3406A DI Injection Pump Help - ynot? SmolinCAT? - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by 1972RedNeck, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 544 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

3406A DI Injection Pump Help - ynot? SmolinCAT?

Got a 3406A DI in a 1982 Steiger tractor. Currently set to 360 HP. I would like to get it up to 400 or 425 if possible. The thing is, it doesn't look like the pump shown in THIS ARTICLE or the pump on our B model - there is no "heart" shaped cover. Attached is the Serial and Arrangement numbers.

If anyone could tell me how to increase the fuel rate a touch I would appreciate it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170324_101355.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	672.8 KB
ID:	39929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
So I was dinking around this evening and got to looking at the back of the pump. Being in a farm tractor, it has no air/fuel control assembly. On the back of the pump was a rectangular plate that had tamper wire running through the bolts. I pulled it off and found the rack travel screw. Thinking that I had read in the above article that 1 turn was about 20 HP, I backed it out about 2 1/2 turns. After reviewing the above article, it says to not start with more than 1 turn to start with on B models but that on A models just take the screw out.

Are the pumps that much different? Will my EGT's be alright with the screw 2 1/2 turns out? How many HP should I be sitting at with the screw 2 1/2 turns out from the stock 360 HP setting?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I hitched up to the disc this afternoon. To my surprise, it runs exactly like it did - still have 14 psi max boost and still no more than 700 on the pyro and no more power. Thinking that I must have a fuel delivery problem, I tapped a pressure gauge in at the port on the filter head. At full load the pressure pulled down to 25 ish so I shimmed the relief valve on the pump to get it up to 40 ish at full load. This didn't make any difference in power or gauge readings either.

Do I have an underlying problem here? The tractor has always seemed to pull more like a 320 HP tractor than the 360 HP that it's supposed to be.

Any suggestions?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Don't all reply at once now...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:40 PM

I looked at the article you posted.. a d sorry to say, that guy that wrote that is a tool box!

With that said, I don't recognize your engine s/n because it's in an ag tractor. You say it's an A model, and direct injection, but that doesn't make sense, is the injection pump (where the fuel lines come out ) right at the back of the front cover or are they in the middle of the engine?
An a model the pump is smaller and in the middle of the engine, driven by an accessory drive, where a B model is driven off a gear in the front cover...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:52 AM

Garage
Adding larger injectors are an easy way of adding more hp. A reputable diesel shop should be able to put larger nozzles on yours and rebuild them for not too much $. Too bad it's not a newer electronic engine. I could Ekotune it for you.

'95 T800 N14 13sp DO 4.33 gears
'89 W900B 444 Cummins CPL 1280 18sp 3.55 w/2sp axles 19ft CIM grain/silage box
'03 Dodge 2500 4x4 6sp modded just right
'05 Dodge 3500 4x4 6sp w/ Triple C hydra bed
Smarty Touch Centramatics ATS ex manifolds
'06 IH 4300 DT466 Alison 245HP
Authorized Ekotuning.com dealer
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnutz View Post
I looked at the article you posted.. a d sorry to say, that guy that wrote that is a tool box!

With that said, I don't recognize your engine s/n because it's in an ag tractor. You say it's an A model, and direct injection, but that doesn't make sense, is the injection pump (where the fuel lines come out ) right at the back of the front cover or are they in the middle of the engine?
An a model the pump is smaller and in the middle of the engine, driven by an accessory drive, where a B model is driven off a gear in the front cover...
Yes, the injection pump has a long accessory drive driving it - same as the pre-cup A model in out '78 Pete.

So is the screw in the back of the pump is the right way to turn the fuel up, right? I know they made 400 HP versions of the same tractor, so I should be able to squeeze a little more fuel out of it.

But why can't I? Do I need to back the screw out more?

Last edited by 1972RedNeck; 04-03-2017 at 03:07 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Toney View Post
Adding larger injectors are an easy way of adding more hp. A reputable diesel shop should be able to put larger nozzles on yours and rebuild them for not too much $.
I should be able to get more fuel out of it as is though. Once I get that figured out, if I need more, I can get my injector tips extrude honed.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:49 AM
w9l

Garage
If your application happens to share injectors with say a 320 hp version it is somewhat possible (I would think) that you are at the max of what fuel the tips can deliver. at a given psi, you can only cram so much fuel through a certain size of hole.
I am no authority and have never been in an A model pump or governor but something else to consider would be the torque rise (or lack there of) available from the governor. Unlike most other common engine brands found in road tractors, Cat's b/c governor works somewhat like the governor on a farm tractor by adjusting itself to maintain a given speed matching throttle position at cruise. In other words, your foot stays in the same place when you hit a rise in the terrain but governor adjusts rack accordingly to try to maintain the given speed. The amount of this compensating feature is not a real high percentage and can accidently be defeated by mis-adjusting the rack travel screws(or removing them both)
Instead of allowing the rack to pretty well fly wide open in an effort to maintain engine speed under load(the way an old farm tractor will) the amount of compensation would be (this is just a s.w.a.guess) under 20 % but when working right is a big factor in the way a Cat pulls. That said it is also smooth and suttle enough you don't really notice it happening so much. Just a slight increase in boost and maybe a little extra wisp of smoke as you ascend the rise. But if in some way you defeat the torque rise feature you will know it even if you have increased fuel settings.

In summary,

1. research the type of governor you are dealing with here. Increasing fuel delivery available may result in no noticable power increase if the governing system is restricting power to some given level based on inputs (especially if torque rise has been defeated) (assuming your tractor even has such a feature)

2.In the case that injectors are pretty well maxxed out at the tractors's factory spec, a huge and noticeable difference may come from increasing injector size-even if you put the screws back to or near stock (ask me how I know) Of course, you may quickly surpass the efficient function of your turbo at such a level and then here comes your higher egt....

3. I am no pro. just throwing out some ideas while eating breakfast and any contradictory views will not insult me especially if coming from the small handful of pros left that visit here.

Just me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode