The Diesel Garage banner

What is the HUTCH Mod

9K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  QtrHorse 
#1 ·
I've been reading about this hutch mod. I've tried the search on it but came up with nothing. If any body can tell me about it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again Sean

#4 ·
SPDiesel said:
Could your reading be referring to the old Hutch in-tank prepump mods?

I believe that's the mod.

G
#7 ·
I have done it. Its basically re-doing the intank part of your fuel system. When the fuel level gets low enough...you begin to suck air into the fuel stream. Not good.

The old pickup also allows engine warmed foamy fuel to be re-circulated back into the fuel stream...instead of dumping straight back into the tank. Dennis at ITP sells a kit that fixes this problem...along with fixing the pre-pump issue as well.

#8 ·
Not sending people away...the install is probably well documented there. Sorry I don't have time to search the forums for where the install proceducres are.

basically it amounts to altering the fuel pickup in the tank. Many have also added a fuel filter with a clear window to the pre-pump area under the frame rail. the mods take about 1/2 day to do.

#9 ·
As already stated, there are a few vendors who sell the intank mod kit. ITP is one and Diesel Innovations is another. If you have a couple of friends, you can take the bed off and have it done in 2-3 hours, w/ a few breaks in between (this is w/ you taking your time and not rushing). I highly recommend for you to use some type of cut off wheel (dremel works great) when cutting the factory steel lines and make sure to debur anything you cut. I used ITP's kit and was very pleased w/ the instructions and items that it included. You could also buy his regulated return it w/ it and save a few $$.

#10 ·
Thanks for the input, I'll have to take a look at ITP.

#11 ·
I have never heard of it called the Hutch mod. It has always been called the harpoon mod as far as I know.

#12 ·
RSP said:
I have never heard of it called the Hutch mod. It has always been called the harpoon mod as far as I know.
The "Harpoon" mod is when you cut the vent and/or fill tubes only. The "hutch" is when you perform the mods to the pickup and pre-pump lines.

Hammer

#13 ·
OK ya I guess I knew it was the fill and vent tubes But I didnt realize there was a name for the rest of it

#14 ·
Make sure you get rid of the qwik fitting on the fuel pump, the sucthion side. this is where i always find them sucking air. alot of nosiey trucks that i have looked at are caused from aerated fuel. fallow the fitting back to the steel line, this is where i cut the factory black plastic off. push on your rubber hose and clamp. I use a clear fuel filter in between the pump and factory steel line.:Thumbup:

#15 ·
Thanks guys this sight is so awesome (especially when you have money to spend). I would really like to do the regulated return as well but need to save up for it.

#17 ·
QtrHorse said:
As already stated, there are a few vendors who sell the intank mod kit. ITP is one and Diesel Innovations is another. If you have a couple of friends, you can take the bed off and have it done in 2-3 hours, w/ a few breaks in between (this is w/ you taking your time and not rushing). I highly recommend for you to use some type of cut off wheel (dremel works great) when cutting the factory steel lines and make sure to debur anything you cut. I used ITP's kit and was very pleased w/ the instructions and items that it included. You could also buy his regulated return it w/ it and save a few $$.
I suggest a mini tubing cutter for a straight burr free cut if you have an inch of space all around the line.

#18 ·
Giantpowerstrokediesels said:
I suggest a mini tubing cutter for a straight burr free cut if you have an inch of space all around the line.
That's what I used but it leaves that little pushed in edge all the way around. You will need to reem the tubing after using a roll type cutter. That little ridge that it leaves will cause turbulences and bubbles in the fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.