Rear axle seals - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Duke, this thread has received 27 replies and been viewed 3110 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy

Rear axle seals

I've had my rear axle seals done twice now this year. The first time was done by someone that I didn't use before and they just sprayed axle oil all over the insides of the wheels. I took it back to another shop, had them redone and they still leak, but not nearly as bad, just a few dots of oil on the wheels.

Is it normal for them to leak a bit when you first get the truck back from the shop? Do they take a few miles to get set-up?

I guess I can live with a few spots here & there, but when DOT pulls me over, they'll probably not like it.

Should I be taking it back a 3rd time to do these seals again? issed:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Fire App. Mech.

Because you said the inside of the wheels I think you mean the axle shaft gaskets/orings and not the wheel seals themselves. That would put oil into the brake drums, not on the wheels. Anyway no they are not supposed to leak at all. These two parts (axle/hub) have no relative motion to each other so it should not be that hard to make them tight. Just take it back and make them do their work right

Birken
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter

Birk,

It's just spatterings of small oil droplets on the outside of the outer-dual wheel rim on the truck. IOW, it makes the outer white steel rim look like it has oil spattered on it. Nothing on the inside, near the brakes.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Rodney Dangerfield of TG

Send a message via AIM to partsguy662 Send a message via Yahoo to partsguy662
What brand of seals are they using Duke?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 07:08 PM
International Tech.

Take a look at the nuts and studs holding the axle shaft into the hub. Make sure that they all look even. Meaning, one of them doesn't have a ton of thread sticking out and the others don't. I fixed a truck that had the studs backing out of the hub causing the a severe leak. If the metal gasket that you get from IH doesn't fix the leak and the studs look good, clean the surfaces and use Permatex 518 and go around all the bolt holes and flange on the shaft. That should take care of the problem.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy662
What brand of seals are they using Duke?
I don't know what brand they used :shrug:

2003Edge,

I do notice that one or 2 of the studs has more thread sticking out than the rest. Plenty of new Permatex excess oozed out from the edges of the flange.....

If I take the nuts & lock washers off, and remove the cap, will the new gasket get trashed in the process? Will I lose a lot of oil ? I really don't want to do this issed: but the company that did it for me is just too far away to drive back to to get it resolved. issed:
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 11:19 PM

Just a simple check I had it happen to me twice on the same truck and at different times is to check the vent on top of the axle to make sure it isn't plugged, that will cause all kinds of problems but only when you build up enough pressure. I was changing mine about twice a year when I did my brakes but have since changed over to hub pilot from spokes and I love it. I hope this helps.

2005 F-250 Dark Toreador Red, Lariat Lux. package, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, 4x4, ESOF, tow command, Sirius Satellite radio, Retrax bed cover, Kermit Coolant filter, GOS Headlight harness, Fog light High beam Mod, Heated mirrors upfitter #1, AIC Upfitter #4, Wix Powertrap , Harpoon Mod, CCV mod, Magnaflow 4" turbo back and no kitty, Oil Guard by-pass, and Schaeffers 5w40.
work trucks:
94 ford Ln8000 8.3 cummins MD3060
91 ford Ls8000 7.8 ford allison MT653
98 Freightliner FL80 8.3 cummins MD3060
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 05:44 AM
International Tech.

Yeah, a plugged vent will mess you up too. But those tend to blow out inner hub seals and pinion seals.

As for not losing fluid, jack up that side of the axle and let it sit for a few minutes and they oil should run down into the other hub and housing. Sometimes we don't even use gaskets and just use the 518 stuff.

We normally only use one or the other. If they used both, that could cause some issues as well.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Fire App. Mech.

Yeah the first step with any axle leakage problem is to verify that the vent is open, as stated if you park the truck with that wheel higher than the other that should prevent much oil from falling out. I agree this is a case where somebody may have slopped silicone all over it not knowing what he was doing. It depends on the style of gasket/seal whether I will use silicone or not.

Birken
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
'Ol Builder guy
Threadstarter

The sealant they used is grey in color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode