Overheating when pulling? [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: Overheating when pulling?

STV
02-21-2007, 05:32 AM
First off, I have head studs, just got the EGR replaced at dealer after blowing coolant out of overflow and exhaust. So, I towed my 12k trailer and not only did I blow coolant out of the overflow but, my temp gauge would go on up to HOT for about two seconds and then race down to the middle where it belongs. I thought it could be because of the stupid EGR crap so I bought the up pipe from Elite to stop the hot exhaust gas from entering the EGR. Just got back from towing my trailer again and it's the same. Doesn't matter if I'm under a load or not, it still does it about every 15 minutes while towing. Never does it while not towing. I'm still blowing coolant as well. Could the temp issure be a bad thermastat? Do the 6.0's have thermastat issues? My other concern is that it still is blowing coolant even with the studs and EGR delite up pipe. I haven't heard of anyone still having coolant issues with studs and up pipe. Any ideas? Any help would be great. Thanks

bigguy75inches
02-21-2007, 05:45 AM
i know it sounds too easy,, but alot of people have had success just replacing thier coolant cap with a new one. someone had a dealer test theirs and it was only holding 12psi and a new one is suppose to hold 16psi or something like that.. i believe they are less than 8 bucks new from the dealer.

STV
02-21-2007, 07:28 AM
At 8 bucks it can't hurt to pick one up. I'll try it. The only thing is that it only does it when I tow. So, I'll have to wait two weeks until I tow again to see if it worked. Thanks

6.4lkid
02-21-2007, 07:39 AM
My truck was only overheating when towing to, replaced the gaskets, put studs in never had a problem since. When you did the studs, did you replace the head gaskets

Morpheus cycles
02-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Low pressure can cause the coolant to boil at a higher temp. as each extra psi of pressure in the cooling system helps raise the boiling point as well as the 50/50 mix of coolant and water. You can also add the (Water Wetter) additive to the cooling system which will add to the boiling boint and increase the cooling effcenicy of the mixture.

hotshot4819
02-21-2007, 03:09 PM
jeez ive always used the water wetter in all my vehicles and since ive had my diesel for some reason never thought to use it. ill have to go get some and put it in.

STV
02-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Studs went in at the dealer. The dealer would not use the gaskets I provided. So, they used new stock Ford gaskets when they put the studs in. It was about 15,000 miles ago. When I first put them in I didn't have this hot cycle coming and going while towing. It seems odd to be because I can be cruising down the highway @ 2,250 RPM with EGT's below 800 and watch the temp gauge go on up to the "H". About one second later the check gauge idiot light comes on and then by about one more second later the gauge goes right back down the the middle. My first instink says thermastat. But, if it was the thermastat wouldn't it do it while not towing at well? So, now I really don't know what it is.

Morpheus cycles
02-21-2007, 03:50 PM
It could possibly be the stock gaskets. I had the same problem with my truck prior to installing Hypermax gaskets and ATS studs. Sense then I haven't had any pukeing or overheating while towing.

Retorical
02-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Can you hear the fan engaging? I had this problem and the wires to the fan clutch were broke.

STV
02-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Yes, fan comes on quite a bit. Actually more than it ever did with my 04'. That may be because of the fact that it's getting hot. But, the fan coming on doesn't seem to have a factor when the temp drops real fast just after getting in the red zone.

Smoker
02-22-2007, 03:01 AM
Wetter water? Sorry, I need to know more.

Extended Power
02-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Wetter water? Sorry, I need to know more.

Here you go: http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

STV
02-22-2007, 04:49 AM
I've been using it for years on my motorcycles. But, never thought to use it on the truck. Not a bad idea. You can get it at any motorcycle shop in case you're looking.

Retorical
02-22-2007, 05:04 AM
The gauge drops quickley because it is no more than a fancy idiot light. It Only goes past the middle when the truck starts to overheat.

760 PSD
02-22-2007, 05:13 AM
I have the same problem with my dually the dealer replaced the raditor,clutch fan,and serpentine belt but it still gets hot when coming back from glamis. I am going to try having the fan come on when the coolant temp gets to 220 via the sct programmer.

20035f250
02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Is there a lower temp thermostat out there. The stock one is rated 104 c, just curious if we could use something a few degrees cooler. RC51, have you tried the cluster trick to watch coolant temps. Used this the other day on a trip, never saw it get above 94 c. Don't know where the computer gets its reading from though. I need to install an aftermarket gauge to compare the two.

STV
02-23-2007, 03:21 PM
I've never heard of the cluster trick. I'm willing to try it. I'm heading out to Glamis next weekend and will be pulling the grade. What's very odd to me is that the overheating thing doesn't seem to be happening when I'm on the face of the grade. But, rather when I'm on the flats with very little throttle and low EGT's. When I'm cooking it on the grade the water temp doesn't go up like when I'm cruising on the flats. Does that make any sense?