The Diesel Garage banner

Why Was the Cummins 555 Not Popular?

103K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Flippin' Crazee 
#1 ·
Hi,

Why was the Cummins V-555 line not so popular?

My theories are that these engines, which include the VTF-555, were an outgrowth of the V-470 (VINE) and the V-504 diesel engines, all of which are undersquare (with a 4-5/8" bore, the V-470 having a 3-1/2" stroke, the V-504 a 3-3/4" stroke and the V-555 a 4-1/8" stroke).

Here is a video of a VTF-555 in action as a retrofit engine in a 1952 American LaFrance fire engine:

~Ben

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a few theories. First it wasn't that good an engine. Cummins [I read this in a Cummins quoted article] did little to push it's smaller v engines, and really did not believe the v was a good design for a diesel platform. they believed in the inline design, and did indeed have issues with their v engines. Also the 505 555 and other v engines came into a market [medium trucks] that was dominated by gas engines.

Gas engines were easier to maintain, replace, and were proven. Now the tables have turned, and the diesels dominate, but the inline is the configuration of choice. Personally I like the v engine's, the 3208 was one of my favorites. It was also the best of the medium v8's back in the day. Now the only v8 is the 444e[7.3] or the 365[6.0]. Personally I'm a big fan of the 7.3, but in the end, I prefer my trucks to be 466 powered. My old man had a triple nickle [555] back in the late 70's. It was in a tandem international dump, ran it a few years and had no issues.

#15 ·
I have a few theories. First it wasn't that good an engine. Cummins [I read this in a Cummins quoted article] did little to push it's smaller v engines, and really did not believe the v was a good design for a diesel platform. they believed in the inline design, and did indeed have issues with their v engines. Also the 505 555 and other v engines came into a market [medium trucks] that was dominated by gas engines.

Gas engines were easier to maintain, replace, and were proven. Now the tables have turned, and the diesels dominate, but the inline is the configuration of choice. Personally I like the v engine's, the 3208 was one of my favorites. It was also the best of the medium v8's back in the day. Now the only v8 is the 444e[7.3] or the 365[6.0]. Personally I'm a big fan of the 7.3, but in the end, I prefer my trucks to be 466 powered. My old man had a triple nickle [555] back in the late 70's. It was in a tandem international dump, ran it a few years and had no issues.
I agree the Dt466 (mecahnical) was a truly fine engine,,. I guess I agree and disagree about the CAT 3208. I owned about ten of them, they were quite popular in their heyday, but it was one of the most troublesome engines I owned, especially compared with Cummins and Detroit that ALWAYS started and ran. The 3208 injector pumps would seize up (Admittedly, also due to low lubricity fuel in California) and had to be partially dismantled, flooded with Chemtool solvent, and hopefuly you'd break it free. For industrial engines I still prefer in line 6 cylinders.

#3 ·
Why was the Cummins V-555 line not so popular?

It was the worst of all of Cummins' V8s, we called them 'cripple fives' here. You name it, if failed. The V-903, VT-903 & VT-300/320/350 enjoyed a good following in Australia even though they weren't that great either. As a general rule, V8 diesels are limited by their lack of main bearings compared to straight 6 diesels. Even the mightiest Mack V8 topped out at 610HP before it reached it's limit & the Cat 3408 didn't even get that far.

#6 ·
you got a point, but. remember the v8 engines back in the day ruled the road, as compared to what 6cyl engines that were available. as time went by,the inlines were being built to turn out more power, and with a cheaper cost to produce, and repair, it just made sense to go that route on otr trucks. as for main bearing numbers, thats a good point as well. again consider this, the inline has to have the extra bearing's due to the torsinal stress on the crank[ because it's much longer.] the most important thing to remember about mains,and other bearings is not so much as the number of them, but the size of them also. wider bearings carry loads with less stress. not directing this at anyone inparticular, but it makes me chuckle everytime i hear someone say a inline will last a lot longer then a v design engine. spend some time in the mineing industry as well as the gas well industry, and one can plainly see that the v's hold up very well for lot's of hrs.

#4 ·
the VTA-903T's in the M2/M3 Bradley's are running at 600 hp...

Reactions: Duke
#5 ·
L'autre raison pourquoi le nickel triple triple c'est-à-dire cinq moteur ils exécute vraiment l'assez haut tr-min et ils avaient vraiment une certaine question avec le comportement ce que j'ai entendu.

Le cinq moteur triple est ok à moi rien ne s'imagine(a envie de) à côté de peu de bizarreries avec cela.

The other reason why the triple nickel aka triple five motor they do run pretty high rpm and they did have some issue with bearing what I heard.

The triple five motor is ok to me nothing fancy beside few quirks with it.

Merci,Marc

#7 ·
We have one in our versatile, and have yet to have any trouble out of it, it actually runs pretty good.

Reactions: Gillig8V71
#8 ·
I worked a linkbelt crane back in the 80's with a 555 and 13 speed. It grossed 58,000 lbs. down the road. Top end was 65 mph. If you hit a hill you tried to grab at least 2 gears to maintain some speed. It did do good for the stationary work it usually did on the job sights. It spent a lot of time maxed out on rpm's pouring concrete or slinging iron. I think we overhualed it once.

#9 ·
A fair number of them were used in ag applications. Big A floaters and farm tractors as 2.

My uncle had 2 555 Series 3 Versatile 4wd tractors with the 555 Cummins. Still owns the first one he bought. Other went up in a VERY nasty oil fire when a hyd line blew oil on the exhaust manifold. His Big A also had a 555 Cummins, backed by an Allison MT540, IIRC.

#12 ·
Ouais ils sont à la gamme de 3200-3400 TR-MIN non sûre, mais ont entendu dire que quelqu'un m'a dit que le 555 moteur a vraiment utilisé acier pistion {que la partie je ne suis pas sûr si c'est des renseignements corrects}

Yeah they are at 3200-3400 RPM range not sure but heard someone told me that the 555 engine did use steel pistion { that part I am not sure if that is correct info }

Merci,Marc

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
#16 ·
Just bought an old defuel/refuel Military tanker truck (US Navy AS-30 Diamon Cutters) and had my son in law look at it before purchase to see what engine it was and the condition of the engine oil. Told me it was a Detroit... so I'm thinking 1975 build probably 8-71... great engine, leaked oil but ran like a sum *****. I buy the truck an old Dodge LCF Tanker (5000 Gal. Aluminum tank that looks great) and the engine turns out to be a triple nickel. Almost 21K miles on the engine with a 4-speed automatic Allison Transmission and she still runs great... no oil dilution that I can see. What ya'll think? Resell it as a whole or just hope I can part it out and recoup some funds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.