6.5 Turbo install on a 6.2 [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: 6.5 Turbo install on a 6.2

6.2smoke'r
10-18-2007, 04:30 AM
ok, i need some imput on this
i just got a 6.5 used turbo set up. my question is where should i mount the oil feed and return lines into the engine?? same places as the 6.5?
I have heard some huys put the return into the timing chain cover. can you do this without removing the motor? if anyone else has some pics of this it would help alot
-mike

gumps10
10-19-2007, 03:17 PM
6.2smoke'r,
Yes you could go back into the timing cover or you could go with an electric fuel pump and use the manual pump block off plate. I know when they install oil return lines on aftermarket kits alot of times they weld a Bung to the oil pan OR you can use a punch to punch the correct size hole(for your tap) in the oil pan and then using vasaline tap threads into the hole and hook up you're return.
As for you're feed line. The 6.2 doesn't have the spot the 6.5 has for oil feed so you will probebly have to come off of 1 of the ports by the oil filter.
Don't take any off this as gospill this is just what I know.:Thumbup:
Thanks
Dave

12vBOWTIE
10-20-2007, 04:09 AM
hi, i done this on my 91 burban a cpl years ago. the oil feed i used a brass T at the back of the block where the oil sender is and run a line from there to the turbo. the drain, i put in the timing cover. i think i used a 1" pipe nipple.. use a drill bit just a little smaller than the threads. drill the cover. and the nipple will tap itself.. the cover is alum. so if any shavings get in the cover it wont hurt. just drill slow and try to keep most of them out. also, you have to turn the pump up to match the new found air flow... it will be a whole new truck when done. i love mine...

SEABEECM1
11-07-2007, 09:48 PM
crazy ? can you just bolt a turbo on a diesel without doing any internal mods to the motor or the pump

12vBOWTIE
11-08-2007, 12:17 AM
crazy ? can you just bolt a turbo on a diesel without doing any internal mods to the motor or the pump

just turn up the pump, and your ok..

6.2smoke'r
11-08-2007, 03:07 AM
turbo is almost done !!!! how much do i turn up the fuel ?? my boost control is set at 12 psi max do i just go a little at a time? where is the screw located on the engine

Dual K20s
11-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Start w/ a quarter turn (clockwise to increase) then raise or lower it from there depending on how your EGTs are. The screw is either under the injection pump cover or you can go in through the triangular cover on the side like the ford guys like to go. You'll have to rotate the engine around until you can see the 5/32 allen screw.

Up the fuel (http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5961)

12psi sounds about right :Thumbup:

kstmg04
11-14-2007, 09:35 PM
how much of a power increase do you get from putting the turbo on? and doy you usualy keep the same heads or get some off a 6.5?

SneakyPete
11-26-2007, 05:50 AM
I'm adding the 6.5 turbo to my 6.2 Its looking good but i don't have a boost controller. I am installing a pyrometer and boost gauge and just like my super duty i would be keeping an eye on it but i was wondering, whats the highest boost levels a 6.2 can safely handle i just want to keep it safe.

6.2smoke'r
11-29-2007, 05:24 AM
i wouldnt want to go over 15 psi regulary most stock manual wastegate controllers are between 8-12 psi since the 6.2 isnt engineered as a turbo engine ( un- like the newer 6.6 ) it cant handle the constant high boost pressures internally

SneakyPete
11-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Ok the engine is in with the manifolds on and no turbo. My turbo wont fit because of my ac housing ("suitcase") it hits the turbo and there is no way to get a down pipe in i was thinking of trying a housing off of a S10 or if i can find a full size pickup with a housing that comes out straight instead of an angle. Any other ideas i know im not the first to have this problem?

