glow plug replacement - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by kkdiesel7, this thread has received 18 replies and been viewed 1581 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

glow plug replacement

so i have determined that replacing the glow plugs are needed. i put the ohm meter on each one getting no reading on 7 or 8 plugs i believe i did this test right any advice on testing would be helpful. i am worried however that my plugs may be carboned up and that i have read is a real bear. and if they break off then basically you have to pull the head which is extremely over my head. however i'm trying to do the glow plug replacement on my own.. ekkk... any tips tricks and advice would be extremely appreciated

2002 F250 7.3 6 position chip,ae intake, 4" lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

The 7.3L PSDs are not known for failing GPs, and they do not get stuck anything like they did in the 6.9L/7.3L IDI engines.

I find it almost impossible that you have 7 or 8 of 8 GPs bad. I have replaced three to date, since 1994 when the 7.3L PSD came out. It's possible, but it would be the first I have seen it.

Take a TEST LIGHT, any one will do. Connect the (normally ground) clip to a BATTERY POSITIVE source. Touch the tip of the test light to the tip of each GP. If the light lights, that GP is good, if not, it's DOA. That is the best test I know of.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

re question

ok so say that i only have 1 or 2 that need replaced would that make a huge difference on cold starting. it WILL NOT start if its cold out unless plugged in and i just replaced the glow plug relay yesterday without results. also with the volt meter on dc i tested the output side sometimes however the output side aka one with 2 wires does not have volts most of the time though it does.... thanks
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

On a powerstroke, one or two bad GPs will not typically cause a no-start condition. With the older IDI style engines, one will bad GP can kill it dead at 40*F!

When you measured your voltage, and it sounds like you did everything correctly, and it's working, how many volts were there (on the output stud)? You NEED to have the same as battery voltage, or at least within 1/2 volt. So if you get 11.5 at the battery (+), you need at LEAST 11.0 at the GPR output terminal.

Given that you just replaced the GPR, I would think this will be ok, but if it's low, check all you wiring back to the battery. You may just have a bad power connection.

Also, a weak starter may not spin the engine fast enough to get it to start. It turns over, just not fast enough. I have seen that before.

I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

its official

i just did your test with the test light all glow plugs on the drivers side=dead
passenger side very front terminal was the only one that tested positive... dang thats prolly the reason for such cold starts ehhhh... after removing the valve cover is it smart to go ahead and put bp rust buster before even trying to turn the glow plugs? also has anyone had luck with the bosche glow plugs?? there available at the local autozone for like 15.00 cant buy motorcraft ones there and dont really want to go to the dealership....
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:51 AM
Dually Club #3

Do not go with the aftermarket glowplugs. Stick with the Ford or international. I replaced allmine with the $8 units form krapen and had to replace tehm less then a year later. Something else that I found was the number 1 gp wire was loose on the krapen gp but not on the Ford unit. Spend the extra money and you will be ahead of the game.

Jason

02 Excursion 4x4 Limited 7.3l. Banks Stinger Plus system
06 F-350 4x4 CC LB Tow Boss Lariat 6.0l auto. Banks PowerPDA, Banks SpeedBrake, FICM Atlas 40 Tune, ARP Studs, PowerMax GT3788VA turbo, Homemade coolant filter, EGR valve delete spool, Monster Exhaust, K&N Cold air intake, Husky mudflaps, Line-X bed liner, Recon lights, TUNED BY DFUSER.
72 F-250 Gasser.Looking for an 05-07 6.0l, 5R100 and Dana 80 to install
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:53 AM

you can spray them down with pb blaster if you want but I dont think it would make any difference because thay probably have plenty of oil on them already to lube them up. I have never had any issues with getting them out.

Ross
Show-ME Smokers 2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke" My Videos
1996 f350, powerstroke, 4x4, 5-speed, 4.56 gears, Swamps 450/600 injectors, Swamps BFH turbo, Swamps Idm, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, SBC clutch, studs, springs, tubes, air to water intercooler, fuel system, factory rods!

Tow Rig
1997 f350, srw, reg cab, 4x4, 5 speed, 4.10 gears, 3in down pipe, straight pipe, mystery chip.

Becker Brothers Enterprises
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, that would cause hard starting.

LOTS of people (technicians) believe that if on GP is bad, do 'em all. Well on the older engines that was sound advice, it's not on a Power Stroke.

In your case, I would bet that you have aftermarket GPs in there, which is why they are all dead. Aftermarket plugs simply do not last.'

Please let us know if they are OEM or aftermarket once you get them out!

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

planning on doing the replace this week..

i'm looking forwards to finding this info out just as much as you. i bought this truck last december with 98,000 on it. the guy before me had a 6 position chip on it and did some mods. basically he burnt up the engine and ended up cracking the block i bought it from the dealer that he traded it off to. i found this info from the guy who traided it off. basically ford put in a new engine at 90,000 so i got it with 8,000 miles on it. but am finding i'm doing alot of the routine maint on a truck with a 100,000. such as new started, new alt, new batts, new gp relay, new serpentine belt, a few other things i'm too frustrated to think of right now. the truck runs great just a few things here and there. once i finally get all the little stuff about my truck fixed it'll be fine a dandy i hope. lol... basically i hope to keep it forever haha.. thanks for everyones advice!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:50 AM

1) there is a better test than using the test light like John mentioned, it's called an ohm meter. Just because a GP is good enough to turn on the bulb in a test light doesn't mean it is performing 100%, it just means it is not COMPLETELY burned out, but it could be making as much heat as a frog fart (very little). I don't remember what the resistance should be, but I can look it up for you.

2) You can get MOTORCRAFT glow plugs from Auto Zone for 2.99 a piece right now. Type ZD11 into the search on their website and print off the page, take it into the store in case they try to give you a different price. I would recommend replacing the relay as well, they're cheap. You can get a GPR109 from napa for around 20

-02 CC SB Terminator HPOS, 180cc singles, GTP-38R, 4" ex, ITP fuel, AFE stage 2, bunch of other crap that probably doesn't make it any faster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode