The Diesel Garage banner

DT466 swap in 1971 travelette

68K views 250 replies 18 participants last post by  Jesse M. 
#1 ·
Not sure this is the right fourm, move if necessary. I'm swapping a 1988 DT466 into my 71 travelette. Just have a few questions. My goal is around 500 rwhp. What pump should this engine have and is it up to snuff for 500? It appears to be an inline pump. What trans should it be? Its a 5 speed but not sure if its od or direct. My plan is to get the biggest yokes available for the divorced np205 case. I'm going to run a D60 front. I'm undecided on a rear axle, I have a corporate 14b I was thinking of regearing to 3.55 for the back. again seeing what yokes I could match up and hope driveshafts arn't my weak links. Opinions and input greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-Jon

#2 ·
That's a lot of iron under a real short hood. I had the same idea a few years ago, but Travelettes arent so easy to find.
The 466 should have an MW pump, which could possibly be made to make flow for 500hp, but it will be smokey and hard to fine tune. That's why so many people run a P-pump. There's adapters made available at a few of the tractor pulling sites.
Hard to say what 5 speed it would be, but very unlikely to be overdrive.

#3 ·
Yeah its going to be tight. Everyone said a 6.9 was too big for a scout too... I know I'm going to have to build a doghouse, but I'm not afraid. I got the truck in arizona and drove it 2700 miles home to nepa! Doing some rust repair now, waiting for the parts truck to get delivered to my shop to start cutting it up. I will eventually save up for a p pump but I'd like to use what I got now before I dump a pile into it. What its involved into squeezing the hp out of this pump? Can I use the injectors in it, and is the factory turbo good for that hp? I've figured out how to get some power from the idi's, never played with a 466 before. Thanks for the reply!

#4 ·
Adjusting the fuel screw, or removing it is about it. Then, tightening the gov springs, and advancing the timing, is about it for free mods. There's a big factory injector, which will flow enuf for around 300hp after those other mods. The stock turbo will probably do ok in something so light weight. Yes, I did call a Travelette light, just compared to what a 466 is made to pull. Those are one of my favorite old rides.
The link is the fuel adjustment. I have youtube vids on how to do the fuel, timing, and gov springs. It's super easy....You'll get hooked!
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7297

#5 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll probably send the pump out to get serviced and see what they can free up in hp there. Do you know where I can get the better injectors, or can they open mine up to flow more? Also any idea if a 14 bolt will hold up in the rear??

#6 ·
If you can swing it, a P-pump swap is more cost effective, and easier to tune. Otherwise, see if they can get some 12 or 13mm plungers withOUT the low rpm timing retard. My local pump shop can do that without using china parts, and it's pushing $4k.
The injectors arent too hard to find with a basic websearch of dt466 performance. I know a guy that sells the biggest factory injector. I'm not allowed to directly link it, even though you can already see the link.

#7 ·
Ugh...there was a '94 466 in the local u pull it but I wasn't sure if it was a p pump. When I went back to get it the truck was gone... Ugh. I'll have to save up I don't want to get carried away dumping money into the engine before I drive the truck.

#8 · (Edited)
A 94 is for sure a P-pump. Those started in mid 93. Just look before you buy. The NGD(p-pump) have a high mount pump. The older ones were down low at frame level.
After thoughts: the GM14 bolt is, in my measly opinion, the strongest stock pickup axle. Next step up is a Dana from an F550. You can get better gears with a Rockwell from a med duty truck. No, not a Deuce Rockwell.

#9 ·
Thanks for the axle input. I'm trying to keep the stock 8 lug wheels. I know with the 550 or bigger i'd have to have the hub machined for the correct pattern, if the wheel would even fit over them. I've been reading about the 14b and the supported pinion gear sounds plenty strong. I dont plan on going any bigger than 33s also. (i said that with the scout abd its on 39.5s now......) The front is a gm dana 60. I've heard that may not enjoy the torque the 466 will put down but I can try upgrading gears and axleshafts if necessary. My next issue is finding the biggest yokes and u joints I can get for the np205, and the rears. We build our own shafts so I will order the thickest tube I can find for the yokes I get.

#10 ·
any idea on what would be a good gear ratio? i have axles with 4.10's in them, i was thinking of going 3.55's. i'll probably be going with an overdrive box of some sort too. tire size will be in the 33-35" range.

#14 ·
Where can I get a full gasket kit? I don't need the works kit with the liners and bearings. Its got low miles, just all the seals have dried up and are leaky. Also I'm only running an alternator and a ac pump, where can I get the ag pulleys I dont need 15 ribs on the pulleys. Does the power steering pump run the same pressure as a standard gm ps pump? I plan on running my hydroboost and ps through it,, just wondering if I have to regulate it down at all. Thanks!

#15 ·

Never put a picture of the travelette up. Here it is when I backed it in to start the teardown. The cab is a bare shell now and the ol 392 is out.

Reactions: Golddigger
#16 ·
A dealer or ebay for a gasket set. The ps pump will overheat and have problems necking down to 3/8. Pipewhiner sent his to PSC to get modded to work with it.

Reactions: Jesse M.
#17 ·
Any specific company to look for? I've been searching google and ebay with no luck. I'll have to give psc a call.

#19 ·
Looks Like a fun project.

#20 ·
well i chopped up the cab and chassis today. :beer:

my friend taking it for a drive....

any info on this trans.... first gear ratio? od..?

that's it for today! :rockon:

#21 ·
Been thinking about transmissions lately. Definately staying manual. wondering if maybe a nv4500 might be a better idea to stay with overdrive. Any ideas?

#22 ·
We had to build a gantry crane just to move this sucker. i wasn't going to pay $650 at HF, so some scrap, a chain hoist, and some wheels and VIOLA! perfect crane!

made it mobile!

hidden under the grease:

ready to go in for some fitting:

off with the bed!

moved back the cab to make room to set down the engine.

ahhh progress! i have the next 12 days off so stay tuned.

Reactions: New 0mega
#23 ·
:popcorn :beerdrink looks facinating

#24 ·
I've got an fs5106A 6 speed sitting in the back.

#26 ·
Made some room:

between the rails for the first time!

ok so the cab would need a 7" body lift......

touching the floor......

making some room.

oh, hello there..

have to rework the front braces and notch the frame to come forward about 4".

enough for tonight, back at it tomorrow!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.