The Diesel Garage banner

Oil Cooler and EGR Cooler Replacement

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Lubbockguy1979 
#1 ·
My truck has been puking for a while and I had the coolant tested and it seems the gaskets are ok, (hopefully). My questions is who has replaced just there oil cooler and EGR cooler and problem is solved? Also what if I replace the two of them and then my problem is still there? Can I just do gaskets then or will I be replacing the oil cooler and EGR cooler again? Just trying to do the right thing and save as much money as possible. By the way my coolant is dirty so I know a coolant flush and coolant filter needs to be installed. Just trying to do things in the right order. THANKS! for the help.

#2 ·
I had a puking issue with the last 6.0 I had. I had the oil cooler replaced under warranty and that solved the problem for about 30k then shw started puking again.

#5 ·
Couple of things to note:

Oil cooler gets clogged with sand casting that floats in the coolant.
Oil cooler feeds the EGR cooler coolant, so when the oil cooler gets clogged, EGR cooler starves for coolant.

Remedies:
Oil cooler service kit
Coolant filter Kit
Upgraded EGR cooler or By pass kit

Call or PM me for any questions.

#6 ·
aw man, i just started a thread on oil cooler service kit and now ran across this. Are the service kits easy to use and where to get them?

#7 ·
One thing to note if you do a oil cooler and are wanting studs. Or if you are doing studs only. You will be at the point that adding new head gaskets and studs is not a lot of added labor. It is highly reccomended to replace the oil cooler if you do studs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.