The Diesel Garage banner

nv4500 stuck in 5th gear

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cookzchoice 
#1 ·
truck is a 95 2500 4x4. driving to work this morning, slowing down for a stop sign, tried to downshift and it won't come out of 5th. clutch is working, but the shifter won't budge. I spoke to the previous owner today, he said he would suspect the 5th gear nut came loose (about 20k miles on rebuilt tranny). If that's the problem, is there a way to get to it without dropping the tranny? The book I have doesn't cover much for the tranny (Haynes) so I haven't found an exploded view yet. Any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
It is really easy to do. I had to fix the 5th gear in my truck to. Remove the driveshaft,transfer case, and then the tail shaft housing from the trans and there is 5th gear. Go to your local dodge dealer they can print you of a diagram of it, while your there you might as well order the fix kit for it.
I belive that this is the right part number 5013887-AA.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Thank you both. I've heard from several people about the 5th gear nut, but my gut feeling after looking at some diagrams would be a shift fork issue. I'll have to do some more digging until I have time to crack her open. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.