Cummins 530 ISX EGR [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: Cummins 530 ISX EGR

trucker378
04-05-2010, 05:27 AM
I have a 2006 Cummins ISX rated at 530hp and 1850ft.lbs. torque. I am fairly pleased with everything this motor does. It has 197,000 miles on it now and cummins has paid for 2 egr valves and 1 turbo under warranty. Well now it is no longer covered under warranty and I am getting nervous about having to rebuild it. A friend of mine has 30 trucks, about 10 of them have Cummins ISX motors. He has had to rebuild all but 2 or 3 of them. He says about $25,000a rebuild. He told me to get ready because mine won't make it to 250,000 miles. He hates cummins now. He's going back to detroit. He blames his cummins failures to EGR valves. Is there a way to turn this engine into a non EGR motor? I was going to call Diesel Injection and ask them but there is alot of knowledge here. I know there would have to be a ecm change but is'nt this motor the same as a signature 600. Any ideas, I'm not getting much sleep these days. Thanks any info will be helpful. If it comes down to it I might put a C15 or 3406E model or a n14 in its place. Or would I be going backwards. Thanks again

CumminsISXpower
04-05-2010, 01:45 PM
I am not sure what your nervous about? This story sounds fishy too me!!! First of all your engine or his engines have a base warranty of 2yr 250,000 which obviously your out of but all major components carry 5yr 500,000 so ???????????? Second I sure would like to know what the failure on the others was??? Also how was screwing him for 25,000 dollars. I and we as a dealer have swithed more people,small fleets,big fleet to Cummins power for that reason! I guess I'm lost here,If you want a notebook of references with 800,000 to 1.1 mil satisfied customer.................let me know,and get me some more info?:wtf By the way Yes you can turn your engine into a CM570 NON-EGR if you have about 10-12k your willing to spend! I have done 2 of them but the guy owned a truck scrap yard so it was fairly easy and cheap for him

josh G
04-05-2010, 03:57 PM
i am still interested in converting a cm870 to a cm570 would you mind telling me what all has to be replaced? Also do you have a serial number for a cm 570 600hp i have acess to quick serv but without a ser no its no help. Any help would be apperciated.
Thanks
Josh

CumminsISXpower
04-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Use 14000024 thats a Sig 600 CPL2442,that will get you what ya need except you will need some custom parts such as block offs for the coolant feed and return for EGR cooler,and also coolant feed for turbo,EGR valve,or you can swap the whole oil cooler housing to the old style but we blocks them off much cheaper!!! Mainly need ECM,harness,some diff sensor or you can swap the plugs on some,manifold,turbo,lines,and possibly an IFSM. GOOD LUCK be patient!!!:peelout

John_G
04-06-2010, 02:55 AM
The ISX models with EGR do suffer from plugged oil filters, cam bearing failure and a few other maladies that often require "early" overhauls, that is fact.

From what I have seen, almost ALL of these problems can be dramatically reduced, if not eliminated as concerns by: Reducing idle time and changine your oil as required. EVERY ISX failure that I ahve seen is in an engine with high idle time and/or one that suffered extended oil drain intervals.

CumminsISXpower
04-06-2010, 03:12 AM
Your correct,but that all leads back to a little thing we call maintenance which we all now many struggle with,this extended drain interval s*it is stupid! Also use the filter that belongs on it FLEETGUARD! Nowhere does it say run a scrap metal Baldwin!!!!!:wtf

legend10
04-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Doesnt cummins claim 30,000 mile drain intervals? I have seen quite a few plugged oil filters w/ the egr ISX's also

Art387
04-06-2010, 06:05 AM
The ISX models with EGR do suffer from plugged oil filters, cam bearing failure and a few other maladies that often require "early" overhauls, that is fact.

From what I have seen, almost ALL of these problems can be dramatically reduced, if not eliminated as concerns by: Reducing idle time and changine your oil as required. EVERY ISX failure that I ahve seen is in an engine with high idle time and/or one that suffered extended oil drain intervals.

I have seen inside of my engine at 550k and it was cleanest engine ever seen in that shop. Mechanics said it looks like 100k engine they happened to work on. I'm not sure why, but here is what could be the reasons:

I drop the dam oil every 15k because oil is cheap.

I use only Fleetguard filters because thats what Cummins want and Speedco has (for cheap, all in).

