Spread tandem vs. Closed tandem axles [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: Spread tandem vs. Closed tandem axles

bmoeller
08-21-2006, 11:21 PM
We are looking at getting a different bullrack (cattle pot), and was curious if there was really any advantage to get a trailer with spread tandems or not. Most of my loads are straight loads, but have been getting more split loads lately.

Currently run a '95, 102"x 50' spring ride closed tandem Wison pot. Wanting to get a newer trailer with air-ride. Have even been toying with the idea of a tri-axle pot. Would we need to have permits for any/all loads putting us over 80k for either, or both the spread or triple axle trailers? IIRC, someone told me that with the spread or tri axle, you can gross 81k (or more on the triaxle, depending on the particular state you are in).

Any thoughts? Should we stick with the 50-52' closed tandem trailers? Seeing more and more spreads, as of late. Have seen a few quad axle pots, too. :woot:

Bouncer
08-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Besides a little more wieght distribution I can't see any real benefits. On the down side I would think it would be harder to turn loaded and would be more wear and strain on the hubs and tires.

cummins_cowboy
08-21-2006, 11:41 PM
I drove a truck that belongs to a buddy of mine, pulling a spread axle cornhusker hopper trailer. Excellent going straight down the road. But driving around the elevator was a night mare on the rear tires, the trailer pivots on the front axle most of the time. And on the asphalt around the elevator, it would chew those tires up in a hurry. Just my .02.:Thumbup:

bmoeller
08-22-2006, 11:43 AM
That is kind of what I was thinking, too. I'd prefer a tri-axle with the rearmost axle being a liftable one for turns, or when deadheading. The extra carrying ability would be nice. I've had several times where I refused to leave, til they let me take some cattle off because was I too heavy. We aren't in the business to feed the bears you know. ;)

We do have a triaxle dozer trailer that is spring ride. My biggest complaint with it is, that when backing around tight corners, you never which set of axles it will pivot on. Sometimes the front or rear. Can get you in trouble real quick in tight places. Sometimes it will pivot on one set, then switch to pivot on a different set as well. Gets interesting sometimes.

I10HaulR
08-24-2006, 03:04 AM
I spread my own on my G/n, just behind where it was originally. Helped the ride, spreads weight per axles a little better.

But!!! It eats up tires, harder to turn, blows out hub seals.

Conclusion: I pretty much wasted my time doing it, and it will continue to PIS* me off every time I buy tires.

I think the tri-with lift axle is what you need. It's the only choice for more weight.

bmoeller
08-25-2006, 02:29 AM
I know what you mean about the tire issue on the spread. Not as bad if you don't turn really tight, but not always a way to avoid it.

Neighbor has a 51' Wilson for sale. I suspect we'll be getting that one. Pretty decent shape. Has lots of lights, too. :D Ours doesn't.

Lmackattack
09-03-2006, 04:02 AM
We have a 53' featherlight spread axel trailer at work that I pull to the race tracks. It does help balance the weight better but it is real hard on the tires loaded or empty. I have to be real carefull in the old trucks stops with potholes that a small car would get stuck in. We had a driver pull that trailer once and he had a blowout in a lot because it ripped the tire off the bead in a deep pot hole. He was new to this kind of trailer and likely had made a hard turn over the hole? they do ride better as the spread does not follow the same "ripple affect" that the standard tandems pound into the ground.

bmoeller
09-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Well, we're still looking. Doubt we'll buy the neighbors trailer after all. He let us pull it home, to look it over closer, outside. Was all over it, and the more I looked at it, the more problems I found. Pulls MUCH nicer than our, though. Don't hardly feel it back there. :D

Will probably need to put 2-3 grand in it right off. Most of that in new virgin rubber.

ClassicTranspor
10-02-2006, 06:24 AM
If u go with a spread, add a drop valve to both axles, gives u a choice on which axle to take the pressure off of and really saves the tires in a turn

bmoeller
10-02-2006, 06:59 AM
If we got one, I would do that. Boss doesn't want to get a spread axle though. Says too much $$$$$$$. :damnit

Might have a lead on a 51', '02 Wilson pot. Alum wheels and lots of lights. :D

imported_Saftman
10-02-2006, 12:38 PM
With a spread you can carry a little more weight on one or both axles but you still can't gross over 80,000#. :Thumbup: :usflag

Jfaulkner
10-03-2006, 12:05 AM
With a spread you can carry a little more weight on one or both axles but you still can't gross over 80,000#. :Thumbup: :usflag

Right however being able to put 40,000 on the trailer rather than 34,000 with a tandem is a HUGE help, especially since you almost never have to scale it out to make it legal. When you don't have to evenly distribute the weight you can haul more. Also tire wear on a tri-axle isn't much different from a spread, which all can be minimized with lift axles and electric dump valves. (there isn't any tire scuff when the axle isn't carrying any weight) And there isn't any comparison on the ride of a spread vs. a tandem. 10' spread all the way!

bmoeller
10-03-2006, 01:39 AM

Yep, already kind of had that figured out.

