front sump to rear sump [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: front sump to rear sump

04lariatfx4crewcab
03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
I was looking at some pictures today and I noticed the 12v from a dodge pickup is a rear sump oil pan but the motor I have is a front sump what will it take to change mine to a rear sump? is it just the oil pan and pickup tube or is there more to it?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to get this figured out before I get too far along.

Thanks

slow00si
03-01-2011, 06:43 PM
should just be the pan and pickup tube as when i had my pan off there is no baffle or anything and also might have to change dipsticks and location depending on where yours is now should be on the d/s towards the back to run the rear sump

04lariatfx4crewcab
03-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I need to look at my dip stick. it currently is toward the front right under the power steering pump. guess I need to cap off the old and find a new location.:damnit

slow00si
03-02-2011, 12:25 AM
yea i glanced at my block earlier and it has a spot in the front that looked to have a freeze plug in it so yours will probably have a spot towards the back under the starter with a plug that needs to be knocked out for the new location then plug the front one

04lariatfx4crewcab
03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks, My motor is set up funny the starter is on the pass. side. But I think I know what you are talking about.

04lariatfx4crewcab
03-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I was looking at it some last night, it looks like I can relocate my dipstick and simply rotate the oil pan 180* but I can not find anything on the oil pick-up, can I just spin that?

slow00si
03-03-2011, 07:01 PM
no the pickup on the truck engine starts from the front on the oil pump then runs along the front of the pan then all the way down the driverside of the pan then drops down for the pickup part and i think the pan is symmetrical so i doubt it will spin around and bolt up

04lariatfx4crewcab
03-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I think I read somewhere that you can rotate the pan but it is bigger than the dodge pan so it might not fit. Dang I should have bought a truck motor, but this was priced right.

MOPSD250
03-04-2011, 02:14 AM
Ya you cant spin the pan if it was a front sump. You gonna have to get a rear sump off a 12/24V and oil pickup to. I got a sweet deal on a 24V with a front sump. Had a buddy who blew his 12V up got his oil pan and pick up. Kinda off subject with the 24V stuff but same concept

04lariatfx4crewcab
03-04-2011, 02:22 AM
MOPSD250, thanks for the info, been looking for a rear sump oil pan not too many floating around. does anyone make an after market or aluminum one?

Hey did you ever get that harmonic ballancer issue worked out?

SSpeeDEMONSS
03-04-2011, 07:24 AM
MOPSD250, thanks for the info, been looking for a rear sump oil pan not too many floating around. does anyone make an after market or aluminum one?

i dont believe there is an aftermarket oil pan out there but im sure for the right price you can have one made. also, IF there is an aftermarket pan, im sure its spendy. call Hellman and see what he's got.

Garrett

04lariatfx4crewcab
03-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I was bumping around the net last night and found that Pure Diesel Power sells them new For $109.00. I was getting scared because Rock Auto is selling them for $230-250. for that price I would just get an aftermarket.

Thanks

MOPSD250
03-08-2011, 01:03 AM

Hey no problem bud. And yes I did get that harmonic balancer issue worked out. I was running a tach ring from a reputable dealer and come to find out they had sent me the wrong spacer for it. I was gonna say Pure Diesel Power has them but it looks like you found that out already. You may wanna check ebay to. I thought I seen one on there. 12/24V will work so will the pickup

oshpunit987
06-07-2011, 03:58 AM
Did you ever find an oil pan or try spinning it end for end? I'm looking at a 6BT in a Freightliner that is set up like yours, front sump and starter on pasenger side with a #2 flywheel housing. I thought I read that all 6BT's are built the same so you would think the pan could be turned around. I priced the pick up tube for a rear sump at a Dodge dealer and they wanted $227. They said the same tube was used on the 5.9 and the 6.7 I may add some pipe to mine and make a pick up tube.

04lariatfx4crewcab
06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Did you ever find an oil pan or try spinning it end for end? I'm looking at a 6BT in a Freightliner that is set up like yours, front sump and starter on pasenger side with a #2 flywheel housing. I thought I read that all 6BT's are built the same so you would think the pan could be turned around. I priced the pick up tube for a rear sump at a Dodge dealer and they wanted $227. They said the same tube was used on the 5.9 and the 6.7 I may add some pipe to mine and make a pick up tube.

I found a used pickup tube and oil pan for $130.00. What are you putting that 6BT into? you can turn the oil pan around but it is a much bigger pan, than the dodge pan, and it might not clear the cross member. And you would need to fab a custon rear sump pickup tube. You can get a new dodge pan for $109.00 from pure diesel and a pickup tube for under 100.00 at a cummins dealer IIRC. don't go to a dodge dealer they are way too proud of there stuff. Yes and the blocks on all 6BT are the same. doesn't matter what they were used in, just the accessories will be different. Even the 4BT have the same block just short 2 cyl.

oshpunit987
06-13-2011, 03:35 AM
I'm going to put it in a 93 Ford dually with a 5 speed new process and 3 speed auxiliary. I'd like to use an RTO6610 but can't find any around here. This 6BT has an air compressor with the power steering pump mounted on the back of the compressor. The Freightliner has air brakes.
Where is the pure diesel you mentioned and what is a cummins dealer IIRC? I've seen IIRC before but doesn't know what it means.

04lariatfx4crewcab
06-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Oh, my freightliner motor did not have air bakes came off an fl50 or fl60, it just has a power steering /hydroboost pump on it. IIRC means if I remember correctly. I would just google cummins part dealers to find one in your neck of the woods. Pure Diesel Power is a parts performance store you can find them on the net. they have lots of stuff with cut sheets so you can see the part and the location it goes on the motor so you know you have the right part.

oshpunit987
06-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the info on the Pure Diesel Power. I started taking that 6BT out of the Freightliner yesterday and there may be an issue with running the exhaust with the started on the passenger side. How do you plan to run your exhaust? My firewall is in the way and there may not be room to run the exhaust behind the motor mount unless I do a body lift. Mine also has an AC compressor on top of the engine. Does yours have that too?

04lariatfx4crewcab
06-18-2011, 04:23 AM
Yes mine has the top mounted AC compressor it is run off of a seperate v-belt.

I am using the dodge transmission adaptor and a 47re that puts the starter on the drivers side so there is plenty of room for my exhaust. you could just run the exhaust throught the hood.

oshpunit987
06-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Yours sounds identical to mine. I expect if I ran the exhaust thru the hood the law would be looking real close at me and I don't need that. I found another problem. I was wanting this thing because it has an SAE #2 flywheel housing and I have a 5 speed that will bolt right up to it. The problem is I have to get a flywheel for a manual transmission. I called Cummins and gave them the engine number and they can not find a flywheel for it. I'm going to give up on it and put my 4-53T Detroit diesel in it and watch for a Dodge truck with a 5 speed. I'll come across one some day.
Good luck with your swap.

04lariatfx4crewcab
06-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I would try another cummins dealer just to get the part number. I had a 5 speed flywheel on my motor when I got it. but I sold it a few months ago. You could tru my ESN it is 56363878.

Good luck