The Diesel Garage banner

Cummins ISX vs CAT C-15

45K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  t800kwopper 
#1 ·
seeing what you guys think?, since Cats getting out of the truck Market, And the introduction of Selective Catalyst Restriction (SCR) and Urea Injection, Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF),

#2 ·
I have an 06 Cat C-15 Acert 550 and its been very reliable for me so far. with that said you couldn't GIVE me a 2008+ cat. no way no how.

Cummins has just been road proven a more reliable answer to the new emissions regs.

#6 ·
I think he means its the last planned emissions tier in the EPA's master plan to drive prices for new trucks up 20 grand, reduce engine life by 25%, kill 2 mpg's, and drive maintenance costs up.

2010 will bring SCA with the Tier 4 standards

#7 ·
If you could buy now, I would go with the ISX (especially the ISX without SCR and DEF). The ISX has the best fuel mileage and you at least know that Cummins is gonna be in the truck engine market longer than CAT. The C-15 is a decent motor but the power isn't there like the other CAT motors. My C-15 has been a pain in the ###. I think I have finally got the problems worked out, even though the mpg still isn't increasing much.

#8 ·
yes, 2010 is the last step, well that Cummins has told us, ISX in 2010 is going ot be a single overhead cam, with High Pressure Common Rail, EGR Valve will be back on the passenger side, there a pain in the *** to change on the driver side, and from what we have been told performace will go up with the HPCR set up.

#9 ·
I have done extensive research on the emissions regs and from what I can tell, aside from the HDOBD requirements for 2010/2012 emissions regs won't change much after 2010.

They will be expanded to ALL engines, gas, diesel, off road, marine etc., but that's a 2020 goal I think.

#10 ·
so how smart is this..
just a scenario,
say a farmer buys a new truck with the DPF, goes in a corn field to fill, like farmers do, during harvest, it starts to regen in the field, anyone thought of this, its ganna be worse if the try pushing the DPF's on Ag equipment there in worse enviroments.

#11 ·
We had one start to regen in the shop because it was enabled in PTO mode.. we use PTO mode for our high idle. it set the exhaust hose on fire, scorched the ceiling, etc. set off the sprinkler system, which had the fire department out... Now that we changed the regen parameters on all of our engines, it is much better :)

The engine will not regen at standstill unless regen is enabled in PTO mode. It requires a minimum road speed of a few miles an hour before it will do an active regen. This applies to the Cummins anyway.

#14 ·
the farmers, they are going to be excluded from the new regulations. the govermant has always helped them, they dont have to get registration (vehicle)and they use red diesel.

I don't see how unless they make special trucks for farmers like thats really going to happen all new equipment is tier 3 right yeah the goverment has helped us not like they help amtrack or the oil companies or AIG but they help in some ways since when have we been expement from registration, I to have plates, dot number insurance just like everyone else and although thats a great idea farm fuel for farm trucks not legal have to burn green

#13 ·
A DPF on a road tractor that goes into a field with corn stalks or wheat stubble will be a BIG problem. They HAVE started fires. Same as the the pickup trucks. The potential is very much real. Even a cat on a pickup will start a fire. Seen it personally.

#15 ·
farmers will not be exscluded from the regs. otherwise i would start farming. they just like everyone else will be forced into this nonsense

#19 ·
and urea isn't impossible to injected. almost every new diesel car and truck in Europe has it. its not injected into the engine into the exhaust stream. Mercedes markets it under the name Ad blue or something like that. its a diluted urea mix.

#20 ·
Dyed diesel will remain, as it is now, to signify UNTAXED fuel - nothing more.

All on or off road diesel however, will be ULSD by late 2010 (originally Jan. 01, 2010).

#21 ·
from what im hearing,cat isnt going out of business or anything,they are still going to sell them over seas where the emissions isnt so high.and today i heard that cat is going in 5/5 with international to build a motor starting next year i think.i dont know.im a cat man 100%,but my boss has the isx cummins in our international quad axles.biggest problem we had with them so far is head gaskets and egr valves.my truck had both replaced and its an 06 model.just like cars and trucks,they are all junk anymore,going to break down and cost u money,and there is good and bad in all of them.but if we want to keep working,we have to buy and drive them no matter what it is.

#22 ·
Yes, cat will still offer engines in Europe ect i believe. Just not in North America. Cat and Navistar are teaming up to build a vocational truck and enigne set to be available 2010. Word on the street from my TC is there is a prototype out and about. Cat had its set of problems with this new engines. The majority of problems have been associated with the emissions systems. The new big updates that were doing switching c13 and c15 to heated nozzle ard heads and everything under this program seemed to correct alot of problems. The isx is so much simpler in design, but has its problems as well. Yet its going to be interesting to see whats going to happen when 2012.

#25 ·
The air intake on the ISX engines has changed multiple time already as well. Even in a group of 50 trucks ordered for the same company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.