Blowing coolant/overheating-need help - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Texcursion, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 1024 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Blowing coolant/overheating-need help

Here is my latest 6.0 story. 2005 F350 6.0 Auto 4x4. Went to dealer at 17k for blowing excessive coolant while towing my RV. Got new Ford gaskets and head studs. Didn't tow much more until ~33k miles. By not towing much I mean over ~6k pounds. Started towing again and it started blowing coolant again. If I tow more than 10k lbs it will blow coolant and overheat. In total it has been in and out of dealer ~5 times for this issue and has received new:

Head gaskets
Thermostat
Cooling fan
Radiator
2 EGR coolers
2 EGR valves
oil cooler
coolant bottle and cap

It is still blowing coolant and overheating even though the coolant level is way below the add mark. Dealer doesn't know what else to do and they say Ford Tech support doesn't either. They are requesting a Ford rep come in person and check it out.:

Do you guys have any other ideas to look at?:shrug:

I know you guys see a lot and may have some recommendations. I traded a lemon 04 6.0 Excursion at 20k miles for an even longer laundry list of issues. I took a big hit on the trade in just trying to get rid of it and I'm not going to take a loss twice for the 6.0 crap so I need some help to diagnose or give it back. :mafia

Sorry, my questions turned into a rant but I have about lost it on this reoccurring nightmare.:givemebeer

Also in it's life, the truck has had a new turbo, 2 or 3 new shift solenoids, an AC controller face, 2 new batteries, fuel pump and 4 injectors. It still won't start below freezing without plugging in the block heater. All in 45k miles.

I am at a loss.

Thoughts?

GONE 04 Excursion 6.0 4x4 EB (POS lemon is out of here!)
05 F350 CC Dually 6.0 4x4 Lariat
06 F250 CC SB 6.0 4x4 Lariat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 05:59 PM

I've had the same problem, 4 egr cooler, and now I have arp studs. I'd say it could be another egr cooler or oil cooler. Is it smoking alot when you start it first thing when it's cold?

05 F-250 FX44"superlift, 35" pirelli scorpion ATR"S, sirius satellite radio, 1 sony 10" with 1k watts. sct with spartan and Doug's tunes, bullydog outlook, coolant temp, Egrcooler delete, coolant filter, 4" exhaust to 5" stacks, B&W gooseneck hitch, limo tint, ARP studs. AFE stageII intake with PG7, VIPER 5900SST
RIDIN' DIRTY member #23
Bomb Squad member #49

Running motor and trany with all wires, computers, ic, programmer and outlook will be forsale! PM with offer.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 06:27 PM
SLAPS President

Garage
All of the usual suspects have been addressed it seems, so to me it sounds like either your heads are warped or the block is not true. I suspect the tech that did the work did not check this when he made the repairs....

2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155's from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); Di-Pricol gauges; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7;Tunes by Tony Wildman & IDP; B&W hitch; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT radio; JL Audio 275w amp w/ 12" sub; Alpine door and rear seat speakers. pics
Dually club member #76

SLAPS President and Webmaster

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - quote by Samuel Adams

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

No smoke when it starts but it knock and pings when it's cold like it's missing on one cylinder. When running temp, it starts great.

Tech checked the heads but not the block. He said they have a tool for checking the heads but not the block so it wasn't done.

GONE 04 Excursion 6.0 4x4 EB (POS lemon is out of here!)
05 F350 CC Dually 6.0 4x4 Lariat
06 F250 CC SB 6.0 4x4 Lariat
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcursion
No smoke when it starts but it knock and pings when it's cold like it's missing on one cylinder. When running temp, it starts great.

Tech checked the heads but not the block. He said they have a tool for checking the heads but not the block so it wasn't done.
He didn't have a tool??? Its called a straight edge...

It sounds like you have multiple issues. I would assume a lazy injector would be the cause of the cold start issues, but it could also be due to another compromised Head Gasket...:shrug:

2006 F250 CC SB 4x4
4.5 Icon 4-Link, TEI Spacers, and 5 Inch rear Springs.
Farmboy Fabrication Traction Bars.
SCT XCalII tuned by GoGoDiesel, DJ's, and Spartan...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:02 AM

pinging sounds like an injector issue. You got a new coolant bottle cap but, did they change out the bottle itself? If it has new egr and oil coolers it sounds like teamroper60 said either the heads or block.

05 F-250 FX44"superlift, 35" pirelli scorpion ATR"S, sirius satellite radio, 1 sony 10" with 1k watts. sct with spartan and Doug's tunes, bullydog outlook, coolant temp, Egrcooler delete, coolant filter, 4" exhaust to 5" stacks, B&W gooseneck hitch, limo tint, ARP studs. AFE stageII intake with PG7, VIPER 5900SST
RIDIN' DIRTY member #23
Bomb Squad member #49

Running motor and trany with all wires, computers, ic, programmer and outlook will be forsale! PM with offer.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:19 AM
Dually Club #3

Sounds like you have gone to the same dealer as I have, one that has no idea what they are doing just throwing parts at it. I would try another dealer if you can.

