1989 International Dump - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by fourwheelinj1, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 336 times.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bcgtx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

1989 International Dump

Looking at buying an 89 international 1954 at an auction. I ran the VIN through my local dealer and it has the 210hp 466 with a 5 speed manual trans and a 4.44 rear end. My dad went and looked at the truck and said it is not a 2 speed rear which is surprising since I thought most all the 5 speeds around that time were 2 speed rear ends. The dealer said his info said the trans is a T364 discontinued. I am not sure what that means and he didn't seem to know much either. I am assuming that since it is a 5 speed that it is a Spicer trans. The truck is a 32k GVWR with air brakes. I am wondering if the gearing will be low enough to handle heavy loads off road around our farm. Our current truck F700 has a 2 speed rear that we use a lot off road, but it is also a small gas engine with very low power. I guess my question is does anyone have any info on this trans. I am curious about the ratios. I want to make sure that a 4.44 rear with only a 5 speed will be able to start off with a heavy load off road. I would prefer a 5 speed with 2 speed rear, or even a 6 or 7 speed but beggars can't be choosers. I have looked for a long time to find a 466 with air brakes and 16' bed in my price range and there isn't much out there. Lots of juice brakes but with the towing i need to do air brakes would be much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 03:23 AM

Some of those came with ten speeds. If it is cheep enough and won't do that job 10 speed or two speed it. That is not an off road set up.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ok, well looks like won the auction. I won't pick up the truck till next week so it will be a week or two before I get to try it with a load. What all would be involved in switching it to a two speed rear? Can you keep the same rear axle and just change out the third member and then add the switch and electrical? Also on different GVWR trucks are the rear axles actually different or just heavier springs?

Sorry for all the questions. I know how to work on jeeps, light trucks, atvs etc, but fairly new to the medium duty world.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 12:03 AM

I have a 1989 with a DTA360 and a 5 speed manual. It's no speed demon but, it's got plenty of power for hauling 10 yards of dirt around the property or diwn the street to the neighbor's house. I use 2nd to start moving empty, only use 1st when it's got a load or I'm starting on an incline. I can drive it out of the dirt pit, which is about 10' deep, with a full bed. I think you'll be fine with the transmission that's in it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
tenwheeler likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 02:14 AM

The axles are often different also. If you swap do the whole thing as you often have problems like axle splines and housing cut out for the two speed. Even the spring hangers maybe different. I would try it out first and see if yours works out like bcgtx's truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode