The Diesel Garage banner

Problems with 08 Duramax

133K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  New 0mega 
#1 ·
Friend is looking to buy a 2008 GMC Duramax 2500 crew, 4x4 auto. Are there any problem areas that he should know about? Thank you for the input

#3 ·
I've officially had my 08 for a month now, have over 3500 problem free miles on it!

I will say i'm not a HUGE fan of the electronic 4x4...the shifter covers the light saying if you're in 2 or 4 it doesn't display that up on the dash like my dodge did.... there is also the fact that its a pain in the butt to change a fuel filter, so that's now my mechanic's job not mine anymore.

Those being the only 2 things but i'd buy one again in a heart beat!

#4 ·
From what I've heard, the 08 Dmax is pretty damn good, aside from less fuel mileage than the LBZ, but that's to be expected with the emissions that all of the big 3 have to meet. I just can't bring myself to embrace the new body style. I really liked the 01-06 look a lot more, but I could drive the GMC, as long as it has the work truck interior package.

#9 ·
try either turning your tuner down or unplugging it all together, it sounds like its running out of fuel but w/ a big lift pump then i'd lean towards the PPE being the cluprit.

although.....you might have already fried the injection pump (i'm a dodge boy, don't know much about these Chevy's yet, but if it was a dodge i'd say injection pump so you might want to look into that, too bad its not under waranty probably with the PPE installed)

let us know how things go

#10 ·
though not covered by warranty i had the dealership check out the injection pump and they said it was ok... i have turned down the chip to the lowest stage and still had the problems with the DPF deleted i am nervous about running the truck for very long with out the chip installed as you know it is what shuts off the regeneration. i have talked to PPE and they said they would talk to their techs and get back too me but that was two weeks ago. unless there is a flaw in the particular batch of chip i got i have my doubts the it is PPE's fault beause though not as bad my brother has the exac same setup as i do and also the same problems, but not quite as bad.

I have read about lots of other people running the same equipment as me but dont seem to have the problems, are there some tranny mods that is sould do or something? I am at a loss

#12 ·
I am coming up on 100,000 Kilometers, I had one oil leak when new, lost a center bearing, and a top rear lens was cracked, all covered by warrenty, I pull a dump trailer up mountains and it pulls great. I get a lot better fuel mileage than any Ford 6.0 or 6.4, even the Dodge 6.7.
I bought one of the first ones out, I service it myself, dependable. All stock

#13 ·
I had to replace the airbag controler, had some wires in the dash that go to the drivers door fixed, had to replace a leaky brake booster hose, replaced 2 glow plugs, and replace a u-joint. but I've put 180000+ km on my truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.