The Diesel Garage banner

6.9 upgrades?

16K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  imported_7inchstack 
#1 ·
My buddy has a 6.9L and was looking in to getting some power upgrades. he wants a turbo but he's affraid the motor will fall apart (242,000) hard miles. will the motor hold up with a turbo? and are there any injectors or anything that will give him some more fuel flow? ill find out the year,tranny,ect... tommorow.
Thanks Ryan

#2 ·
anyone?
Ryan

#3 ·
Have him run this test. I believe its called a blow-by test. With the engine warm/idleing take off the oil filler cap and check to see if he can see any smoke coming out of it. If he can see smoke coming out with it idleing in a good amount, then I would say he isnt a good canidate, but if hardly any smoke or no smoke comes out he should be good.

As for injectors, theres only one place www.dps-performance.com, they also sell injection pumps to your specs. But some people have had bad customer service from them, and others have gotten bad items from them.

#4 ·
alright i'll let him now. Thanks What kinda power do the 6.9's put out stock? (to the wheels?) like 130 HP?
Thanks Ryan

#5 ·
Yeah I would say 130hp at the wheels is around the average for a stock IDI. Turbo IDI's with fresh IP's and injectors will put down around 200hp.

Another thing is ask him how much oil he burns, should be around a quart of oil every 500 miles, or less. And if you want to go over the top, get a compression tester and test all the cylinders for compression.

#6 ·
Just be careful, the wrist pins are the weak link there in those when turboing them. If he does do it do not over boost it especially with that many miles on it.

#7 ·
I put my truck on a dyno and only got 170hp at the rear wheels. I have an after market turbo, a higher performance injector pump (not just a screw turn up), 20hp injectors, 3 1/2 in exhaust and k&n air filter with soup bowl mods. I also have a holley blue electric fuel pump. Thats a lot of stuff and work just to have 170hp. I can have a bigger ip pump and injectors built but I have to do some internal engine work and head work. Hope that gives you an idea.

#8 ·
alright thanks guys i'll pass this info to him. how much boost we talking? not much like 15-20 PSI?
Thanks Ryan

#9 ·
Boost is kind of your own personal preference. Usually people say a stock 6.9 with head bolts can handle a max of 12-15psi. I would stay on the low side of that, unless you had head studs, then 15 psi wouldnt be a problem.

And looking at another thread on another site, I would say 200hp for a turbo IDI is a little to much. Heres a quote from the thread, he was talking about how propane makes a difference power-wise.

"Here are my numbers on the dyno run this summer:

First pull, no LPG
HP 183.15 Torque 325.45

2nd and 3rd pull with LPG

HP 205.35 Torque 362.64
HP 205.51 Torque 361.55

So 22.96 increase in HP and 37.19 increase in Torque with the propane.

One of the guys figured that is 298.5HP at the crank with the LPG. not bad for a stock pump, just turned up, stock injectors, old style Banks turbo, and homeade LPG. Oh yea, little exhaust work also."

I think that 298.5hp at the crank is a bit excessive though, more like 250-260hp at the crank.

#10 ·
205.51 WHP is about 236.90 CHP if he has a M/T.

How? The driveline efficiency of the F2/350 with a M/T is about 86.75%, lower with an A/T.

DO NOT get greedy with power if you have a 6.9L. The pistons cannot take a lot of CP, and the headgaskets are already prone to external leaks.

#11 ·
15psi is about all you want on a stock engine, even on a pretty tight engine. I run about 12 to 14psi on my truck.

#12 ·
FordGuy100 said:
Boost is kind of your own personal preference. Usually people say a stock 6.9 with head bolts can handle a max of 12-15psi. I would stay on the low side of that, unless you had head studs, then 15 psi wouldnt be a problem.

And looking at another thread on another site, I would say 200hp for a turbo IDI is a little to much. Heres a quote from the thread, he was talking about how propane makes a difference power-wise.

"Here are my numbers on the dyno run this summer:

First pull, no LPG
HP 183.15 Torque 325.45

2nd and 3rd pull with LPG

HP 205.35 Torque 362.64
HP 205.51 Torque 361.55

So 22.96 increase in HP and 37.19 increase in Torque with the propane.

One of the guys figured that is 298.5HP at the crank with the LPG. not bad for a stock pump, just turned up, stock injectors, old style Banks turbo, and homeade LPG. Oh yea, little exhaust work also."

I think that 298.5hp at the crank is a bit excessive though, more like 250-260hp at the crank.
I find 183hp with only a turned up pump and at turbo with exhaust mods a little hard to believe. Don't get me wrong but I would have to see it to believe it. I've done alot of mods and only got 170hp.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Theres also a video of him racing a second gen PSD with a mild chip (like 40hp econo tune) and he was keeping up with him until around 70mph. And its not a manual, it has a C6 and gear vendors overdrive.

#15 ·
With an A/T the driveline efficiency is lower at about 84.8%, there is also some loss in the "gear vendors" unit, even in direct, but I doubt it pulls more than 1% more off it.

So his 205.51 WHP ~= 205.51/0.848 = 242.34 CHP, so 245 HP at the crank, TOPS.

#16 ·
alright thanks guys! i talked to him and he's figuring out how much he can spend on it. He's thinking turbo upgrade,headstuds,injectors and then just turning the pump up. What do you think of that? is that a good start?
Thanks Ryan

#18 ·
YA! thanks thats really helpful.Thanks a bounch guys.
Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.