What is a p-pump? [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: What is a p-pump?

iwannagofast
01-14-2008, 10:50 AM
What is a p-pump? I know that you use it to replace the ip, but is it worth the extra cost?

Advantages disadvantages?

Bouncer
01-14-2008, 03:30 PM
It is a mechanical injection pump used on the 94'-98' 12v motors. It is also a common pump to be found on Ag and construction equipment. They are very durable and the sky is virtually the limit with a P-pump. That is why almost everyone who runs BIG fuel goes to a P-pump.

Advantages is you can manually control your timing, you can change parts and phyiscally work on it, it is lubrciated by engine oil instead of fuel, they are very dependable, and readily available rebuilt for much cheaper than a VP44.

The only disadvantge IMO is you can not turn the power up and down by pushing a button or a program. Although there are ways around that with a valet switch.

jakebrakeIH
01-14-2008, 06:10 PM
:whs ...I couldnt agree more...the real big disadvantage is you cant change power settings nor timing etc as Bouncer said...

Mopar1973Man
01-14-2008, 09:36 PM
There is a few holes in Bouncers comments...

It true that big power can be had with a P-pump.

Advantages is you can manually control your timing

But you got to manually set your timing and its static. A VP44 pump is dynamic and changes to the loads and throttle...

it is lubrciated by engine oil instead of fuel

90% of the pumps internal part are lubed by the engine oil but the fuel stil plays a role in lubing the piston bores, DV's, and injectors...

That is why almost everyone who runs BIG fuel goes to a P-pump.
I got to admit its the ulitmate for a IP pump but to convert a VP44 system to P-pump is going to cost big money too...

Sorry Bouncer...LOL

Bouncer
01-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I will still take a P-pump any day of the week though. :Thumbup:

wistlnwoodchuck
01-14-2008, 11:16 PM
I think that you gotta ask yourself what you want your truck for... if it is the ultimate hot rod..... then the p-pump would probably be a good way to go.. if u wanna leave your truck in the slightly modded category then the vp44 is way sufficient enough of a pump to use as any platform to build off of. after all you can control fuel flow with a chip and that has gotta be nice. But I think if your shootin for the stars the p-pump is it.:smoke

Smokem
01-15-2008, 02:32 AM
P-pumps were used on other bigger engines too like Mack Dump trucks, etc. Probably on more than just Cummins and Mack engines I think they were put on IH engines as well. Not sure. If you could get it to work. It's be worth it. But it sounds like a challege with all the right parts and tools.

Bouncer
01-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Philly is right about various P-pumps were used on lots of engines.

Kits to change 24v's over to P-pump's are readily available. This conversion is becoming very popular.

sstockton
01-15-2008, 04:45 AM
The fact that they tend to last longer is the really big reason I can see to do it. Its true that the VP44 isn't as capable of producing giant numbers, but there are a few of them that are coming along quite nicely, and I think if you're willing to use drugs, the VP44 hasn't seen the peak of its potential yet, and will probably break the 1000hp mark soon; hopefully.
Sean

Mopar1973Man
01-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Well my 2 cycle oil/lubricity study seem to be extending the life of a VP44 pump...

As for the HP/TQ number I've heard a few getting close to some really high numbers...

But as for me the VP44 pump is great for a daily driver, and has good power, and it tuneable on the fly. So if you going for big HP/TQ number I got to admit P-pump is the only good way to go! But for a daily driver and ease of tuning VP44 is the best bet yet... :2cents

wistlnwoodchuck
01-15-2008, 09:49 PM
has any one out there got any links to videos of a p-pumped 24 valve? i really wanna see if it smokes as bad as the 12's that would probably be the coolest a 24 valve runnin' a p-pump...

cajuncummins
01-16-2008, 01:31 AM
they probably do, deutz ran p-pumps too, but I dont think they were as durable as the Cummins version

Smokem
01-16-2008, 01:43 AM
The fact that they tend to last longer is the really big reason I can see to do it. Its true that the VP44 isn't as capable of producing giant numbers, but there are a few of them that are coming along quite nicely, and I think if you're willing to use drugs, the VP44 hasn't seen the peak of its potential yet, and will probably break the 1000hp mark soon; hopefully.
Sean

If that one guy that did over 900hp would have used NOS he would have been over 1000 easy. It's a shame he didn't though. Pretty much refused.
:RTFM:

The P7100's and P8500's are very durable I/P's. The one's I've seen on the Mack's would do over 300,000 with no issues. Even after switching over ULSD. The engines themselves were a different story though. :pointlaugh

has any one out there got any links to videos of a p-pumped 24 valve? i really wanna see if it smokes as bad as the 12's that would probably be the coolest a 24 valve runnin' a p-pump...

Probably not; the 24valve combustion chamber is a much more efficient design then the 12valves.

Mopar1973Man
01-16-2008, 05:00 PM
If that one guy that did over 900hp would have used NOS he would have been over 1000 easy. It's a shame he didn't though. Pretty much refused.

That's the whole trick to do it without drugs...:Thumbup:

Smokem
01-17-2008, 01:32 AM
That's a matter of opinion.

cajuncummins
01-17-2008, 01:34 AM
an opinion I share, but I'm starting to understand the other side too