The Diesel Garage banner

Do all 6.0L have idle problems?

4K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  jmcholden 
#1 ·
OK just checking. Ford and the dealers tell me rolling idle,missing and idle spikes are normal for this thing. Do ant of you folks have 6.0L that idle smooth?

#5 ·
My truck is a mid year 03. The problem comes and goes it will run great for weeks then run horrible . Misses, idle jumps and the truck now has 46,000 miles but it has done this since day one. Its been to the dealer 10 times now.
Mostly does it when its hot . I did a focus group with ford and they promissed they would fix my problems but still have not, a engineer checked it out and they said everything checked out fine. The dealer claims these are normal for the 6.0L. Any idea's

#8 ·
Thanks diesel 71, Been to two dealers and been working with ford executive office back in Michigan. Engineer looked at it and finally I told Detroit to fix my truck or I think legal action was in order. They wanted nothing more of me and said a district rep would contact me in a few days. I have not heard from them yet. I will contact a lawyer tomarrow, enough is enough.
Thanks

#9 ·
The quality of the OIL used in the PSD engines has the single biggest impact on idle quality. Many times, a simple oil change will resolve issues with rolling idle, idle misfires and similar objectionable charecteristics.

That is not to say the oil is a "cure all" or silver bullet, but the impact is HUGE none-the-less.

#13 ·
Try the rotella 5w-40 synthetic on your next change it's not too expensive just in case you still want to get rid of the truck.....and start with 14qrts. instead of 15 and add to effect... the hpop retains .75qrts for start up but I don't think it always drains...too much causes the problems too...these two things made a huge difference on my truck...
jschall

#15 ·
Try a 10w-30 oil. Ford recoomends this weight oil for the 6.0 an if you have the dealer change it. They will probbaly put 10w-30 in it. Motorcraft makes a 10w-30 diesel oil. See if it changes the way your truck runs. I hate ot say it but some off the oil on the market is pretty pathetic as far as qaulity ias concerned. Take an oil analysis on your oil. If the oil is breaking down early the test will show it. Dont overfill youir crankase either an dont add a different oil between changes that could screw you up to.Also add a cetane improver to your fuel when you fill up. This is also recommended for the 6.0. Ford has a fuel additive that does this. When you strting your truck make sure the glow plug light is out before you start. Just some helpful tips.

#16 ·
If you live in a warm cliamate (hot summer) or tow anything then ford does not reccomend a 30wt. oil...the 5w-40 synthetics will give you the best of both worlds.....good idle and good stability...my 2 cents...
jschall

#17 ·
Not to discount anyones opinion. Because I do appreciate the feedback.
But I think Ford has misshandled the 6.0L problems.Thier answer to everything seems to be to reflash again and again and again. My truck has been giveing me trouble for 2 1/2 years now and I'm done. I meet with the lawyer Monday and he says the majority of his cases involve the 6.0L.
I realize they would lose thier shirt if Ford had to eat all the early trucks they produced but enough is enough! Thanks again for the feedback but I will let the lawyer take it from here and see what comes of it?

#20 ·
Hi all,
Still no word yet. Is there any difference between a 03 and a 07 6.0L.
I have heard from several people that had there trucks bought back that Ford will replace it with a new model year. I'm not sure if its worth another shot or not?:thanks:

#21 ·
There are a bunch of changes from 03 to 07. Some for the better and some for the worse.......

I think if you would just take the advice given here and change over to 5w-40 synthetic, your idle issues would most likely go away.... I have run synthetic in mine since the first oil change at 5,000 miles. I did have an ICP go bad that was causing a rough idle, but other than it, I have not had any of the idling issues you and others have complained of and I am still running my original Feb 03 programming.

#25 ·
jmcholden said:
My first 2 oil changes were done at the dealer with Ford oil and the truck has run badly since day 1. :shrug:
Change your dam oil to 5W-40 synthetic rotella ...start with 14qrts. not 15 and then post back....are you afraid to get dirty...? the oil change will run you $75 bucks or so a heck of a lot cheaper then your lawyer.....I can't see why your so resistant to try this and so insistant on bashing the engine and ford in other posts....:shrug:
jschall

#26 ·
We had three Vans with 6.0Ls and a former co-worker (good friend) of mine has owned an '03, '04, and an '06 PSD and has NEVER EVER had any problems with them.

We used Rotella 15W-40 API CH-4/CI-4 oil in all 6 of these.

My friend has over 120,000 miles combined on his three PSDs, he does NOT IDLE, changes his oil ever 7,500 miles and buys fuel all over creation.

Again, oil QUALITY is huge. Most dealerships use "whatever comes out of the reel" when they do an oil change. Not all do, but most. This could be anything Penzoil 5W-20 to Delvac 15W-40. I'd bet even the lube guy does not KNOW what oil they are pumping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.