The Diesel Garage banner

Setting fuel pressure regulator w/out a fuel pressure gauge

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  John_G 
#1 ·
Is there ANY way that this can be done? Also, do I have to run it w/ a boost reference or will it work fine without it??? Thanks...:Thumbup:

#2 ·
Where is the regulator? If on the return side, then yes. If on the inlet side, no.

#4 ·
Start with the reg at the lowest setting, turn it up until fuel stops flowing out the return with the engine OFF but the fuel pump running.

The way the fuel runs, the regulator in the filter will by-pass anything over about 65 PSI, so when the fuel stops running out the new regulator on the return side, the pressure on the inlet is the same as at the outlet.

It's not perfect, but damned close.

#6 ·
If he capped the stock return, all he needs to do is return it to stock configuration temporarily, until he gets it set.

#8 ·
Yea that would work super !

#11 ·
i got the commander for gauges and its only reading i have 21 psi fuel press. im pretty sure that cant be right tho ...still blows smoke, etc.:shrug:

#14 ·
update on me...i had the commander set as a 40 psi gauge instead of 100..dunno the difference but it went from reading 21 spi to 54 psi...

#15 ·
#16 ·
Absoutely.

Unless you KNOW the FP is good, you don't know.

#17 ·
haha, ok, just checkin, it just seemed like to me if your blowing coal the FP would be good...? well like i said, its reading 54 so thats about perfect right?

#18 ·
Yes, 54 PSI is almost exactly right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.