I don't idle it at all, because thats when the most soot is being introduced to the engine. Every engine can't burn properly without load but EGRed ones are WAY worse. They get literally clogged with that $it (infamous EGR hoses or pipes). Mine is being run hard and... so is clean

One more thing i suspect going on is that when you idle like stupid and those pipes get clogged, EGR-cooler gets more heat probably and start leaking coolant. Just a thought, but if there is any sense to it - high ide = early overhaul

Also, I agree with CumminsISXPower, there is something fishy about the opening post

josh G
04-06-2010, 02:34 PM
thank you isx power that helps out ALOT

trucker378
04-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Ok I talked to my friend today. He has only rebuilt 5 ISX motors in the last 2 years. 1 of them was a older non egr 600(had valve train problem). 2 egr 530 non pdf filter(broken rings, bad compression, liners smooth, 1 of the motors had 6 egr valves in less than 200,000 miles.) 1 egr 525 pdf motor that was junk (2turbos, countless problems to numerous to remember, had to be inframed at 80,000 miles(out of warranty because of time).Cummins helped out with non of these motors except 1 turbo. These are all logging trucks in North Idaho. Dusty, hot in summer, cold in winter. External Air cleaners changed every year or about 50,000 miles. Oil changed every 10,000 miles, with BALDWIN filters. No problems with Detroits in the same fleet. He told me that the rebuilds cost about 15-20 thousand dollars each. I know of another 2 isx motors from 2 other people with the same problems and the same expense. 1 had 40,000 miles and cummins (or Kenworth in Lewiston, Id.) would not warranty nothing, said the air cleaners were plugged with dust, (hard to swallow when it was working side by side with another truck identical to it but a year older and a cat engine.) $24,000 rebuild out of pocket on a 1year old truck. Maybe my story sounds FISHY, Maybe I won't have anymore problems. I do use fleetgaurd filters at 10,000 mile oil changes.

strawboss
04-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Your correct,but that all leads back to a little thing we call maintenance which we all now many struggle with,this extended drain interval s*it is stupid! Also use the filter that belongs on it FLEETGUARD! Nowhere does it say run a scrap metal Baldwin!!!!!:wtf

Off topic but.... Have ya'll had any trouble out of Baldwin filters? Our local shop recommends them, just wondering if ya'll had some failures?

CumminsISXpower
04-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Off topic but.... Have ya'll had any trouble out of Baldwin filters? Our local shop recommends them, just wondering if ya'll had some failures?

Baldwin is a bad name around here!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure why anyone would run them to be honest with you,there filtration sucks,there quality control REALLY sucks!!! This will give you an example last week I opened a case(6) of BD103's which are N14 or M11 oil filters,and none not 1 of the 6 had thread cut in the head of them to screw onto the base!!!!!!!!!! I called there tech line and talked to someone who I think barely knew his own full name and told him my issue.. His response "well,that happens quite abit actually" I said man thats nice,how can I relay on the filtration quality inside when the filter is not even made correctly!! Yes there are some decent filter companies,such as Donaldson(which is Cat),Luber-Finer,or my 2nd choice Wix>

CumminsISXpower
04-08-2010, 03:10 AM
OK,back to our original engine talk here! We all know that EGR valves are common on these engines,especially when the idle times are high,which is twice the heat and carbon buid-up. Although their is a calibration that will help with that,maybe the engines already have them maybe not but it needs a 402 software version flash minimum,if not already done yours will have a 302,so far it has been a warrantable fix for us too. Your warranty issues I am unsure of,warranty is warranty and when your out by miles or time your out! Thats all their is too it! Sometimes if you have a good rep like we do and have a failure a short time out of warranty they will get it covered for you,and I dont mean valves,coolers I mean hard part failures. The next thing is maintenance I am not telling you how to maintain your truck,but around here our hardcore Quarry trucks,change oil at 5,000 miles because of heat(oil breakdown) and air filter once maybe up to three times a month for the dust! If its not getting the air it needs performance will suffer along with other symptom like high exhaust temp which leads to high coolant temp which leads to higher than normal oil temps which breaks down oil rapidly. I personally would not be one bit scared of that engine:sleep

trucker378
04-08-2010, 04:44 AM
Thanks ISX, you're making me feel alittle better. Maybe I'll change my oil and filters a little earlier than what I'm used to. It sounds like alot of the problems are happening because of to much idle time. That is hard to get away from being in a logging truck. When I bought my truck I spent a long time on the phone with a person at cummins northwest in Spokane and he told me to change oil at 15,000 miles in a vocational truck and 20 or 25,000 in a highway truck and I thought he was nuts. Guess I was right.
Thanks again ISX

trucker378
04-08-2010, 04:50 AM
whats a 402 software version flash going to do.

CumminsISXpower
04-09-2010, 11:08 PM
The 402 software effects basicly everything in the EGR system,opens and closes valve more to help prevent sticking,changes some sensor readings for different reaction from the ecm,it really cuts down on valve replacement I have found and most customer say it gives a littte more power and MPG. I would recommend getting it done or atleast checking into it.:thumbsup

domniman2002
04-11-2010, 04:43 PM
basically.......use the correct fuel, oil and drain intervals and that engine will run and be a great engine for you. make sure if you lose the damn radiator cap that you dont grab a cap from oreilly's (7lbs) and put it on it, anything with a egr valve or cgi on it requires a 15lb or higher..... lol......this does not work, extended drain intervals on isx need to be read on qsol and completely understood. had a gentlemen in last week that had 40k on a cm871 with the factory filters still installed. common people...talk to the techs that went through all the cvc classes that had to learn all this stuff and quit listening to the "trucker buddy" because he once did something to another engine. wait till you see the cm2250 with all the scr stuff on it.....we aint seen nothing yet...........these engines last as long as the driver knows what he is doing.........lol

nittygritty
04-07-2011, 01:44 AM
I can testify to your friends problem . I also have a cummins isx. Cm870 it started with egr cooler leak when I replaced it at peterbilt I got ten miles down th road and the #4 crankshaft bearing came apart had to do a complete out of frame overhaul my cost $24000 I got no help from cummins or peterbilt these engines are junk BUYER BEWARE. I am selling mine asap. And ijust got a pm at petro 3000 miles prior

Ihatecummins
06-08-2011, 04:56 AM
I have owned three ISX cummins my first experience was a 2006 565 cummins this engine used 6 turbos, 8 EGR valve, a complete inflame at 400,000km. Traded the truck off on a 2008 ISX 600 this engine has had 6 turbos replaced 4 EGR valves, then a out of frame inflame at 790,000km this cost me $16,000.00 with warranty because cummins requires you to contribute 25%. A out of frame inflame includes the crankshaft and cost $42,000.00 if you do not have warranty. I had purchased a 2009 ISX 600 as well this motor has a sensor go once a month for the price of $300.00 per sensor. Then did a mandatory filter cleaning for $1000.00 one week later did EGR valve and turbo. In total my cummins experience has cost me over $100,000.00 worth of down time. I have a spare truck just incase a truck goes down since owning cummins I have averaged over 75,000km a year on it. So in conclusion can't wait for Cat to build anything that is not cummins.

379Longhood
06-08-2011, 02:42 PM
:sprayw

bigbomar
06-09-2011, 01:45 AM
So in conclusion can't wait for Cat to build anything that is not cummins.

Sorry buddy CATs gone from the on road market. The closest you will see to a new CAT is internationals new maxxforce15. It uses a C15 base engine but all IH/MAN electronics, fuel system, and aftertreatment system. The engine hasnt been released yet as far as I know so who knows how good its gonna be.

fest777
06-11-2011, 09:57 PM
on the baldwin filter quality control, 4 years ago i bought a couple of bf 970's or something and they would not even screw on too the filter housing, parts man said i had the wrong filter ! no way, the threads were double cut you could see them. bad Q/C at baldwin be care full with there products

etran1060
07-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Use 14000024 thats a Sig 600 CPL2442,that will get you what ya need except you will need some custom parts such as block offs for the coolant feed and return for EGR cooler,and also coolant feed for turbo,EGR valve,or you can swap the whole oil cooler housing to the old style but we blocks them off much cheaper!!! Mainly need ECM,harness,some diff sensor or you can swap the plugs on some,manifold,turbo,lines,and possibly an IFSM. GOOD LUCK be patient!!!:peelout

Hi there, I'm new on this forum. I need some advice on Cummins ISX, I have a 02 pre EGR Cummins ISX serial # 14032483 with about 985K miles and get ready for an Inframe or rebuild job. (the Camshaft got an abnormal wear on it) Eng. took about 1.5 gal of oil per 10k miles. I'm still getting avg fuel mileage @ around 7.3mpg with moderate wt. load. Any recodmmend shop with a decent labor rate and honest that can do the ISX rebuild job ! Please email me: edungtran@yahoo.com Thanks.