The Diesel Garage banner

7.3 idi core plugs

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  dbennett48 
#1 ·
I had a core plug blow out. I have inspected the other plugs and there is no sign of leakage. I THINK I want to increase the size of the center dimples on the plugs that did not fail, but am afraid that it may cause the seal to start leaking, or the plug may fail. Does anyone have any thoughts on increasing the size of the dimple on plugs that have been installed for 15,000 miles?

#3 ·
yes, the plugs I am talking about are the freeze plugs. They are not the cup type. they are the concave wafer type. I installed them when the engine was out for repairs. I used the ball end of a ball peen hammer and struck the flat end with another hammer until I had a dimple in the plug as close to center as I could get by eye. the one near the oil filter on the left side blew out and I lost the coolant. I stopped almost immediately and did not cook the engine. I installed a new plug and coolant. Now I question the rest of the plugs. I even pulled the tranny to see the two plugs on the back side of the block. No sign of leakage anywhere. I guess I am having feeling of insecurity. my question is probably should I use a socket on the end of an extension and give the plugs that are in the engine another strike or two to make sure another plug does not fail. I fear that after being in the engine for a while I might weaken the seal that is there. your thoughts? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.