When was egr introduced to cummins [Archive] - TheDieselGarage.com

: When was egr introduced to cummins

6litrefan
04-17-2010, 03:19 AM
Can you guys tell me when or what year egr was introduced into the cummins on the dodge trucks.....was it when they came out with the 6.7??? Cause i dont think the 5.9 had egr correct???.....and also when where the last of the 5.9's made....07?

Kummins
04-17-2010, 03:52 AM
You are correct. EGR came out in 07.5 on the 6.7. Last year for the 5.9 was 07.

kubotaorange76
05-06-2010, 01:33 AM
it didnt start until 04.5 when the changed the camshaft profile and introduced 3rd injection event....camshaft profile closes exhaust valve easrlier to hold in exhaust gases to produce an "in cylinder egr"

MART5.9
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
it didnt start until 04.5 when the changed the camshaft profile and introduced 3rd injection event....camshaft profile closes exhaust valve easrlier to hold in exhaust gases to produce an "in cylinder egr"
You are correct. A lot a people don`t know this. You can tell on a 06 like mine, by how fast the oil turns black after an oil change.

Kummins
05-06-2010, 05:25 PM
A lot a people don`t know this.

I didn't know this. Good to know although an in cyclinder process can't be tinkered with or have nearly the effect of an external. In other words pre 6.7 EGR is barely noticeable.

kubotaorange76
05-06-2010, 07:03 PM
That's one of the reasons ii did my cam , gets rid of it much cooler egt

patriot2500
05-07-2010, 11:27 AM

I didn't know this either.

kubotaorange76
05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
theres a few good threads about it on DTR and CF with some links to literature from cummins talking about it

now if you buy a camshaft from cummins for your 03-04 motor you get the same grind as 04.5-07

The 9cm exhaust housing helps the "in cylinder egr" effect as well...

Camshaft was one of the best mods i have done, right there with turbo

kubotaorange76
05-07-2010, 11:40 AM
heres one http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/cylinder-egr-t210182.html?highlight=cylinder+egr

MART5.9
05-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Ya but don`t worry about it at all. It`s nothing compare to an EGR soot at all.:popcorn I traded my 07.5 6.7 for an 06 5.9, i did`nt want no soot anymore, i knew about this timing stuf before trading my 6.7.

What makes the soot coming from a real EGR system such a killer is the exhaust fume cooling down and turning to dry dust before re-entering combustion chamber . It does`nt happen this way with a 05-06 5.9 at all and it`s not considered as soot at all but only very small part of hot exhaust fume staying inside to go thru combustion once more. We have 3 old tractor trailer with detroit using a similar system and they all have over 650 000 miles on them and still run strong.With regular oil changes, your 5.9 is going to pump fuel FOREVER!!!

Kummins
05-08-2010, 04:15 PM
This has turned into a very interesting thread. I wonder though if changing out a cam and getting rid of this hurts emmisions for those of us that have to do emmisions testing (state requirement) every year or every other year?

On a side note I have noticed the later years 3rd gen motors do run very hot campared to earlier year models. This explains that at least in part. The 3rd injection event and timing probably have something to do with that as well. At the very lease this has rekindled my interest in getting an oil bypass system. I have also wondered why my oil turned black so fast. I was starting to wonder if my motor (or programmer) was having as issue.

Like yo usaid Mart I still don't think this is near as problamatic as an external EGR though. I've seen first hand how much of an impact those things have.

kubotaorange76
05-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Thats exactly it....retarded timing + some EGR + 3rd (late) injection event gives you 1400*+ egt temps stock

I have no doubt the cams effect emmissions...cant hurt to try the test with it though, you can always switch back to stock if you have to

definitely not as bad as full out egr..no soot in the intake tract and clogging up turbo etc etc

MART5.9
05-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I personnaly would`nt try to switch cam on my truck just to see what happens with my personnal truck. A lot of 05 an 06 working around here have over 500 000miles on them an no issues so far.

kubotaorange76
05-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Worked out great for me

the low geared g-56 trucks benifeit from it more i beleive..since we are turning 2550 rpm at 80 mph. My mileage around town and 55-65 mph highway didnt change much still around 17-18

But my interstate mpg went up from about 15.5 to 17-18 after cam and turbo

MART5.9
05-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Ok, you did`nt change the cam just to get rid of the exhaust timing? You did it for a mpg purpose at first i guess? In real, that exhaust timing stuff we have is totally harmless on the engine reliability .If the cam really makes a difference on mpg i don`t how i could expect more than 20 to 22mpg from a 7650 pounds truck?

I also did get better mpg on my 07.5 6.7L 6 speed with larger tires to get a lower rpm wich is way too hight at speed over 65mph. Our engine are at there best around 1800-2000rpm for fuel economy.

MART5.9
05-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I don`t think it would make any difference on the emission test at all. If it did`nt make enought difference for the emission regulation in 2006 and they had to add a full EGR system in 2007.5, well it means it did, nt make much difference in 06 at first.

But from looking and asking around over time the timing we have is totally harmless and produce NO SOOT within the engine like a full EGR where NOX are cooled down first producing a fine dust``soot`` and re-introduce in the intake.

If you ever have a look inside a EGR valve you`ll see how dusty it is. If you have a fireplace home, well it looks exactly like the inside of your cheminee after a long winter.......But that is what CJ4 oil additive is taking care of.

Kummins
05-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I don`t think it would make any difference on the emission test at all. If it did`nt make enought difference for the emission regulation in 2006 and they had to add a full EGR system in 2007.5, well it means it did, nt make much difference in 06 at first.

But from looking and asking around over time the timing we have is totally harmless and produce NO SOOT within the engine like a full EGR where NOX are cooled down first producing a fine dust``soot`` and re-introduce in the intake.

If you ever have a look inside a EGR valve you`ll see how dusty it is. If you have a fireplace home, well it looks exactly like the inside of your cheminee after a long winter.......But that is what CJ4 oil additive is taking care of.

But see the problem with the emmision testing in my state is that each model year has it's own standard. So while the incylinder EGR may not have done enough to satisfy the forthcoming EPA standards it may have still had better emmissions than no EGR at all and hence my concerns with the emissions testing if the cam is changed.

MART5.9
05-11-2010, 11:09 PM
But see the problem with the emmision testing in my state is that each model year has it's own standard. So while the incylinder EGR may not have done enough to satisfy the forthcoming EPA standards it may have still had better emmissions than no EGR at all and hence my concerns with the emissions testing if the cam is changed.

Oh! ok I see. That`s different then. But i don`t know if it`s possible to get a hand on emission specs somewhere for each 5.9 generation and compare 05-06 with others just to see if 05-06 has a big difference compare to pre-05.

kubotaorange76
07-19-2014, 08:04 PM
i think egr actually started in 94 on california 12 valves?

later
07-23-2014, 05:35 AM
I had a 03 F600 California Emission Legal truck and it had a EGR on a 5.9