The Diesel Garage banner

Out of frame overhaul price on Big Cam

15K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  LOG HAULER 
#1 ·
I was quoted 6500 for an out of frame line bore, turn crank, manuflux block, cut counter bores install my cylinder kit...Fuel pump and injectors are already done...Is this a good price? Or go get a take out of 15oo?......:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

#5 ·
If it is a working truck you might be stuck but you might consider hooking up with a vocational school instructor and see what it would cost you to have the school put it together under supervision. You would be without it for a time but I suspect if you hook up with the right folks and allow them the time to do it and provide all the parts you might get back a pretty good motor. Just an idea.

#9 ·
I have been researching this quite a bit as I am in the same boat, except my engine is installed. We were talking about 7500 w/ parts and labor (although I am doing about 30% myself) using Genuine Cummins Tri-Tech piston and liners. The 7500 included removing the camshaft and changing the cam bearings, as well as performance work (the limited amount that can be done to the BC1 cam follower system). This price also includes cutting the counterbores and installed LPF liners.

I would say that 6500 for the machine work alone is pricey, especially in an area where BC engines are relatively cheap in running format.

I have been talking to an engine supplier / broker regularly over the past few weeks. Just yesterday he called me about a 1988 BC3 engine CPL531 @ 400HP, w/ only 2000 miles, documented, for 6995 plus core, and they paid to ship the core back to them. He is in SW Michigan.

Just a thought.
TOM

Reactions: Rogerstar1
#10 ·
At this point I rather spend the extra money getting it line bored and all of that other crap instead of putting a engine in I know nothing about

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.