Detroit DD15 with blown head gasket - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Truck engine machinist, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 516 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Saving members money

Garage
Detroit DD15 with blown head gasket

I am working on a Detroit DD15 that blew it's head gasket on #6 cylinder. When I checked it out, I found that the liner protrusion was at .005" (even with a new liner). I looked up the specification for liner protrusion, and found that the specification is .0055" to .0105". This trucker would like to turn the power up on his engine, but I am afraid that he will have more head gasket problems, if he does that. Does anyone know of a way to get the liner protrusion up to the high side of the spec, without removing the engine, and resurfacing the block deck? Does Detroit make shims or over length liners. As the counterbore is over 8", down in the block, I do not think that a counterbore cutter is made that will machine the counterbore that is that deep. It would have to be very accurate, as that is what controls the liner protrusion. I think that this would be neccesary, if a trucker wants to up the power considerably. Any help would be much appreciated. I have also seen some BADLY pitted counterbores on several of these engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Saving members money
Threadstarter

Garage
I have come up with a solution. I assembled a counterbore machine (out of two different machines) to machine the DD15 counterbores for stainless steel shims. (.024" and .058") It cut VERY accurately, and I can clean up most of the counterbore erosion, and get the liner height up to .0105", which is the high side of the spec. This should be a big money saving procedure, for the poor independent trucker who would need to buy a $35,000 engine, because his counterbores are bad, and it's out of warranty.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:53 AM

Awesome job.
Now to sell the rig!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dd15, detroit, head gasket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode