The Diesel Garage banner

why high idle?

27K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  trapit 
#1 ·
Why is it that my truck goes into an 800rpm idle a couple minutes after start up. its starting to piss me off. And no it isn't cold

#2 ·
You sould never let a diesel idle at low idle for very long, look up wet sacking. and its to aid in a faster warm up

#3 ·
Wet Stacking - a condition in diesel engines in which not all the fuel is burned and passes on into the exhaust side of the turbocharger and on into the exhaust system. The word "stacking" comes from the term "stack" for exhaust pipe or chimney stack. The oily exhaust pipe is therefore a "wet stack".

#4 ·
also washes the motor oil off the cylinder walls and goes in the oil and dilutes the oil and can wipe out the mains.

#6 ·
Penguins live on the south pole...

Reactions: kycott
#8 ·
Darn penguins :mad:

I just hate how it kinda leaps into gear. My 4 other 6.4's don't have the high idle is the reason asked.

#9 ·
I just hate how it kinda leaps into gear.
Hit the accelerator pedal it will kick down the idle. I'm so used to it every time I shift from park to gear I hit the pedal out of instinct, most of the time I just started the truck...

There is a mod you can do to make one of your up fitter switches if so equipped, control high idle. I'm not sure if this disengages the automatic function, I believe it does not.

#10 ·
This isn't a warm up the engine idle, this is my idle...always...drive it 250 miles non stop with the outside temp 105, still high idle, so the throttle stab does nothing

#11 ·
That's not right, take it to the dealer.

#12 ·
:whs might have a injector sticking and want it fixed before taking a motor out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.