The Diesel Garage banner

dt466e blue cam sensor swap

12K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  sidssm 
#1 ·
here is a sight selling this blue dt466e cam sensor it says it is better along with better performance

has anyone done this and if so did it help i would like everyones opinion on this thanks seth

#2 ·
#3 ·
As I recall it was originally thought that it advanced timing a couple degrees improving performance. However come to find out it actually retards timeing a couple degrees giving the opposite effect. Another case of someone finding something and preaching it like it's gospel before they find out the truth behind it and a lot of people jumping on the bandwaggon only to find out that they just blew their hard earned money on snake oil.

#4 ·
I don't think they last any longer eather I've replaced just as many in 466's as I have in 444E's

#5 ·
thanks for replys i have this posted in other forums also and i have some people stating that on dyno runs this blue sensor will retard timing causing a drop 5-30 hp but it causes that plus a little in torque gain. that was said in my post on 7.3 discussion

#6 ·
For future reference it is best to post a question about something in one forum. If it a 7.3 specific question the 7.3 forum would be the best place to ask. A thread can always be moved if it is in the wrong forum.

#7 ·
Well I will put this to bed on more time. Jody Tipton did Cylinder Pressure testing on My truck in February of last year with a Blue CPS and a Black CPS. The blue CPS retards timing without question. When you look at the CP graph it runs uphill, peaks at max cylinder pressure, drops as the piston is leaving TDC, then rises again at the point of injection/combustion, then falls as the piston goes down. It should have only one peak not a peak, then a divot, then a second peak. In effect it is firing the injector after TDC (and max compression) and the flame front is chasing the piston down the bore. Where it should fire just before TDC and then push the piston down the bore.

And yes my truck idled smoother and ran in a manner that felt normal with the Blue CPS. I drove it to BTS and probably a total of 5,000 miles with the Blue CPS. But for the proper performance run the Black CPS and forget about the Blue CPS.

Lots of people are running the Blue and wont change back to a Black but they just don't understand what they are giving up.

Bottom line,The Black fires the injectors at maximum compression. The Blue fires after maximum compression has occurred and is in effect firing at a lower compression ratio. Thus less roughness..... Or so it seems.

Does this clear it up now?

If you want to read more here is a link to the original thread where I posted the results.

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubb...73upgrades1&Number=2797060&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

FOMOGO

#8 ·
I also thought this was put to bed already as I posted on another thread stating that we run the black 444e/psd sensrors in dt 466 engines to advance the timing and improve performance if the black is prefered in the dt and the dt blue sensors are more sensitive to correct air gap and fail just as often as the black sensors what makes anyone think te blue is prefered in the 444e/psd its snake oil as was said and not advisable period end of story

#9 ·
Exactly......

FOMOGO

#10 ·
It honestly doesn't matter how many times you think you put it to bed. New people are going to discover it much like the original poster found it on ebay and they are going to ask as they've never heard about it before.

#12 ·
I Posted This In Two Forums Thinking That Two Different Groups Of People Would Reply I Posted Them At The Same Time Also. I Apologize If For The Inconvenience

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.