Alcohol to airbrakes [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: Alcohol to airbrakes

timark80
03-30-2010, 04:32 AM
Where do you pour the rubbing alcohol into the airbrake system?

bushpilot
03-30-2010, 04:37 AM
try this...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=alcohol+air+brakes

sexytrkr
03-30-2010, 03:19 PM
supposidly your suppost to take the airline off the air compressor (after draining your air first) and pour some in there, or into your glad hands...but ive never had to use anything like that. all of my airdryers allways worked fine.

fordt
03-30-2010, 03:30 PM

I have always heard pour into the glad hands.

SmokinCAT
03-30-2010, 03:38 PM

It would be glad hands to get it in the trailer, and the line on the compressor for the truck system,

Jfaulkner
03-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Red glad hand only! Do not pour it in the blue side. That's a dead end into the valve and has nowhere to escape. However unless the system is frozen (truck or trailer) it isn't going to do anything.

fordt
03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
I live in Florida, we don't need to think too much about it anyways. LOL

SmokinCAT
03-30-2010, 04:02 PM

I was going to add that winter is almost over in most of the states.

379Longhood
03-30-2010, 05:15 PM
If you need to put Air brake antifreeze in your truck system do it after the air drier , it will turn the desicant pack to mush if you put it in before. only use straight alcohol in emergengies because it dries the seals out. Air brake antifreeze has lubricants added to prevent this. :bdh

black_dog106
03-30-2010, 11:40 PM

My folks winter in Fl. They had colder weather a few days this winter than we had......:haha

Johnp3
03-31-2010, 03:43 AM
We had quite a few trucks with alcohol injector set-ups they went between the air compressor and the dryer. It puts in a small amount of alcohol or what ever fluid into the system every time the air compressor cycles. Because it is put in the hot air stream it goes threw the dryer, as a vapor. Just a thought!

timark80
04-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
I assumed the alcohol was used to clean the system for year round maintenance.Not just for winter.

Johnp3
04-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Usually when I was involved it was to clean up a system that was contaminated. That involved putting the unit in the shop usually overnight, and drying the system with shop air and the removal of service air lines, to get frozen blockages out on a relay. I would take the valve apart, to clean out the moisture. Once a valve has water in the service side, you have to either replace it or clean it. I have no memory of ever puting in air system fluid in the summer unless there was a problem, or it was between Oct 1 and April. It does work as a lubricant in a lot of valves, relays are usually a dead end, in the system. I was usually only involved, if there was a problem, and the ripping and tearing method did not repair the problem. Just a thought!

379Longhood
04-08-2010, 08:11 PM
I keep my evaporator full year round and also service my dryer at recommended intervals , but I would like to repeat Straight alchohol does NOT have the nessicary lubricants , Air brake antifreeze does, the two terms are not interchangable. its like calling acytelene and oxygen, "gas and air", it creates a bunch of confusion. A good dryer and purging you air lines before hooking to a trailer also help a bunch. setting the tractor brakes and putting 50 # pressure with the spike before uncoupling the service line helps to back flush the trailer line. :thumbsup

John_G
04-08-2010, 11:14 PM

No where.

Alcohol in an air system is about the same as a band-aid over a 30-06 gunshot wound.

Alcohol will DESTROY the ABS valves and it is no good for the diaphrams in the valves at all or for the valve seals (o-rings) as it will wash any factory lube off of them.

If you have moisture problems, drain the tanks and keep doing it every day. DOT requires you do it any way and it's the right thing to do... EVERY DAY.

If you have excessive moisture and an air drier, get it serviced because it's not doing it's job any longer. If you don't have a drier, get one.

Johnp3
04-09-2010, 01:12 AM
379 Longhorn, that is a great idea on putting, on the brake valve then removing the line, that would back flush, most of the moisture. I have never added alcohol, or methyl-alcohol. I always use the break line antifreeze and lubricant. It costs more, but it is worth it. Just a thought!

timark80
04-09-2010, 03:17 AM
No where.

Alcohol in an air system is about the same as a band-aid over a 30-06 gunshot wound.

Alcohol will DESTROY the ABS valves and it is no good for the diaphrams in the valves at all or for the valve seals (o-rings) as it will wash any factory lube off of them.

If you have moisture problems, drain the tanks and keep doing it every day. DOT requires you do it any way and it's the right thing to do... EVERY DAY.

If you have excessive moisture and an air drier, get it serviced because it's not doing it's job any longer. If you don't have a drier, get one.

Well as far as I know the truck has never had alcohol added to the air system.I bought it from ryder with 121,000 miles, 1999 model.
I recently bought a service control valve from freightliner, it has an extra threaded hole which I'm wondering if it can be plugged and still work. Will post a pic soon.

379Longhood
04-09-2010, 04:02 PM
No where.

:whs
Absolutley Agree nothing beats a good well maintained drier . but when you hook to other peoples stuff at 25 below it's hard to believe how many times the brake won't come off cause maintainance is too long a word.
A good drier and propper tank maintainance is the answer especially if you stay coupled to the same trailer .
timark80 if you Google you valve number you should find a diagram with the ports labeled, it is quite common for a replacement valce to have extra ports for other applications

timark80
04-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Oh yea, I should have mentioned that I'm only pulling an electric brake 10 ton trailer with my FL 70.
Now,I need an opinion on the new brake valve with a threaded hole on the lower right side.
Notice the original one does not have a hole in the same spot.
My question is, can I just "cap" the hole on the new valve assembly?
Freightliner will say whatever it takes to sell the part.I need a second opinion.
Thanks men for the help.

timark80
04-11-2010, 03:01 AM
One more thing,I always drain my air tanks on the truck Daily.

379Longhood
04-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Oh yea, I should have mentioned that I'm only pulling an electric brake 10 ton trailer with my FL 70.
Now,I need an opinion on the new brake valve with a threaded hole on the lower right side.
Notice the original one does not have a hole in the same spot.
My question is, can I just "cap" the hole on the new valve assembly?
Freightliner will say whatever it takes to sell the part.I need a second opinion.
Thanks men for the help.

You should be fine plugging that port, the OE one on your truck was probably ordered buy the thousands so it saved the manufacturer a bit not to drill and tap them, the replacement prolly fits more applications, so when the valve is supplied as a replacement part it is cheaper to drill and tap all the ports than have 2 different part numbers . use a brass plug with the same sealer you use on the rest of the ports. I hope you didn't take offence to anyones answers about adding airbrake antifreeze, as John_G said a good drier and daily maintainance is the best answer, :)

timark80
04-11-2010, 04:21 AM
Hey 379,
That sounds like a very logical answer.
Absolutely no offense taken at all about the antifreeze.I may need to look at getting an air dryer to prevent future problems.
Gasket thread sealer? Is it a specific type or just silicone?

Johnp3
04-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Hey 379,
That sounds like a very logical answer.
Absolutely no offense taken at all about the antifreeze.I may need to look at getting an air dryer to prevent future problems.
Gasket thread sealer? Is it a specific type or just silicone?

If you are close I have a factory rebuilt AD9,:happymugs Just a thought!

John_G
04-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Go ahead and cap the extra port, it is simply another supply port used in an alternate configuration. Use teflon tape or pipe thread sealant on the threads but be careful not to over-torque the plug or you could split the casting.