The Diesel Garage banner

power/boost issue

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jdydiesel 
#1 ·
I have a 02 F250 7.3L 4dr 4x4 that just doesn't seem to be operating at full performance. Its got 4in straight pipe, DIY intake and edge evo programmer. I'm only getting about 13mpg and when I floor it my boost will on go to 10-13. I run rotella synthetic and change the fuel and air filter regularly. What should I check for leaks other than my boots? I was gonna check the flywheel; what should I be looking for to tell if it needs to be replaced. And I know I need to loose the edge and get a DP so no need for the 30 comments that say "get a dp and loose the edge" lol. Thank You Jake

#4 ·
to be honest i dont recall the last time my boost was high i usually monitor rpm,mph,tranny temp and egts. but i can tell a diffenece between stock setting and extreme setting, also im getting surge issues so im gonna be ordering a new compression wheel. Also at 65 my egts average 650-700. Im looking for a list of things to check like boots tubes and other things things that would contribute to a leak, also ive heard ppl say to check for exahust leaks and i was wondering if i just check the actual exahust pipe or what? im still learning about the 7.3 so bare with me and thanks for the help

#5 ·
your boost should be higher than that at WOT if you can find someone colse to scan it and see if you have any code like stuck ebpv sticking you could also see if the cat is plugged ( pull it off and see if it runs right,)I know on the gasers it will plug up and run like crap.also check your fuel pressure. dont worry about the wheel in less you hear it rubbing (high pitched squeel) see if you V clamps are tight and look for exhaust leaks in the up pipes and manifold.

#7 ·
You don't have a cat. The 02 7.3l didn't come with one. I would look at your exhaust up-pipes. They are know to leak at the joint where the two pipes come together. You chould be able to see the pipes behind the turbo. If there is black soot then they are leaking and this will give you a low boost situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.