Who checks their coolant additive??? [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: Who checks their coolant additive???

imported_Stroker01
02-26-2008, 02:06 AM
I was just wondering if any of ya'll check your coolant additive? I check mine twice a year to make sure that it is a the correct level so I don't start getting cavitation in the engine block.

tm0231009
02-26-2008, 02:07 AM
Yeah I check mine about the same

imported_Stroker01
02-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Yeah I check mine about the same

Thats great! All it takes to test it is to buy the fleetguard or baldwin test strips to test then add the additive from the dealer, if needed.

dzljon
02-26-2008, 02:10 AM
i check mine periodcly I have a loaded coolant filter that releases additives through its life, I replace the filter once a year

tm0231009
02-26-2008, 02:16 AM
Yeah - take care of the truck the truck takes care of you.

Ol Red
02-26-2008, 02:21 AM
Can someone explain this additive in more detail for me. I have not been told anything about it before. My 03 F-450 is the first desiel I have owned. Trying to take proper care of it. I'm learning alot on this sight. - Thanks, Ol Red

BlownGreenGP
02-26-2008, 02:23 AM
I check mine every few months

Fast_Ashley
02-26-2008, 02:36 AM
I dump coolant too often to warrant checking.

It's always gettin' fresh additive, and a filter to try and keep it clean...

pontiacross
02-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Can someone explain this additive in more detail for me. I have not been told anything about it before. My 03 F-450 is the first desiel I have owned. Trying to take proper care of it. I'm learning alot on this sight. - Thanks, Ol Red
diesel engines have a nasty habit of wearing small holes into the cylinder bores starting from the coolant side of the liner and working its way in towards the piston, this is called by "cavitation" some engines are worse than others. I have been told a couple of different things on what actually causes the cavitation. One theory was that it is caused by an electric spark that is created by the piston moving up and down. the other theory I have heard is that it is caused by air bubbles that form in the coolant that are created through vibrations from the movement of the piston. weather either one of those theories is right I'm not sure, but the main point is that the coolant additive helps stop this cavitation.

I check mine at every service.

pontiacross
02-26-2008, 02:38 AM
I dump coolant too often to warrant checking.

It's always gettin' fresh additive, and a filter to try and keep it clean...
Becarefull not to put too much aditive in. if you get to much in there the additive can settle out in a powder form and stop up hoses and passages in your engine.

Fast_Ashley
02-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Becarefull not to put too much aditive in. if you get to much in there the additive can settle out in a powder form and stop up hoses and passages in your engine.

I don't put too much in, It get's new coolant with additive. Usually due to something breaking....

pontiacross
02-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Oh I see:damnit

CSIPSD
02-26-2008, 02:54 AM
I just change my filter every now and then. When the coolant gauge quits working I know its time to change it...

mrit
02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Is there a Napa filter with the additive? I believe I am only running 4070 right now. Would there be any reaction with the gold coolant?

KSEnt
02-26-2008, 07:38 PM
You can do several different things to prevent cavitation. Install a coolant filter or put in permenent type anti-freeze like texaco's red. In all of the Diesel shops I have worked in, the coolant got checked at every service, but once you get in the habit of doing it you will find out how often you will have to adjust it, by adding liquid or changing the filter.
The cavitation problem is something that is more of a problem with wet sleeve engines because the air bubbles that cause cavitation stick to a machined surface more so than a cast surface witch all 7.3, 6.0, 5.9 etc. etc. engines have. But it can still eat through it.
Cavitation itself is caused by air bubbles imploding into the liner, or cylinder wall, due to harmonics created by the cylinder firing during the combustion process. As the cylinder fires it rings the liner, or cylinder like a bell and as that happens the air bubbles implod into the liner and over time it will go all the way through it. I've seen cavitation go through a big bore cummins engine in less than 1 year and with only 90,000 miles on it.
Caterpillar has some very informative information on the subject just call up any Caterpillar dealer and ask the parts or service dept. for any information on cavitation.
Good luck!

