DT466e no start / no oil pressure - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by rospaw, this thread has received 9 replies and been viewed 2201 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

DT466e no start / no oil pressure

Hi All!
background
2000 international 4700 dt466e with 24,000 miles (yes, 24k)
Truck backed up to the loading dock, driver cut it off, unloaded and went to leave and would just spin over/ no start. Truck was put on the hook and stored in a warehouse for years. I purchased the truck last month and had it towed home.

Read 100's of post and i THINK am on track of the culprit but need any and ALL thoughts before i get into it.
The codes are 111, 312, 335 and 313

Things that i have done:
Checked power / ground to IPR
Removed fuel lift pump on HPOP and saw shaft to HPOP turning (read about gear coming off)
Removed braided line off HPOP and turn over with no oil coming out.
Removed (i believe) oil temp with no oil running out (above HPOP, screws into back of rear plate above HPOP.)
Checked oil on stick before starting and it was full.
All three battery's are new and holding 11.1 while turning.

My thought by reading all the post is pickup tube in the pan? One way to check is to over fill by 2 gallons and turn over to see if pressure is building? Sound ok?
Or could be the "oil pressure regulator" which i believe is in the front of the motor after you split the oil housing to the left of the crank?? Is there a way to check this before tear down or a way to flush it with air or fluid? Am i on the right track?

Ask and i will answer if any other info is needed.

I am no diesel mechanic but i like to fix my own stuff. I know this sounds strange but i do enjoy it. Sorry ahead of time for me not knowing what a "ipr" is for example until i google it. I have pressure gauges and fitting up to 10k so i can check pressures when i get pressure.

One stupid thing that i'm not sure of is WHERE to check normal engine oil pressure with a gauge at the motor. I see on the drivers side down by the pan there is a sensor that i think would be where i hook a gauge up. Is that the place or?

Thanks for any and all help with this. I have to admit that i won't be much help to others until i get this under my belt. I then can post help to others on things I KNOW THAT HELPED ME.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
My thought by reading all the post is pickup tube in the pan? One way to check is to over fill by 2 gallons and turn over to see if pressure is building? Sound ok?
While I'm no expert, in learning towards the pickup tube.
I'm not sure over filling is a good idea.
It's real easy to just drop the pan and look. After sitting for a decade, the oil needs to go anyway. Good chance there's condensaton and goo in the pan that should be cleaned out.
Sounds like a good project!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasong View Post
While I'm no expert, in learning towards the pickup tube.
I'm not sure over filling is a good idea.
It's real easy to just drop the pan and look. After sitting for a decade, the oil needs to go anyway. Good chance there's condensaton and goo in the pan that should be cleaned out.
Sounds like a good project!
Thanks for the reply Jasong

I am am leaning towards the pickup tube also. What i have read is i have to pull harmonic bal out some to get to the bolts to the pickup tube.??
The oil looks great that in it so was hoping to just put 2 gallons in and spin it over to see oil pressure. Anyone every tried this? Thanks again for reading, S

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 12:33 PM

To check the oil pressure there is a sensor on the left side of the engine block just
below the rear of the HPOP. If the engine has an air compressor there will be a Tee
in that spot with the sensor and an oil line to the compressor. If you have oil pressure
at this fitting and no oil coming out of the outlet fitting at the HPOP then the
IPR has probably failed.

Terry
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_g View Post
To check the oil pressure there is a sensor on the left side of the engine block just
below the rear of the HPOP. If the engine has an air compressor there will be a Tee
in that spot with the sensor and an oil line to the compressor. If you have oil pressure
at this fitting and no oil coming out of the outlet fitting at the HPOP then the
IPR has probably failed.

Terry
Terry, Pulled the plug on the "t" and hook up gauge. Spun it over about 10sec and no pressure. Then left the plug out and spun it with no oil coming out.
Pulled the oil temp out (above the HPOP" and it was dry.
Now what? Anyone??? Thanks, S
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 11:09 AM

Sounds like you're down to,
1) broken gear/shaft in the LP oil pump
2) broken pick up tube
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 11:49 PM

The oil pump is on the front of the crankshaft in the front cover no
shaft or gear driving it. There is a pressure regulator and a relief valve
that control the oil pressure. I believe they are both located in the front
cover in your engine. I have a hard time believing the pickup tube would have failed.

Terry
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_g View Post
The oil pump is on the front of the crankshaft in the front cover no
shaft or gear driving it. There is a pressure regulator and a relief valve
that control the oil pressure. I believe they are both located in the front
cover in your engine. I have a hard time believing the pickup tube would have failed.

Terry
Pulled the tube and checked it. It was fine.
Pulled the engine oil pump (on crank) and it looks worn. Light grooving and some wear on the gear lobes in the pump. Leaning towards that being it.
With it not filling the front cover i don't think it's the pressure Reg but i could be wrong. What do you all think? With it not reading any oil pressure at the "t" or with "t" plug removed at pressure sending unit and spinning motor over no oil coming out at all. Held finger over plug hole while turning and felt not pressure. I can picture the pump groves if someone can make a guess if they think it's bad? Thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:03 PM

The oil pressure regulator is located behind the oil cooler.
I would pull it and see if the spring broke or the valve stuck open.
Make sure when you re install the pump you prime it.
Engine assembly lube white grease works well.
I'm attaching some pages out of the shop manual.

Terry

Terry
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:30 PM

Garage
Forgive me. I didn't want to start another thread, since this is related.

My truck died and I can't get it started now. Every once in a while if I crank it for a like a minute, it will finally start, but it will only run as long as I hold the throttle at around 2K or more. As soon as I release the throttle, it dies and it will not start again. It's not building oil pressure at crank like it's supposed to. I suspect the oil pressure regular valve behind the oil filter housing is stuck open, or the spring broke, or something. I assume I'm going to have to pull the housing off to get to it, and then pull it out according to figure 414, as shown above.

Does anybody have a part number of the pressure regulator valve, or know where I can buy one? (Item number 12 in the first diagram above, and # 9 in the second diagram.) I can't seem to find anybody that has them for sale.

- Deeplist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode