dt 466 issues - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by navistar45, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 4091 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

dt 466 issues

ok guy's, need some thoughts or suggestions. about 2 weeks back i bought a flat nose schools at a school auction. its a international chassis, with the 466 engine and allison 545 auto, mileage is 100k. [1995 model] any way the bus starts and idle's fine as any 466 i have owned, wether the eng temp is hot or cold. about a 1/2 mile after leaving the auction site and getting up to the posted speed of 55mph, the engine would bog down and start blue smokeing bad, rpms drop as low as 1300 with foot pedal at half or full thottle either one. it would do this intermediatly, and then run fine for a 1/4 to half mile or so, and do it again. during the 50 mile trip home, speeds would drop from around 55/60mph, down to sometimes as low as 30. i pulled over and the engine would idle just fine, and the smoke would stop, no noise other then the normal engine noise. it did this numerous times the whole way home there is no blowby on the engine, no loss or rise of the oil level, and the coolant is fine as well. i changed the fuel filter, although it looked clean. it acts as though it's getting air, but mainly does this under a load only. sitting in park, it's hard to duplicate the problem by just gunning the engine, however it will to a small extent act up. the fellow following me home said the smoke had a rich fuel smell to it when the blue smoke starts to roll . any thoughts before i go to spending a lot of time traceing for fuel leaks[ so far i havent found any drips or such] ??? thanks. jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

Je sais que vous avez vraiment changé les filtres de carburant cependant avez-vous drainé le réservoir encore ?

Belive moi il y a alot de rebut dans le réservoir il peut limiter le carburant flowage.

Un bout ici :

N'importe quand vous changez le filtre de carburant devient un vide peut et déposer tout le carburant du filtre et si vous voyez alot de gunk ou l'eau comming du filtre alors c'est un bon temps pour ouvrir l'évacuation de réservoir pour obtenir l'eau ou les algues peuvent faire boucher le tube de succion en haut avec des algues ou d'autres débris.

I know you did change the fuel filters however did you drain the tank yet ?

Belive me there is alot of junk in the tank it can restrict the fuel flowage.

A tip here :

Anytime you change the fuel filter get a empty can and dump all the fuel out of the filter and if you see alot of gunk or water comming out of the filter then it is a good time to open the tank drain to get the water or algae can get the suction tube clogged up with algae or other debris.

Merci,Marc
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 AM

Check the air filter. See if it's plugged up.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

i drained the f filter marc, not a spec of anything came out. clean as a pin! i really hope there not a issue in the tank, trying to rule out the little stuff first. as for air filter, it crossed my mind, and although its very hard to get to, i think i will try that next. seeing it's hard to get to, might mean it hasnt been serviced in a while. after 10 years of owning 466 powered trucks, i can say other then one water pump replacment, i have never had to work on these engines! sorta lost as what the problem could be. keep the suggestions coming guys...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Hacky!

Send a message via Yahoo to Binderpower
Did you check the fuel pump. Everything is fine, in respects to to air leakage, is it blead etc, etc. I know I have had problems like this and it was a cheap in line fuel filter. One of those plastic ones that is fed by the rubber hose after it is filter from the primary and secondary filters. This doesn't have one of those on it does it? Just a thought...

Why farm half when you can FARMALL!

Give fools their gold, and knaves their power;
Let fortune's bubbles rise and fall;
Who sows a field, or trains a flower,
Or plants a tree, is more than all.- Whittier.

"A Liberal is a person who will giveaway everything he doesn't own

When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both
Diesel Power
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

Le filtre à air est possiblty dû l'autobus plat de devant a vraiment s'infiltrent la plus mauvaise tache qu'où vous prendrez vraiment des débris comme le grand temps.

Je suis juste devenu fait un certain mantainice sur le front d'appartement de Thomas Bus aussi le filtre est sous le pas de devant directement derrière le butoir je déteste cette tache finissent achètent un nouveau camionnage hébergeant dû le logement de filtre n'est pas utilisable!