Straight Flush
02-26-2008, 09:17 PM
I just flushed my coolant..because I replaced the waterpump, and added Zerex original green coolant. I went to NAPA and bought two pints of NAPA Kool, but decided not to add that and went to the Ford Dealership and got the Motocraft SCA stuff...I thought that would be safer. Any comments?

-Jeff

KSEnt
02-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Your best bet is get the test kit and check your coolant. Don't just assume it needs it. Too much is just as bad as too little. If your interested in learning more about cavitation google caterpillar cavitation, there is several service letters about the subject.

bluovaltruk01
02-26-2008, 10:00 PM
I flushed my system out and now I run CAT extended coolant. Its supposed to be good for 300,000 miles.

KSEnt
02-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Just remember that mileage is for trucks it should say something on the jug about time also. I think it's like 3-5 years and you may have to add an additive package to it. I have the Texaco extended in mine and I think it's 5 years and then you should add the additive package. You might check into it. In fact I think the Cat stuff is made by Texaco, not sure. But it's defiently good stuff.

camojeeper
02-26-2008, 11:13 PM
I just flushed my coolant..because I replaced the waterpump, and added Zerex original green coolant. I went to NAPA and bought two pints of NAPA Kool, but decided not to add that and went to the Ford Dealership and got the Motocraft SCA stuff...I thought that would be safer. Any comments?

-Jeff
i have run the napa kool for 10 years its as good as any other

Fast_Ashley
02-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Is there a Napa filter with the additive? I believe I am only running 4070 right now. Would there be any reaction with the gold coolant?

I think it's 4071.

But I could be wrong....

4btyota
02-26-2008, 11:56 PM

cavitation is coused by little air bubble like you saying but they implode on them selves and when they go they take little pieces of the sleeve with them there most comminly found on the thrust side of the sleep as opposed to the pin.

Straight Flush
02-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Now that I read your post, I wish I had used the NAPA Kool...but I didn't. I went to the Ford Dealership and got the Motorcraft Diesel Cooling System Additive. I added two pints for the new coolant I just put in. But the 1999.5 owners manual says add 4 pints of FW-15 after a flush. The problem is, the Motorcraft stuff I bought doesn't say FW-15 on it anywhere, nor does it give any ratio per gallon on the bottle, nor their website. Any ideas? Please? How many pints of Motorcraft Diesel Cooling System additive goes with 6 fresh gallons of Anti-freeze?

camojeeper
02-27-2008, 12:09 AM
cavitation is coused by little air bubble like you saying but they implode on them selves and when they go they take little pieces of the sleeve with them there most comminly found on the thrust side of the sleep as opposed to the pin.
WTF man pre read ur posts

camojeeper
02-27-2008, 12:10 AM
strgt flush i think it 1pt for every 4 gals of coolant IIR correctly

SC_Dave
02-27-2008, 01:50 AM
OK fellas call me what you want but here's the truth.........

I know nothing about checking the coolant except checking the level.

I've never heard, read or been told I needed to check anything with the coolant. I don't know anything filters or additives. So, after reading what is in this thread I now know just enough to be concerned.

I am going to reread the manual concerning the coolant but please someone that knows exactly what I need to do at this point, school me. As you can see in my signature I have an 02 7.3

Thanks, David

camojeeper
02-27-2008, 02:08 AM
OK fellas call me what you want but here's the truth.........

I know nothing about checking the coolant except checking the level.

I've never heard, read or been told I needed to check anything with the coolant. I don't know anything filters or additives. So, after reading what is in this thread I now know just enough to be concerned.

I am going to reread the manual concerning the coolant but please someone that knows exactly what I need to do at this point, school me. As you can see in my signature I have an 02 7.3

Thanks, David
david go to napa auto parts and get 2 pts of napa kool and pour it in( make sure to suck out enof to allow room) and your done. with my truck i change the rad coolant yearly so i dont bother testing the coolant just change your coolant and add two pt bottles of napa kool and your good. i have never had any trouble using this method but this is only my opinion.