The Diesel Garage banner

Help-cat 3406b Fuel Inj-pump Removal From Engine Front Drve Cover

32K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  omarcano5 
#1 ·
Hello, I Am New To This Site And It Seems Awesome Especially If I Can Get Someone To Tip Me On How To Remove The Fuel Transfer/injector Pump Out Of The Back Of The Engine Drive Cover. I Removed All Accessories. Then All Mounting Bolts, Removed Advanced Timing Mechanizm On The Front Of The Drive Cover......now It Seems That The Pump Drive Gear Is Splined On To The Pump Or Pressed? Im Redoing Oil Seals From The Pump To The Block (o-rings) And The Front Drive Gear Is Halting Me.....im Assuming I Gotta Time The #1 Cyl At Tdc And Get A Timing Tool From Cat For The Pump? On My Way To Cat To See What They Tell Me.....hopefully They Do.....its Friday. How Do Properly Do This...help Somebody! Thanks

#2 ·
Did you get the bolts that attach to the side of the block? As far as timing, rotate engine to #1 TDC compression and on the middle of the pump there should be a little 9/16 bolt, remove that and you should see a slot, when its timed right that slot should be in the center, there is a tool from cat that fits in there i believe to hold it.

#3 ·
U dont need a tool from cat a 3/8 bolt works great. when u have the pump off remove the plug, like the other guy told ya. and use a bolt copple inches long and turn the pump over till the bolt dropes down and then your at #1 on the pump. I don't know if u know, that there is a small plug on the front of the bellhousing on the right side remove that plug inscert a 3-4in 3/8 bolt and turn over the engine, hold pressure on the bolt and it will slide into a hole in the flywheel when it does, it's at tdc 1 or 6 check your rocker arms to see if intake and exhaust on #1 in loose, then your at tdc #1

#4 ·
Help-cat 3406b Advanced Timing Unit Instructions Needed

dlopp said:
U dont need a tool from cat a 3/8 bolt works great. when u have the pump off remove the plug, like the other guy told ya. and use a bolt copple inches long and turn the pump over till the bolt dropes down and then your at #1 on the pump. I don't know if u know, that there is a small plug on the front of the bellhousing on the right side remove that plug inscert a 3-4in 3/8 bolt and turn over the engine, hold pressure on the bolt and it will slide into a hole in the flywheel when it does, it's at tdc 1 or 6 check your rocker arms to see if intake and exhaust on #1 in loose, then your at tdc #1
HELP-CAT 3406B ADVANCED TIMING UNIT INSTRUCTIONS NEEDED
hey partners.......thanks for the advice and info. i got the timing pin......in place and also lined up the timing hole w/a bolt on the flywheel right side. the truck started up just fine but hesitates and squeels for a sec when u give a full acceleration but seems to smooth out at idle and at max idle. my question is do you know anything about ATA-Automatic advanced timing unit that mounts onto the pump ring gear? I believe that this unit needs to be installed retarded and my question is.......can i get away with installing it with out some special tool required and are there special instructions on installation. is this why my truck is running a lil strange and smokes and hesitates a lil bit when u floor it from idle. please help:shrug: ......this site :Thumbup: rocks!

#5 ·
catdieselpower said:
Did you get the bolts that attach to the side of the block? As far as timing, rotate engine to #1 TDC compression and on the middle of the pump there should be a little 9/16 bolt, remove that and you should see a slot, when its timed right that slot should be in the center, there is a tool from cat that fits in there i believe to hold it.

hey partners.......thanks for the advice and info. i got the timing pin......in place and also lined up the timing hole w/a bolt on the flywheel right side. the truck started up just fine but hesitates and squeels for a sec when u give a full acceleration but seems to smooth out at idle and at max idle. my question is do you know anything about ATA-Automatic advanced timing unit that mounts onto the pump ring gear? I believe that this unit needs to be installed retarded and my question is.......can i get away with installing it with out some special tool required and are there special instructions on installation. is this why my truck is running a lil strange and smokes and hesitates a lil bit when u floor it from idle. please help:shrug: ......this site :Thumbup: rocks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.