47RE transmission [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: 47RE transmission

gon2sea
01-15-2008, 04:08 AM
can a 2002 47RE be converted over to a 47RH..? or can it be set up to be shifted manually...
odd question but i just purchased a complete 2002 rolling chassi 4X4 3/4 ton and the tranny is a 47RE, want to adapt to an older body style...
any info would be greatly appreciated..

sstockton
01-15-2008, 05:32 AM
Older body style, like 89-93? The same body style (except for the interior and access doors on the ext. cab version) was used from 94-02. You can get a manual shift valvebody for the 47re though. Do you want it to be only manual shift? What are you going to be using the truck for if you don't mind me asking?
Sean

cajuncummins
01-15-2008, 05:43 AM
learning time, what is the difference?

gon2sea
01-15-2008, 12:20 PM
im putting a first gen. body on it, will be used for occasional driving and four wheeling....short bed, standard cab...
have a 92 long bed extra cab for daily driving so i wanted something shorter and more nimble for 4wheeling...
what is involved in installing a manual shift valve body and how would it work as far as shifting...simply a shift lever or would it be an electrical signal...
thanks.

ash_flat_diesel
01-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Can you use the valve body off a 1991 to make it a 47 RH?

sstockton
01-15-2008, 06:32 PM
The 47re, is still mostly mechanical. All of the shifting except for O/D is still done directly with linkages, and you can tune your shift points to allow you to shift at different speeds. For me Personally, I can throw mine in 1 and it won't shift out no matter what I do, and I can run it up to about 30mph before I run out of RPM. However, I can't downshift from 2 to 1 above 20mph not that I'd really need to. The one that gets me, Is I can't downshift from 3rd to 2nd above 32mph, I really want to be able to make that shift higher so I'm going to see what I can do to adjust my valvebody.

If you get the manual shift valvebody, the problem is, you can't have it work as an auto on the street, manually is the only way to make it work. I would give Dave Goerend a call, and he can get you set up for what you need, either with a valvebody tuned to your specifics or I'm sure he can do a manual shift too if thats what you want. DTT could do the same for you too. In Fact, you may look at upgrading to a 48re valvebody out of one of the newer trucks, because the valving in them allows for much higher line pressure and better holding power.
Sean

Smokem
01-16-2008, 12:22 AM
I agree with Sean, that's about your only route anyways.

ash_flat_diesel
01-16-2008, 03:05 AM
So....theroetically, I could put this trans in, stock, & it will shift, just as crappy as it did, & I could wire in a switch for OD & lockup? I want to be able to make it lockup in 2nd anyway.
I don't know if I will be able to use the TS performance controller?

Dazedandconfused
01-19-2008, 03:54 PM
The 47re will not shift without the ECM telling it to is what every shop I have talked to has told me. You can run a manual Vavlebody in it and be just fine and would work better for wheeling since you can hold any gear and downshift when you want it to not when it thinks it should. Wire OD to a grounded switch along with Lockup and you have it completely under your control.

ash_flat_diesel
01-31-2008, 03:31 AM
Dazed, that is what I will do. Goerends manual valve body & 2 switches. Its a rarely street driven 4wd.