: The vet (!) says use a cattle prod to stop a dog fight (pets)?

TooMuchBoost
11-16-2005, 10:59 PM
For the 3rd time in 11 months (this is what I woke up to Saturday) the g/f's over-bred Petsmart reject Weimaraner has become overly possessive of her while she has been out in their pen and started a serious blood spewing fight with my Boxer that is next to impossible to break up especially if she is the only one out there.

To compound the problem her Dalmatian (which grew up with her mutt) jumps in and out of the fight and fights on behalf of her Weimaraner. Don't tell her but I'm proud to say my boxer tears them apart each time and usually gets away with a single scratch or superficial wound. :Thumbup:

It takes several minutes to break the fighting up and the process begins with either locking the Dalmatian in the dog house or locking her outside of the pen then beating the crap out of the two dogs while they fight and her weapon of choice is the pooper scooper rake. It has happened only once while I was out there with her and I kicked and punched them until I could separate them and get a hold of one while she got the other.

The Weimaraner had a bad morning Saturday and was covered in blood which just ruined the g/f's day since these are our kids and she doesn't want them to fight. If it happens much more she isn't going to be able to take it and the Weimaraner is going to have to find a new home which she obviously doesn't want.

Since we've been brainstorming on what would to separate them 'the next time' and she doesn't like my idea of a baseball bat. The only non-injuring ideas I thought might work would be a big air horn in their faces and or a starter pistol. The next was low % Mace or OC as that's what the utility guys carry. That actually interested her so she asked our vet (her boss) and he said a cattle prod!

I wonder could a 65# or less dog take a zap from a cattle prod and live? I've seen them used on actual cattle and a stupid human once (don't ask, I was in a bar once where I shouldn't have been at 5am) and it got their attention.

What other options are there to break them up fast? The theory of going to the big guns is they might just learn from getting zapped with 8000 volts or sprayed with OC and not do it again. This only happens once in a blue moon, outside and only when she is around. These are lovable mutts normally and of course they never act aggressive toward us or they wouldn't exist anymore.

CSIPSD
11-16-2005, 11:03 PM
The air horn will work almost every time. I used to ride bikes alot and carried a water bottle filled with ammonia and water 50/50, if I got chased I'd give them a shot in the face..

BigBlue
11-16-2005, 11:41 PM
As long as you use the one that is battery operated by 9.6 volt battery no it won't hurt them at all. They'll yelp alot for a little bit but they'll get the point after 2 or three times getting zapped.

Rich
11-16-2005, 11:50 PM
Two remote colars....on full power setting. When they start fighting ya just zap the fire out of them. The key is "not" to release the button for about 20-30 seconds. Yes, you will feel like garbage but they will remember. However, it may take as many as 10 times to get final results. If you go past the 10 times mark...do it untill they pee. If that doesn't work.... you'll need to become the Alfa. Break them up and make sure to hold them on their back by the throat until they subside. .......crazy huh?

fordt
11-17-2005, 01:19 AM
I had a couple of females, one a Dalmation and one a Blue Heeler, they use to fight alot. The best thing I found to break them up was let them go.....I let them fight until they both laid down from exhaustion, that was the last time they fought, I guess that fight decided who was the bigger of the 2, which happened to be the Heeler. I watched because I did not want either to get seriously hurt, other than alot of blood and some cuts, they were fine :Thumbup:

Rich
11-17-2005, 01:47 AM
.......I agree. Beta is better but we're talk'n bou't "her" dog. :shrug:

Rcannon
11-17-2005, 01:54 AM
squirt em down with the hose.

350FORD
11-17-2005, 02:23 AM
I had a couple of females, one a Dalmation and one a Blue Heeler, they use to fight alot. The best thing I found to break them up was let them go.....I let them fight until they both laid down from exhaustion, that was the last time they fought, I guess that fight decided who was the bigger of the 2, which happened to be the Heeler. I watched because I did not want either to get seriously hurt, other than alot of blood and some cuts, they were fine :Thumbup:

fordt has a point there. They are dogs, and they will figure out a pecking order. I know I have 4, and it has changed throughout the years. My weimeriner started putting on the years and his dominance just kept falling to #4. 35 lb mutt pushes him around now. :shrug:

fordt
11-17-2005, 02:36 AM
I grew up raising horses, they are same way, if your gonna have a bunch of mares in the same feild, gotta let em have it out until they decide whos the boss.

TooMuchBoost
11-17-2005, 03:26 AM

I agree 100% but as Rich said they are 'her' dogs in theory. Granted I don't want them fighting but she literally gets traumatized from their fighting. She can't stand to be there and not be able to stop them and I can understand that because that's my first instinct as well. On the flip side you can't predict when they will fight and if it's after normal business hours the loser is going to the emergency vet for big $$$$ where her boss gives them free pet care.

I appreciate all the ideas so keep them coming and at the moment she wants to try both an air horn and a cattle prod.

Heck, I never would have thought but at this point I'm more leery of a cattle prod than she is. :shrug: This is the same chick wanted to know I went deer hunting for the day but didn't want to know if I filled a tag.

Timbeaux38
11-17-2005, 03:36 AM
They are probably fighting over the hydrant........ It is your fault Andy.... LOL

TooMuchBoost
11-17-2005, 03:51 AM
They are probably fighting over the hydrant........ It is your fault Andy.... LOL

It has actually happend twice pre-fire plug. LOL

If you were to actually touch that thing now I would have you medivac'd to the CDC HQ in ATL! They use it for sure. :barf:

John Deere
11-17-2005, 05:38 AM
A cattle prod will not kill them (unless there is a brand out there that I don't know about), I have been zapped by one many times by careless handlers, and it truly does nothing more than get your attention. There is one in fact that will hold a quick charge after you release the button, and I was once told that this was for training dogs. But a cattle prod will run in the neighborhood of $80.

Unless you have other uses for the prod, I think a shock collar is a better tool.

BigBlue
11-17-2005, 06:15 AM
Now that I think about it th shock collar would be best for ya'll like everyone else has said.

fordt
11-17-2005, 08:56 PM
http://www.hotshotproducts.com/prods.htm

The "Green One" is the one that type we used on the ranch in Fl. Never had anything die from it, we would get drunk a shock each other all the time, and have hit the dogs a few times with it for being stupid. When you let off the trigger their is a trickle charge that steps down in voltage for a few seconds.