The Diesel Garage banner

How to remove Turbo

27K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Fixinitmyself 
#1 ·
OK Experts.... whats the trick to get the turbo out? I can get the three bolts and two V-Band clamps loose but I can't figure out how to wiggle it out.

I suppose if the body was raised or the rear of the engine lowered there would be more clearance. So whats the trick?

#3 ·
It rolls right out towards the alternator. Make sure you have the wiring harness cover unclipped on top of the firewall and zip tie it up out of the way to one of the wiper arms and loosen the coolant reservoir and disconnect the small hoses and put the reservoir off to the side. And of course make sure both the intake and cold air tubes are removed off the turbo and the oil feed line and vgt actuator connector. Another suggestion, when you go to put it back in, use new larger 13mm head 8.8 grade bolts with lock washers and anti-seize on the threads, makes future extraction problem free as the stock 10mm head bolts can round off easily when rusted in place. Harry

Reactions: bismic
#4 ·
Ya beat me to it Brent, your suggestion is correct also. Harry

#5 ·
You also have to loosen the exhaust up pipes from the manifolds enough to let the Y-pipe rock back out of the way. This means removing the V-band clamp from the EGR cooler as well. The exhaust is probably the biggest PITA of the whole project. My turbo is out right now and I snapped three of the bolts off getting the exhaust loose. :gaah

#6 ·
See the attached excerpt from the Ford Workshop manual. They're instructions for a 2006, so there may be slight differences from your 2003.

A couple of tricks include:

Use a floor jack to lift the downpipe up off of the turbo.

Use a pry bar to gently pop the turbo up off of the oil return tube.

Leave the oil supply line connected to the turbo, and instead loosen it on the other end to avoid gasket replacement.

As others have said, once its popped up off the oil return tube, just roll it out towards the alternator.

Attachments

Reactions: bismic
#8 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I got it off.... finally!

So this is what I did:

To get to the 10mm bolt on rear of turbo I put a floor jack under the rear of tranny. Dropped the rear cross member out. Disconnected exhaust pipe at first joint near the tranny. Remove V-band clamp on turbo outlet. Backed the down pipe away from turbo. The exhaust pipe wouldn't move far enough back if the cross member was still in place. Then the rear bolt was accessible.

I then climbed up on top and applied alot of elbo grease and the turbo came free. Rolled out just like you said.

Now for the intake manifold.. I'm headed to the HPOP.

More on that later....

#10 ·
Make sure you look in the cracks between the head and the intake with a flash light before you pull it. Sure would suck to have to replace a piston because the jack*ss before you dropped a 10mm nut in there..

#9 · (Edited)
The way I do it:
1. Pull the the air box and horn, 2 8mm clamps, 2 connectors
2. Remove the 2 8mm bolts on the degas and pull it foward, this allows you to move the harness underneath the degas bottle bracket and pull it on top of it.
3. Remove the 3 push pins holding the plastic harness shield attached to the wiper cowl, this allows you to pull it foward and flip it out of your way(hold it out of your way with a zip tie or something)
4. Remove the cold side intercooler pipe, 2 11mm clamps
5. Remove the 3 10mm turbo bolts, 2 in front 1 behind
6. Remove the 2 exhaust clamps, 2 11mm bolts. An air hammer works wonders here. They're always seized to the pipes. IMO this can be the hardest part if you don't know what your doing
7.Remove the vgt connector
8. Your home free at this point, get yourself a pry bar or a big screw driver and pry the turbo off the pedistal. Once its loose ease it up and foward over the alternator.

#13 ·
I put a floor jack under the tranny and removed the cross memeber. Then the exhaust pipe would move freely when the V-band clamp was disconnected from the turbo. I did not have to loose the up pipes from the manifold. I just lossened the V-band clamp on the turbo inlet. Having the floor jack under the tranny allowed the engine to be lowered a bit which gave just enough additinal room to wiggle the turbo free. I also removed the alternator but you might not have to.

I guess there is the Ford way, the flat rate way and my way that worked. You guys who do this all the time know all the tricks. I'm having to figure it out as I go.

I found my high pressure oil leak and now have begun reassembly.

Lets see... the instructions say to reassemble in reverse order of disassembly.. Yeah Right!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.