50 Burb
12-04-2007, 03:23 AM
Sorry to but in. I'm new here and thought this would be a good place to ask my question. I have a 1982 GMC with a 6.2. I put the body of a 1950 GMC Suburban on it. My wife and I took a 10,000+ mile trip around the country towing our 6000 lb. trailer. Everything went well except for being under powered. I heard of putting a 6.5 turbo on the 6.2 motor. A ranger at Devil's Tower even showed me his conversion. I didn't know what to look at or ask at the time. I've been looking through the threads and need a little clarification. Do I need to replace the 6.2 fuel injectors with 6.5 injectors? I heard there may be clearance problems. I have a turbo and exhaust manifold from a 92. Thanks, Dennis

6.2smoke'r
12-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Sorry to but in. I'm new here and thought this would be a good place to ask my question. I have a 1982 GMC with a 6.2. I put the body of a 1950 GMC Suburban on it. My wife and I took a 10,000+ mile trip around the country towing our 6000 lb. trailer. Everything went well except for being under powered. I heard of putting a 6.5 turbo on the 6.2 motor. A ranger at Devil's Tower even showed me his conversion. I didn't know what to look at or ask at the time. I've been looking through the threads and need a little clarification. Do I need to replace the 6.2 fuel injectors with 6.5 injectors? I heard there may be clearance problems. I have a turbo and exhaust manifold from a 92. Thanks, Dennis

nope, you dont have to replace the injectors with the 6.5 ones but you do have to turn up the fuel flow a little. many guys also swap out the injectors for marine injectors. my turbo install is almost complete and yes the exhaust is a little trouble. ( i have a PTO pump in tthe way )

saberstud75
12-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey guys,

I am a newby but I am considering a 6.2 diesel conversion on my 1983 SWB 4x4. Does anyone know if the 6.5 turbo installed on a 6.2 will produce the same results as a Banks Sidewinder turbo installed on a 6.2? Also, what kind of MPG can I expect from swapping in a 6.2 w/turbo on my shortbed 4x4? My truck has 33in tires, 2 1/2 lift, 4.56 gears, and a 700r4 tranny. Thanks!

6.2smoke'r
12-16-2007, 12:53 AM
hey guys 5 days ago i finished with the turbo install! it is insane how much more power in the mid range you gain. I successfully blew a rear main seal ( previously had a very occasional drip ) now a torrent of oil...uggggg:damnit :damnit

this sucks.... all done and cant drive it ( far ) im running just the down pipe with a turn down and it sounds pretty cool. i love setting car alarms offLOL
any one else had this happen to them?

how bad are those seals to do in the ol' 6.2 im debating a 6.5 longblock and fixing the 6.2 and selling her..................any grabs only 99,984 origonal miles on it..all origonal

50 Burb
12-18-2007, 04:03 AM
Sorry to here about the rear seal. I have a question about the PCV or what ever GM calls it. On the 6.2 intake it spilts and goes into each side of the intake. The turbo intake does not (and should not due to the boost pressure), but how did you terminate after the valve? Dennis

DieselOnly95
12-18-2007, 11:18 PM
i was told by my boss that a 6.5 turbo and manifold wont work on a 6.2 because of different pistons and the motors are completely different units, B.S....?

DBogo
12-19-2007, 06:34 AM
i was told by my boss that a 6.5 turbo and manifold wont work on a 6.2 because of different pistons and the motors are completely different units, B.S....?

his *** is suckin wind, it will work

6.2smoke'r
12-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Sorry to here about the rear seal. I have a question about the PCV or what ever GM calls it. On the 6.2 intake it spilts and goes into each side of the intake. The turbo intake does not (and should not due to the boost pressure), but how did you terminate after the valve? Dennis
im wondering the same thing , right now i have one of the two hoses from the pcm blocked off na d the other on its own air mini air cleaner ( crankcase breather from gas 454 ) is this the right way??

the new seal is going in today, i already have it all apart and the rear main seal was non-exhistant in the engine!!!!! i m putting the felpro 2 piece neoprene kit in to replace im also going to run the turbo oil return line into the oil pan. which end of the pan is better, the forward thin part or the sump part of the pan?????