The Diesel Garage banner

jeep conv.

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cbtumedic 
#1 ·
I was wondering if any one knew the smog rules in cali. I want to put either Complete 1600cc VW diesel and 5 speed transmission from a 1981 VW pickup. or a Engine has low compression in the #2 cylinder. It is the 617 cast iron 5 cylinder Turbo Diesel. It came out of my 1982 300SD. :shrug: :Thumbup: :thanks:

#2 ·
From what I've found, it's a matter of doing the paperwork at the DMV. Not 100% sure on year differences yet. I'll be dealing with that some time next year. I'm putting a 93-95 med duty truck diesel in a gasser Super Duty.

#4 ·
powerstrokin350 said:
ya i went to look at a cj-5 and the guy said he worked at dmv for 2.5 yrs and the motor has to come from a 50 state vehicle not a 48 state.:shrug:
An engine coming from a medium duty truck may not be so legal either.....but I'm gonna try.:Thumbup:

#5 ·
Here’s my story. Two years ago I bought an Arizona 89 Cherokee with a blown 4 cyl and towed it to Monrovia CA. I went to AAA Club and started to registration and was told I needed a smog test and a vin # verification. I started by conversion using a MB 300 turbo engine and sixty day later took it back to Auto Club complete the registration. They were able to do the Vin check and I told them it had a diesel engine and I was unable to do the smog check. The lady look under the hood but admitted she didn’t know what she was look at but said she believe me and put the diesel code on the registration and gave me new plates and the temp reg. That was 2 years ago so maybe it will still work. I converted three other vehicles in the past using the same as above. Good Luck.

#6 ·
Cali Emissions

powerstrokin350-

The bottom line answer to your question is, cars newer than 1974 need to be tested and pass California Smog requirements for the year of manufacture.

If you install an engine newer than 1974 it is required to have all the emissions stuff installed, in operating condition and to pass smog tests for the year of the engine's manufacture.

I'm a little confused, are you what engine are you putting in what what car?
If you're putting a 1982 motor in a 1981 car, then you should be okay. You can't go the other way, though.

Example: Say you put a 1978 Corvette motor in a 1985 Caprice. Your VIN is for a car manufactured in 1985 and your engine must comply with 1985 smog rules. So you would have to add all sorts of emission controls on that motor.

Momo

#7 ·
I agree with Momo. As long as the engine isn't older than the vehicle you should be okay, as long as it passes the emissions testing after it is all done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.