Right however being able to put 40,000 on the trailer rather than 34,000 with a tandem is a HUGE help, especially since you almost never have to scale it out to make it legal.

That I why I would like a spread. Don't have to worry about the weight split so much.

Jfaulkner
10-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Not to mention a spread is ALOT easier to manuver. Especially since most farms weren't designed for a semi nor are most farms on main state highways. You said your boss doesn't want to spend the extra money but if you pay to get your truck weighed (roughly $6 at a CAT scale each time) and spend time trying to manuver around tight places, wear and tear on the truck sliding the 5th wheel trying to get 12000 on the steering to be legal at 80000. They're not really that much more money. They only trailers we buy that are not spreads are grain hoppers. Only because to get a 10' spread you have to get 48' or longer which is too heavy to be useful. That and when your over gross most of the time the axle weights are useless anyway.:rules:

bmoeller
10-05-2006, 03:45 AM
Not to mention a spread is ALOT easier to manuver. Especially since most farms weren't designed for a semi nor are most farms on main state highways.

The farms we have are that way. :rolleyes: Pretty tight, but we manage.

You said your boss doesn't want to spend the extra money but if you pay to get your truck weighed (roughly $6 at a CAT scale each time) and spend time trying to manuver around tight places, wear and tear on the truck sliding the 5th wheel trying to get 12000 on the steering to be legal at 80000. They're not really that much more money.

On our one day cab, we usually can't get the hitch far enough forward to put 12k up front, with the bullrack. The new truck, the hitch is in the right spot. If I have 34.4k on the drives, I have 12060# up front. Every Cat scale I've used, were $8.50 for the first weigh, and $1 for the re-weigh.

He was telling me that everyone he talked to, was saying that a spread was $10k more than a closed tandem. :shrug:

bmoeller
11-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Well, we got a closed tandem trailer several weeks ago. Still wish it was a spread, but it is a really nice trailer. Got a 51', '01 Wilson pot. Air-ride and all aluminum wheels. Almost enough lights. More than just a plain jane trailer would have, but.......... LOL

Pulls great. Have pulled the old one few times since, with some local work, and MAN do you ever know it is back there. Spring ride beats the crap out of you.

Sapps
12-09-2006, 09:44 AM
One of my 15 Horse rigs is a 51' spread axle. Pulls way better then a closed tandem! You dont know its back there. It has 17.5" tires to make for low loading. At first it was hard on tires!! I added a dump to the rear axle and now it spins on the front without scrubbing tires. You just have to watch the swing on your *** end LOL The horses tell me the spread axle rides better also :Thumbup:

bmoeller: Where are from? I'm from the Barrington Hills/Carpentersville/Algonquin area....

http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1092/4547360/9567085/211933964.jpg

bmoeller
12-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Nice looking outfit. :D

I'm over near Moline.

Some of us TDR guys get together over in Rochelle for pizza. Haven't really done anything over the summer, though. I also missed the last 3 because of work. :( If interested in joining in on the next one, you'd be more than welcome. Ususally meet up at the Petro truckstop.

Lmackattack
12-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Nice trailer Sapps! whos the MFG? I pull a 53' featherlite race hauler at my day job. looks kinda like yours

I live in Fox lake work in Lincolnshire but Im always out near Barrington on weekends for my part time dump trucking.

Dualie
12-12-2006, 06:26 AM
That is kind of what I was thinking, too. I'd prefer a tri-axle with the rearmost axle being a lift able one for turns, or when deadheading. The extra carrying ability would be nice.

when your going down the highway the pull a lot straiter if you raise the front axle and let it roll on the rear. I have seen setups that will let you raise either or. that's the way I would go. they use a second 4pin wiring setup from the tractor to the trailer that works just the air ride.

its the cats *** on 53 Ft. flats.

I recommend Wilson, Barret second.

bmoeller
01-20-2008, 01:44 PM
GOT A BRAND NEW SPREAD! Woohoo! :D Freakin' sweet. Kept the '01 Wilson and got rid of the '95. The new one is an Eby. 53'. Best part is, it only weighs 400# more than the '01. :woot:

Kind of like this one-

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1566893&guid=37110B8AD7FE4BDEAE7876C5ECF0F1F7

Lots of nice features that the Wilson's I've pulled didn't have. Loads MUCH nicer, too. Pulls great. Pulls so good, I feel the tractor suspension more and not the trailer. LOL Like it isn't even there.

Have the 4 wire harness run to install a dump valve on the rear axle and for the backup/work lights. Will have it so I can control both from the cab.

Do need to get a taller truck hitch though. It is making the trailer nose down and putting more weight on my steers than I want.

thejdman04
01-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Very nice trailer congrats