Jason

02 Excursion 4x4 Limited 7.3l. Banks Stinger Plus system
06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake, Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY DFUSER.
72 F-250 Gasser.Looking for an 05-07 6.0l, 5R100 and Dana 80 to install
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdydiesel
Sounds like you have gone to the same dealer as I have, one that has no idea what they are doing just throwing parts at it. I would try another dealer if you can.
I totally agree!!! I am so fortunate to have a great dealer here local to me that does alot of diesel truck repairs. JJ
EDIT I see you are in N Texas. What area? If you are close I can get you the name of an awesome dealer in Ft Worth.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcursion
Here is my latest 6.0 story. 2005 F350 6.0 Auto 4x4. Went to dealer at 17k for blowing excessive coolant while towing my RV. Got new Ford gaskets and head studs. Didn't tow much more until ~33k miles. By not towing much I mean over ~6k pounds. Started towing again and it started blowing coolant again. If I tow more than 10k lbs it will blow coolant and overheat. In total it has been in and out of dealer ~5 times for this issue and has received new:

Head gaskets
Thermostat
Cooling fan
Radiator
2 EGR coolers
2 EGR valves
oil cooler
coolant bottle and cap

It is still blowing coolant and overheating even though the coolant level is way below the add mark. Dealer doesn't know what else to do and they say Ford Tech support doesn't either. They are requesting a Ford rep come in person and check it out.:

Do you guys have any other ideas to look at?:shrug:

I know you guys see a lot and may have some recommendations. I traded a lemon 04 6.0 Excursion at 20k miles for an even longer laundry list of issues. I took a big hit on the trade in just trying to get rid of it and I'm not going to take a loss twice for the 6.0 crap so I need some help to diagnose or give it back. :mafia

Sorry, my questions turned into a rant but I have about lost it on this reoccurring nightmare.:givemebeer

Also in it's life, the truck has had a new turbo, 2 or 3 new shift solenoids, an AC controller face, 2 new batteries, fuel pump and 4 injectors. It still won't start below freezing without plugging in the block heater. All in 45k miles.

I am at a loss.

Thoughts?
I have the exact same problem on my 05 I have had everthing replaced same as what you have listed. But I have arp studs, egr delete and she still pukes and over heats. I am just going to beat the hell out of the truck and pull 30000 gcvw as usally and blow the motor and start fresh. Am I pissed yes But I love fords trucks And no matter how bad It comes too I will never be caught dead in a chevy or a dodge.I am going to build the new motor better.
I am going to do the elite coolant lines to the back of the heads, Stand alone oil cooler, Completley remove the Egr cooler, H-11 studs with Fire ring heads,Bigger radaitor.

[/B]2004 F-350 Lariat 4x4/CC/SRW/6.0 PSD
18 Inch Suspention with Atlas Springs,Cross Over Sterring With Ram Assist, 6 Chrome 2.5 Kings Piggy Backs, Ladder Bars Front And Rear With,Heims,Custom Cross member,Re-Indexing Ring On Transfer Case,5.13 Yukon Gears, Detroit Locker Front and Rear, High Angle Driveline Long Slip Front Shaft, High Angle Driveline Two Piece CV Rear Shaft, AMP Research Steps, RBP Turbo Back Exhaust With 5 In Tip,AFE Intake, Banks Intercooler,03 Turbo,Heads Ported & Polished By John Wood,ARP Headstuds,EGR Delete,ZEX Nitrious,SCT By John Wood, Mag-Hytec Front & rear Diff Cover, Mag-Hytec Trans Pan ,3 Gauge Pilliar, Dana 80 Rear Axle, 22.5 Super Single Alcoas With 45 Inch Tires, 2008 Front Clip![/B]

2005 F-350 Lariat 4x4/CC/Drw/6.0 psd/4.10 Rears
Airaid Intake,RBP Turbo Back Exhaust,ARP Studs,SCT By John Wood,Banks Intercooler,Edge Juice Platinum Gauges Only,EGR Delete,2.5 DR Levling Kit,On Black KMC Rockstars,Pulls 2006 Cl 4005 Weekend Warrior
GCVW- 33,585 pounds Loaded

pics http://community.webshots.com/user/rbp04
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 01:30 AM

if it still pukes with the egr blocked off I'm guessing that would be the oil cooler? What else is there to make it puke?

RIDIN' DIRTY member #23
Bomb Squad member #49

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode