The Diesel Garage banner

No Boost, No Power, And No RPM's over 1100

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  country6220 
#1 ·
Lets start with I have a 2004 Excursion with 145,000 on the clock. Its has been running fine... after egr cooler, oil cooler, water pump and IPR replaced (luckily under warranty). On friday i was headed home, and suddenly, at the stoplight, i lost all power. The engine is still running, but i have no power, could hardly get it to pull into the parking lot. The engine is running smooth, but there is no wistle from the turbo. I shut it down, and made some calls, Friend says its prob. the MAP sensor. After about 15 min, it started up, and ran fine back to the house. I changed the MAP sensor, and went for a drive... Same thing... lost power once it warmed up. When it does this, you can hear the turbo intermitantly.. just an occasional whistle. Someone plaese HELP!!

#3 ·
I had a code scanner hooked up, and no codes, but it wasn't a full diagnostic from a dealer... It doesn't blow black, its blowing out grey smoke.. all unburnt fuel.. I havent checked all the boots, but the ones up top are still in place. I pulled the EGR valve last night, cleaned it, and put new o-rings on. Haven't checked fuel pressure yet... not sure how! I haven't driven it yet to see if that helped... its been cold, and it seems to only do it when its warmed up.I will check it out when i get home

#4 ·
lenzhotrod will guide you through he guided me through my i am now a strong believer in TEST,VERIFY,REPAIR...

#5 ·
I am open to all sugestions... it sux having a rig that you cant drive for more than a week at a time. I will listen and learn...:help

#11 · (Edited)
Well I just fixed one the other day with the same issue.
unplug the VGT on top of the turbo, Key on engine off use a volt meter. You should have 12 volts on the one side of the plug and not on the other.
This one was shorted togeather about 10 inches down in the harness and with power on both sides the VGT did not work and no engine lite or codes.

#6 ·
If you have no boost and no power you may have stuck vanes on your turbo and it may need to be cleaned with 145K on it if it has never been done it sure would not heart.

This is how you can do it if you want to give it a try
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-05.php

#7 ·
I have been reading some of the other forums about doing that. On mine, when it loses power, there is no whistle from the turbo at all, then occasionally, you will hear it do a quick whistle, and stop...

#9 ·
The egr was pretty nasty, but it cleaned up. Then, last night, I found that my exhaust had come loose at the down pipe. Could this have caused the ebp sensor to think something was wrong?

#10 ·
if theres no whisle id check your low pressure oil feed to the top of the turbo. you can try to unbolt it a little bit while its running to make sure oil comes out. a bit messy tho. but if by chance the turbo is coked up with oil inside then verifying there is oil at the supply line wouldnt really help.

#12 ·
You said it looses power. Does anything happen when you press the throttle pedal? For right now forget about the turbo. If it was stuck full open or full closed would not give you problems as you described. Doesn't mean you may not have a turbo problem also. Need to check fuel pressure too. Is it a late(ICP on valve cover) or early (ICP under/behind turbo) 6.0 ? Don't throw parts at it. Test,verify,repair.

#13 ·
The turbo will give the problems you are talking about. do not discount the turbo this one i was working on was running great at an idle and when you jumped on it it would lunch but then miss break up and not go over 22 hundread rpm with no get up and go. if you have a scan tool put it on manafold gauge pressure and see what the thing is boosting.

#14 ·
I agree about the turbo and not just throwing it aside. I wanted to know when the vehicle is running and the throttle pedal is pushed down does anything happen? Or is it acting as if it had a broken throttle cable. And yes I know there is no throttle on diesels and I also know there is no throttle cable on the 6.0

#15 ·
I bet he fixed it wen he found the downpipe loose and re-tightened it.

#17 ·
It is far too frequent (and frustrating) for sure!!!

#19 ·
The first post read
Its has been running fine... after egr cooler, oil cooler, water pump and IPR replaced (luckily under warranty). On friday i was headed home, and suddenly, at the stoplight, i lost all power. The engine is still running, but i have no power, could hardly get it to pull into the parking lot. The engine is running smooth, but there is no wistle from the turbo.

He lost The VGT solanoid on the turbo it sounds like to me. may not be the VGT solanoid it self But the wires shorted going to it.

#20 ·
Sorry guys, been out of town. I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I don't know what fixed it, but it seems to be running fine now.... after a new MAP sensor, VGT solenoid, cleaning the EGR, and fixing the loose exhaust. I still haven't check the fuel preasure, because I don't know how. But thanks again for the advice.

#21 ·
Can you tell my where the MAP sensor is?

#22 ·
It's located on the bottom of a bracket on top of the condensor on th passenger side firewall. There are 3 studs that hold the bracket to the condensor box.

#25 ·
The bad thing is you can through every part at it and one shorted wire or broken wire will still be the cause.
In tech school Many I mean Many years ago My shop teacher said a new Alt. will fix a lose belt every time. He would say we want to be Good techs with diag skills not parts replacers.
With that said I have a spare IDM, PCM, for the 7.3s for testing cause it is much faster to swap it and see if it fixes it then it is to do 40 Pin point test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.