The Diesel Garage banner

exhaust donut gasket

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  camojeeper 
#1 ·
somewhere I read on here that these are known for being faulty, I guess that my question is how can you tell, it really seems to me that my truck is ouder than crap in the cab, i have a buddy that has the same truck cc sb wise and his just seems a little quieter, I did not know if this may be my problem. Any thoughts??

#2 ·
It isn't a matter of them being faulty, but a matter of wearing out.

If you look at the up-pipes where they go into the "Y" manifold or baby's butt as it's refered to. If you see black soot streaks on the up-pipe coming from the baby's butt, it's leaking.

I just replaced those donuts and after a couple trial & error attempts I found the best ones are from Car Quest. I'll have to go find that part number and get back to you.

The job isn't real pleasant, especially if your bolts don't want to come out of the baby's butt. I did find that taking the downpipe out did help access to the passenger side a ton.

on edit: Car Quest F17250 exhaust donuts are the ones to use. They're wider, thicker than Ford donuts and crush better than the sintered metal ones from NAPA.

Oh, and did I mention, they're recommended by Bean?

#3 ·
i am going to replace thoughs this weekend i will definatly take your advise i just hope there not to much of a pain to fix. Do you remember how much they where?

#4 ·
I also understand that sometimes the pipe will be worn where it contacts the doughnut so you can't get a good seal.
I'm going to buy new pipes and douhnuts from powerstrokeshop.com for 120 bucks because I believe that the labor involved will be extensive enough that I don't want to take a chance. Also, I drilled a hole in my up-pipe for my pyrometer and when I have it apart I'm going to drill and tap the manifold. I'll be doing mine this summer when I can commute to work on my motorcycle, and I'm not looking forward to it.
There are also bellowed pipes with gaskets you can buy from BWD. They were on sale for 300 last I looked. And 450 if you want ceramic coating.

#5 ·
There's no doubt in my mind that if I had a SD the bellowed up pipes is what I would get. Put it in and forget about up-pipe leaks...forever.

I had up-pipes leaking on my obs and I put in the Napa equivelant to that Car Quest number and they have been sealed up for about a year now. They are much better to seal up used up-pipes than the hard stock doughnuts.

#7 ·
HeffPsDiesel said:
i am going to replace thoughs this weekend i will definatly take your advise i just hope there not to much of a pain to fix. Do you remember how much they where?
They were like $5 a piece.

My pipes were "worn", meaning they were squeezed where the donuts made contact. I just used a tailpipe expander to expand them as much as possible. I was continually checking the fit with the baby's butt and donuts to make sure I didn't over expand them.

Oh and BTW: Bean told me even the bellowed up-pipes will fail at the bellows sooner or later. He has replace a ton of them.

#9 ·
so do any of you think that these little bastards might be causing my cab noise?

#10 ·
probably not when mine failed i could here that tell tail ticking of an ex leak as for changing them mark the flange at the "y" it will most likely move before you put it back together at least mine did NIGHTMARE to say the least
oh ya and there still leaking!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.