The Diesel Garage banner

6.4 Turbo whistle

17K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Blk350on20s 
#1 ·
I have an 09 6.4 on order, what do these sound like straight piped? Can you hear the Turbo whistle at all? I really like the sound of my Straight piped 6.0, do the 6.4's sound anywhere near as good?

#4 ·
That doesn't sound TOO bad, not as good as a 6.0, but hopefully this new truck won't have the turbo and oil leak problems.....

#5 ·
well it sounds pretty nasty w/ the 275 tune once you let off of it. and from time to time you can hear the turbo relatively well, especially through small towns.

#6 ·
Here a few videos that will give you an idea.

This was when I first installed the delete pipe and DPF delete tunes.
[ame=http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Shock884/?action=view&current=Stacks2_0001.flv]
[/ame]

Here's one with the full system.
[ame=http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/Shock884/?action=view&current=DPFCatDelete_0001.flv]
[/ame]

Reactions: fine69
#7 ·
I've had 3 powerstrokes. 7.3L, 6.0L and the 6.4L
The 6.4L is the best engine by FAR, but it sounds absolutely HORRIBLE straighted piped.
One turbo kills off the other, so there is virtually no whistle at all, and the VGT vanes create a air rush sound that's so bad, I had to install a flow thru muffler to make it acceptable.
It's not the 6.0L sound guys....

#8 ·
I have to agree that the hair-dryer effect is annoying. From some of the posts I've read, the 5" tends to reduce (not eliminate) the hair-dryer annoyance, while adding a muffling-bass affect.

I was running the stock 3-1/2" with a flow thru muffler and it was annoying. I'm looking into the 5" straight pipe route now. :happymugs

#9 ·
They dont sound bad. Once my rpms hit around 2700 it sounds almost as good as a 6.0, but for the first 2000rpms or so you hear a hairdryer sound, which takes getting used to. Im not going to put a muffler on it unless im made too, I sounds good to me. Its louder than my dads 6.0 with a cat and muffler on it. You can hear the turbos good inside the cab, i noticed that its louder with my AFE cover off. I like a little whistle, but dont care for the extremely loud whistle that some 6.0's have.

#12 ·
The loud *** 6.0 whistle is the best. But the 6.4 isnt to bad. Hopefully some bigger turbos will help it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.