Comme loin pour la jauge de restriction de filtre à air il devrait être sur la pipe de consommation entre le turbo et Filtre à air regarde autrement le côté passener directement derrière le panneau juste de devant qu'une de deux taches vous constaterez que la jauge de restriction est.

Ce logement cela m'a coûté peu plus de 100 dollars.

Ensuite le pas est le contrôle la ligne de carburant un jour ou l'autre ils arriveront enflent et limitent le carburant flowage là ainsi le contrôle cela aussi.

The air filter is possiblty due the flat front bus do have filter in the worst spot that where you will really pick up debris like big time.

I just got done some mantainice on the Thomas Bus flat front as well the filter is under the front step right behind the bumper I hate that spot end up buy a new cartage housing due the filter housing is non serviceable!

As far for air filter restriction gauge it should be on the intake pipe between the turbo and airfilter otherwise look at the passener side right behind the front right panel that one of two spots you will find the restriction gauge is.

That housing it cost me little over 100 dollars.

Next step is check the fuel line sometime they will get swell up and restrict the fuel flowage there so check it out as well.

Merci,Marc
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

you make a good point marc. the af location on many flatnoses is in a horrible location. i bought a blue bird with a 5.9 cummins last year, same location. i would really like to solve this issue with a simple airfilter change, summer time is the worst time for me to devote much time to anything but my contracting buisness. binder i have chkd for any aftermarket stuff, everything appear stock, and supprisely clean. i'am kinda wondering about a lift pump issue also?? keep the thoughts coming guy's..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 06:27 AM
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

Cela possiblty une question avec la pompe de relevage mais ce que je sais jusqu'ici useally du DT'S n'a pas la question majeure avec cela cependant avec Cummins B le moteur de série, Ouais j'ai entendu dire que l'abondance de cela, particulièrement avec la série de pompe de VP44 { de Dodge reprend les propriétaires ont la question avec cela vérifiez ainsi le Dodge prennent la section ils ont alot de bons bouts là}

Ici d'autre tour vous devriez essayer de faire pression en haut sur le réservoir à carburant {n'a pas besoin de beaucoup de pression environ 3 à 5 psig le feront} et si vous trouvez la fuite sous la pression qu'où vous aurez une fuite de trou d'épingle qu'il cause pour sucer l'air dans le système d'alimentation.

That possiblty a issue with lift pump but what I know so far the DT's useally don't have major issue with it however with Cummins B series engine, Yeah I heard plenty about it, especially with VP44 pump series { alot of Dodge pick up owners have issue with that so check out the Dodge pick up section they have alot of good tips there }

Here other trick you should try to pressure up the fuel tank { don't need much pressure about 3 to 5 psig will do it } and if you find the leak under the pressure that where you will have a pinhole leak which it cause to suck air in the fuel system.

Merci,Marc
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Hacky!

Send a message via Yahoo to Binderpower
How is the fuel line, does it collapse? If the line is weak and weathered, it will collapse under vacuum and cause the fuel restriction... It is just a thought. I have had this happen as well, on a gasser though.

Why farm half when you can FARMALL!

Give fools their gold, and knaves their power;
Let fortune's bubbles rise and fall;
Who sows a field, or trains a flower,
Or plants a tree, is more than all.- Whittier.

"A Liberal is a person who will giveaway everything he doesn't own

When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both
Diesel Power
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binderpower View Post
How is the fuel line, does it collapse? If the line is weak and weathered, it will collapse under vacuum and cause the fuel restriction... It is just a thought. I have had this happen as well, on a gasser though.
Il n'importe pas si vous avez le moteur diesel ou du gaz tous les deux résulteront le même la ligne de carburant peut s'effondrer. si vous frappez vraiment l'accélérateur durement que quand le flux de carburant est le plus haut qu'où il montrera.

It don't matter if you have diesel or gas engine both will result the same the fuel line can collapse. if you really hit the throttle hard that when the fuel flow is the highest that where it will show up.

Merci,Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode