7.3 IDI to cummins [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: 7.3 IDI to cummins

IDImonsterstack
03-23-2008, 07:29 PM
i was gonan swap out my 7.3 to 5.9 cummins and put a dodge 5 speed behind it was wondering what will i need to do this and i know most of it is money....when i get the motor im gonna pull it apart do a rebuild on it new pistons some good bearings stud the hed a rev kit and take the turbo off the 7.3 and combind it wiht the 5.9 turbo and have one beast.

9 Lives
03-23-2008, 07:53 PM
First the turbo off the 7.3 will be useless on your 5.9. If you are going for power under 500hp stick with the stock cummins turbo (hx-35)

You will need engine mounts from autoworld of montana, alternator mounts,a/c mounts, tach mounts, new transmission cross member, shorter driveshaft, powersteering pump connectors to connect the older ford to the newer dodge steering pump & brake system. intercooler mounts need to be custom fabed up to bolt infront of the stock radiator core support which will need to be modified as well.

Don't expect to much fly by the seat of your pants difference on a stock cummins motor. Chances are if you are using a older VE pump style engine it will be a slug without injectors,pump mods etc.. etc.. The 2nd gen 12V with the P-pump are considerably faster but need supporting mods to your transmission & turbo charger to handle the extra fuel or power.

rwaltonky
03-24-2008, 01:52 AM
As far as mounting it go to www.fordcummins.com They have kits to do the conversion.

IDImonsterstack
03-24-2008, 09:37 AM
yeah know about all the powers steering and all that my buddy is giving me a 96 dodge 2500 has an auto behind it not gonna use it i picked up a ZF5 for free and gonna get the advanced adaptor kit to mate it together the intercooler im not worried about casue my truck doesnt have one have to make mounts anyways but all the acc. is on the truck so its a matter of making hoses and crap for it..the motor mounts im gonna take the ones off the dodge and fab them up to my crossmember the first gen 5.9 came with 160HP and the 7.3 with 195HP but the tourqe of the 5.9 cummins is more than the 7.3 yeah the 7.3 is good bud hard to find performance parts to beef em up and make em fast and the 12v man easy im not trying to make a 10 second truck im making this thing a tourqe tire burning tow monster i mean my truck tows good and can lay a strip for 30yds but when i put my big *** trailer on it its a dog and cant get out of its own way. and the open rear i jsut put in my truck yeah CRAP its dont cracked a spidergear...im a chevy guy and regret selling my mudd drag truck lol so today i got a 14bolt rear 4.10s detroit locker $500!! skrew the 10.25 there garbage plus ive never broke a 14bolt and never will for what i do

97UTPSD
03-24-2008, 10:09 AM
selling turbo???

Bluevanacd2005
03-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Someone else doing a cross-brand swap huh? Sounds a little easier than the 6.9L to the chevy van swap, but only a little. LOL

IDImonsterstack
03-25-2008, 02:16 AM
the turbo on my truck not is a garrett A/R .70 its a big guy my local shop said i can get 37 PSI out of the factory 5.9 turbo maxxing it out and he said i can get about 20 out of the A/R .70 so i figured i will custom fab an intake and exhuast and make a mean some B***H that will tear anything up...on the part i put the 14 bolt rear in my truck today and yeah much better went the local walmart and and was whippin my truck around like no other i love this rear end

DieselJuice
03-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Thats weird, when grossing 30k the idi handles the weight better in my opinion then my cummins, i love the cummins for showing off and all, but to me the ford is just a beast when pulling heavy loads.

Dieselwrencher
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
First I like the IDI's but I wouldn't have one if I had the choice between a cummins an old IDI, turbo or not. How long do they last if you are really using it? I have worked on my fair share of hot rod IDI's with and with out turbos and you better not care about money if you want one to be a hot rod/ towing rig. I am not bashing IDI's by any means because I still have one and a lot of parts for it, just don't like some aspects of them.

Second, your good ol 14 bolt will break sooner or later like some of these other rear ends with the torque of the diesel. GM never had a power house of a diesel to break a 14 bolt. The 14 bolt is a killer rear end but they break too.

Third, try www.destroked.com for you trans adapter. Theirs are way nicer and you won't have to cut a chunk out of your transmission bell housing to get the starter to fit on it correctly. Desatroked's are a little more expensive but it is worth it unless you like taking a hunk off of the trans.

Four, you really are better off selling that turbo from you IDI as you will restrict the turbo on the cummins more than anything. You either have a WH1C or a HX35. Either one of those turbos will out perform the little garrett turbo any day of the week. Like you already said the HX35 is capable of some air flow. Spend a little money and make it a hybrid if it is a HX35 and you probabally won't need a new turbo for a while if you just want a tow unit.

IDImonsterstack
03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
im over 300,000 miles i wheel the thing everyweek im hard on this gal tow all the time it s holds the load no problem just the auto cant hold you can feel the TQ slippin bad. and the 14 bolt they may not have had tourqy diesels to spin em but i must say when i worked at 4 wheel parts ive built i dunno maybe 120 of em and yeah going under anything from 4cyl crawlers to 1200HP 1500ft/lbs drag trucks no problems they are so strong due the the massive rotating wieght 1.50 inch axles an the third pinion bearing to support the pinion...another reason my buddy has the same truck as me with the 12v cummins stock i mind you gets 18MPG my good old 7.3 TURBO gettin a sad 10MPG and the price at the pumps ill take the cummins but the 7.3 is gonna go in my buggy crawler for the hell of it

9 Lives
03-25-2008, 07:57 PM
sounds like you got it all figured out there...

Dieselwrencher
03-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Good deal. Good luck on the conversion, post pics up as you go along.

sbenham
03-27-2008, 08:12 AM
destroked is a very good place to go! me and my buddie converted a 96PSD to a 89 12v it was the the first gen but hey it had a lot less turbo lag and it had better take off then poker joker!! but my advice is to get a 98 12v they have the best pump of all the 12v and you can make easy 40psi with the hx35 rather than the garrett and if you know where to get cummins parts you can use the HX40 so you will have a true 4in down pipe and you can get a wicked wheel for the HX40 and you wont have to worry bout turbo lag and it will SCREAM kinda like the 03 6.0 PSD