The Diesel Garage banner

2001 7.3 excursion wont turn on help

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  05f250305 
#1 ·
ever since i owned this truck i replace all injector cup(one was leaking and did all the extra parts at the same time) and injector o ring all glow plugs and harness it was working great with no issues, i decided to change the icp and ipr and the positive battery wiring harness because the truck always gave me a problem in the morning starting. after i change both sensor, the truck was on for 1 hour with no problems i took it for a test drive and it turn off in the corner of my house and it wont turn on again it cranks but wont turn on. i replace the new sensors with old sensors from a 1997 7.3 that was running and still the same thing i place the new ipr in the 1997 and the truck turn on and it worksfine not sure what to do at this point and im not trying to waste money just buying new parts can someone help me the truck has 172000 miles :swear:swear

#2 ·
Does your oil pressure gauge rise off the peg when cranking? If not check your oil. If oil level is ok, take the plug out of top of hpop (takes an allen wrench) and check oil level there. Should be less than an inch from top. If not, add oil and try to start. If it starts then we can discuss possible causes.
Also, when cranking, does tach needle bounce? If not check to make sure cps is plugged in and?or swap out cps with known good.

#4 ·
yes my oil pressure gauge does rise when cranking. oil level is fine in both areas. i also replace the cps sensor thinking it was the problem and nothing

Diagnostic info is a must on these trucks. Since it sounds like you have another truck that can be used for parts swapping purposes, after you check the oil levels, try swapping the Cam Position Sensor (CPS) it's a common issue, and without cam and crank position info, the computer will not fire the injectors.
replace with a new oem cps it was only $20

they told me it could be the idm but dont want to waste $200 on a rebuilt unit. will the 1997 7.3 idm and pcm work on a 2001 7.3

#3 ·
Diagnostic info is a must on these trucks. Since it sounds like you have another truck that can be used for parts swapping purposes, after you check the oil levels, try swapping the Cam Position Sensor (CPS) it's a common issue, and without cam and crank position info, the computer will not fire the injectors.

#9 ·
683=glow plug control module, check connections- to my knowledge they seldom go bad?
1316=idm issue. check and double check valve cover harness, both plugs, both sides?
1280=icp out of range low.
1670=communication error.

With this combo of codes I am inclined to think you are on the right track with idm diagnosis. I am no pro. I just own 2 of these and one since new. I agree with Jasong, I think idm is the same. double check by looking up with Rockauto and a couple other places to verify?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.