6.2 starter bolts [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: 6.2 starter bolts

kstmg04
11-16-2007, 05:48 PM
ive been having problems with the starter bolts breaking off in the block of my 6.2... this has happened twice before and weve had to change the block once because of this... any suggestions ?

navistar45
11-24-2007, 01:52 PM
geeze, this section is a ghost town. guess it means no one is having 6.2 issues. there are two reasons to have starter bolt issues. one is the bolts are loosing over time. the other is that the front bracket that bolts the starter to the block is missing. the bolts to both the starter it self and the bracket hould be removed and cleaned with gas,brake cleaner ,etc. reinstall and trq them pretty well. i dont have the specs infront of me, but 80lbs seems to be what i remember. the little bracket on the front of the starter is the main issue, many shops make the mistake of not reinstalling it when doing starter work. this is a nono, the starter is very heavy and needs support up front. if you dont have the bracket, see a dealer ..

fellro86
11-30-2007, 01:44 AM
It isn't so much the weight, but the torque. When the starter is doing it's job, it torques upward, and that bracket is there to keep it from nosing up like that. Without the bracket to stabilize, the rear of the starter moves down away from the flywheel, breaking bolts, starters, flywheel teeth, all that kind of fun stuff.

50 Burb
12-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the info. My started bolts broke off two weeks ago and luckily the second one broke in a hardware parking lot. I was able to back out the broke off parts of the bolts. (no easyout required, I should have bought a lotto ticket) I was able to buy and install tempary bolts untill I could get hardened bolts, but was able to get home. I put over 30,000 miles on the truck and never knew there was suppose to have a front bracket until I heard it here. I will get one ASAP! Thanks, Dennis

dieselolds
12-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Keep in mind that the 6.2 starter bolts are metric and are of a specific size.Starter bolts as those used in chevy 305,350 engines are not the same(smaller diameter) and should not be used in the 6.2 diesel.

kstmg04
01-08-2008, 05:51 PM
hey just wondering if you guys would normally use hardened steel bolts or use a softer material bolt.

fellro86
01-08-2008, 09:17 PM
I would go with hardened, but the factory bolts have a kind of knurl on them that helps keep them from loosening. You also have to watch the depth, if you bottom out the bolt, they are way harder to get out than if you break them off not bottomed. You could also think they are tight, but not be.

50 Burb
01-17-2008, 03:47 AM
I went to the dealer to get factory bolts and needed to double washer one of them because of bottoming out. Make sure the front bracket is tight. That was how mine bolts broke.

INLINE6
01-21-2008, 02:01 AM
I would go with hardened, but the factory bolts have a kind of knurl on them that helps keep them from loosening. You also have to watch the depth, if you bottom out the bolt, they are way harder to get out than if you break them off not bottomed. You could also think they are tight, but not be.
The knurl is to help "fill the hole" in the housing. Other wise the excess play will result in broken bolts or a starter housing.

1984GMC
03-04-2008, 06:07 AM
Anyone have a part # for that starter brace bracket? Does the 6.5 engine take the same piece? I think this is so common for it to be missing, that this is news to many of us! There are 4 GMC 6.2/6.5 diesels on this job site, I looked at every one of them- not a front starter brace in the bunch. My inquiry as to that part was met with, Huh?