The Diesel Garage banner

I'm a Trader

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  BriteWhiteRam 
#1 ·
OK everyone I got sick of fixxing my ford 6.0 so I became a trader and bought a 05 gmc 3500 slt with only 45K on it. This truck is sweet starts way easier in the cold without even being plugged in, Its allot quieter and even though its a dually it's getting 18-22 mpg. Anyway is there any kind of common problems on these?? Could some one give me some specs does this thing have a vgt?? what kinda power does it have stock?? But yeah sorry ford guys after having two 6.0 the duramax seems way better so far. And i'm pretty sure this rig will have more than 90k on it before it ever needs me to put head gasket or egr cooler or the trans the was starting to mess up when it shifted up. oh well please give any advice on my new rig that you can.

:toytruck

#2 ·
I have had my 05 duramax for a couple months now. Don't be so sure about the headgaskets the LLY is know for them. I did an EGR blocker plate and I hope to not have any problems. Also learn the ice pick fix for the injector harness. I haven't had this problem but alot of people have.

#3 · (Edited)
I hate to say it but you're right, the headgaskets can go on these trucks, but if your handy you can do it yourself and save about $3500-4000

The LLY also has breathing problems, but you can fix it pretty easily, by upgrading to an LBZ mouthpiece:rock
http://www.merchant-automotive.com/lbzturbomouthpiecellyinletadapterkit.aspx

Also Yes they have a Variable geometry turbo, the LLY makes 310/600 stock

Its also a good idea to get a EGR block plate and to do a PVC re-route :thumbsup

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92868 <this thread its the Duramax Index, its a comprehensive list of everything duramax

#4 ·
:nopics

#5 ·
yes I need to put pics up asap the dealer gave me a 2 year 24k warrenty on it so I should be ok for now. this bites though i've never herd of head gasket probs on the duramax. Oh well thats another thing i like about the gmc theres alot more room to work on the engine compared to the ford 6.0. So where do you typicly get these pvc and egr part your talking about????? thats cool 600lbs of torqe and it feels like its all towards the low end instead of 3200 rpm like the 6.0

#7 ·
Look in you glove box and see if you see a FE9 code if its there then you don't need a sticker finger (so you dont get a CEL) for the egr plate so you can get them from most of the vendors here. I got my locally for ten bucks. The PVC a still need to do and the turbo mouth piece

#6 ·
Yeah, peak torque is 1600rpms. Very nice!

#8 ·
#9 ·
I hear that on sick of fixing your 6.0!!!! Post some pics!! Good luck with the truck. The Duramax is a great engine.

Jake

#10 ·
Try to post pics gonna try stealing them from dealer site its dark when i leave for work and dark when i get home could bring camera to work and take pics during lunch i guess

#13 ·
What do you want to trade?

oh....wait....you meant traitor...not trader....nevermind....LOL

#14 ·
Looks sharp! I will probably end up with a Duramax too. (not gonna get rid of the poker though)

Sam:cowboy

#15 ·
Nice looking truck. :rock

#16 ·
That is a nice rig you have there sir, but wheres the rest? :poke LOL I hope you have good luck with it :happymugs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.