 mpg hwy. I know you give up something with 4X4 and all this EPA crap, but I would think a 08 Super Duty 4X4, auto with a 3.73 (6.4L) should get at least 20 mpg hwy (not towing). I guess I must be dreaming...

#16 ·
Many guys are saying high 17's on the highway

#18 ·
Im still getting 17-17.5 and some times reads as high as 18, combined hwy and city. but remember I take it easy(no matter what) (it takes practice) take off from lights easy (with someone on my butt) , anticipate stops and not rush up to the stop signs and lights. drive 55 mph,etc. and use the cruise whenever possible. this may seem nuts or impossible but its my money i spend on fuel and im not going to let the drivers around me dictate how much i spend on fuel!! This also is without alot of idling!! so i guess my stats are not realistic cause no one seems to be able to drive like me without loosing it or spends alot of time stuck in traffic. let see.....60 miles a day, (300 per week) at $2.80 a gallon, at 17 mpg = 17.5 gallons of fuel X 2.80 = 49.00 a week on fuel vs.....14 mpg will cost me $60.00 a week for fuel a diff of 11.00 a week just by taking it easy and after a month it adds up to 44.00. So just hammert it and say the hell with it and u can spend as much as $50-60.00 a month more for fuel if u drive alot of miles like I do.Just some food for thought, again im sure this is not realistic for all you but it works for me and im ok with it.......FLAME AWAY.....:poke:

#19 ·
Im still getting 17-17.5 and some times reads as high as 18, combined hwy and city. but remember I take it easy(no matter what) (it takes practice) take off from lights easy (with someone on my butt) , anticipate stops and not rush up to the stop signs and lights. drive 55 mph,etc. and use the cruise whenever possible. this may seem nuts or impossible but its my money i spend on fuel and im not going to let the drivers around me dictate how much i spend on fuel!! This also is without alot of idling!! so i guess my stats are not realistic cause no one seems to be able to drive like me without loosing it or spends alot of time stuck in traffic. let see.....60 miles a day, (300 per week) at $2.80 a gallon, at 17 mpg = 17.5 gallons of fuel X 2.80 = 49.00 a week on fuel vs.....14 mpg will cost me $60.00 a week for fuel a diff of 11.00 a week just by taking it easy and after a month it adds up to 44.00. So just hammert it and say the heck with it and u can spend as much as $50-60.00 a month more for fuel if u drive alot of miles like I do.Just some food for thought, again im sure this is not realistic for all you but it works for me and im ok with it.......FLAME AWAY.....:poke:

#21 ·
QUICK83 said:
Im still getting 17-17.5 and some times reads as high as 18, combined hwy and city. but remember I take it easy(no matter what) (it takes practice) take off from lights easy (with someone on my butt) , anticipate stops and not rush up to the stop signs and lights. drive 55 mph,etc. and use the cruise whenever possible. this may seem nuts or impossible but its my money i spend on fuel and im not going to let the drivers around me dictate how much i spend on fuel!! This also is without alot of idling!! so i guess my stats are not realistic cause no one seems to be able to drive like me without loosing it or spends alot of time stuck in traffic. let see.....60 miles a day, (300 per week) at $2.80 a gallon, at 17 mpg = 17.5 gallons of fuel X 2.80 = 49.00 a week on fuel vs.....14 mpg will cost me $60.00 a week for fuel a diff of 11.00 a week just by taking it easy and after a month it adds up to 44.00. So just hammert it and say the heck with it and u can spend as much as $50-60.00 a month more for fuel if u drive alot of miles like I do.Just some food for thought, again im sure this is not realistic for all you but it works for me and im ok with it.......FLAME AWAY.....:poke:
Is this with a 08 Super Duty 4x4 with a 3.73 axle?

#22 ·
Dieselover, wear is not what lowered the comp on a 6.4, they lowered it so they can run more boost and not raise the cylinder pressures. The more boost they can run means more air to try to meet the emissions. I dont know how much they lowered it, but as long as it starts when cold then it is not an issue.And from what Ive heard they start fantastic even in the negative temps. When it is worn out, my guess would be the bearings will be shot long before the comp is so low it wont run. Im not trying to argue with you, I think that maybe you dont understand the logics of it, maybe you do though.

#24 ·
deere puller said:
Dieselover, wear is not what lowered the comp on a 6.4, they lowered it so they can run more boost and not raise the cylinder pressures. The more boost they can run means more air to try to meet the emissions. I dont know how much they lowered it, but as long as it starts when cold then it is not an issue.And from what Ive heard they start fantastic even in the negative temps. When it is worn out, my guess would be the bearings will be shot long before the comp is so low it wont run. Im not trying to argue with you, I think that maybe you dont understand the logics of it, maybe you do though.
Deere Puller...the 6.4 is a "new" engine so I know the lower compression is not by wear. I simply saying the wear lowers an engines compression and ford decided to lower the 6.4 by 300. That's 300 closer to an overhaul....I bet you wouldn't catch Cummins doing such rubbish....The 6.4 is a modified 6.0 fuel-HOG. Ford should be ashamed of themselves putting THAT engine in such a nice truck...

#25 ·
i got about 1600 miles on my 08 6.4 4x4 and im traveling on the highway alot due to work. When i first got my truck i was just watching my fuel gauge drop, so i was kind of bummed about that but then i started reading up on the gas mileage and everyone was saying to just wait til it breaks in and it will get better. Well now im averaging around 17.5 mpg on the highway at 69/70 mph not towing anything, and from what i hear it only seems to get better the more you break it in. I mean i dont see it getting much better then that, but alot of other people say its not done breaking in until the truck has reached 5,000 miles (and i even heard 10,000 miles.) Is anybody getting better gas mileage then this, and if you are how many miles are on your truck etc.

#26 ·
Hanging_Heels said:
i got about 1600 miles on my 08 6.4 4x4 and im traveling on the highway alot due to work. When i first got my truck i was just watching my fuel gauge drop, so i was kind of bummed about that but then i started reading up on the gas mileage and everyone was saying to just wait til it breaks in and it will get better. Well now im averaging around 17.5 mpg on the highway at 69/70 mph not towing anything, and from what i hear it only seems to get better the more you break it in. I mean i dont see it getting much better then that, but alot of other people say its not done breaking in until the truck has reached 5,000 miles (and i even heard 10,000 miles.) Is anybody getting better gas mileage then this, and if you are how many miles are on your truck etc.
Wow...I could almost stomach that...if I could get 18-20mpg with that truck - I'd go get one (have a very good friend who is the sales supervisor at a ford dealership). Thanks for the info!:thanks:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.