The Diesel Garage banner

Main/Rod bearing replacement

16K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  CTDNewbie 
#1 ·
I justed picked up this well used '96 to be used as a work truck. This is not only my first Cummins but my first Dodge as well. I have worked on Ford diesels for years but I have next to no experience with the mighty 5.9.
Anyway the trans is coming out for a rebuild this weekend and I was thinking of knocking out the main and rod bearings when everything is accessible(oil pressure is a little on the low side). Has anyone tried to do this in vehicle? It looks like the oil pan will come out if the trans is removed but I am not sure if there is enough access to properly measure clearances and torque the caps correctly. If I have the oil pan out is there anything else I could check/replace? Thanks in advance.

G
#2 ·
Better plan on pulling the motor. All Cummins torque specs on the bottom end are X amount of ft. pounds plus a quarter turn. You will need the room and I am almost certain the engine has to be taken out of the motors mounts and raised a little to get the pan off.

Might be a dumb question, but have you changed the oil? Also remember the 12v run slightly less oil pressure than the 24v do. There is not but a few psi on my truck between low idle and high idle.

#3 ·
The engines are not that hard to pull. Have a good heavy cherry picker with at least a 2ton rating and one of those levelers for the cherry picker and if you already have the tranny out it won't take long at all.

Once out you can tip the engine up on it's bell housing. I used some 4x4 treated posts and made a stand to sit the bell housing on. It worked great for me.

Here are some pics of us pulling my engine out without the head on it.

Engine Pics

DB

#4 ·
Nice truck and nice garage. I like that bumper too. How does she run now?

#5 ·
u might want to go ahead and check the oil pick up screen and replace the oil pump that would help big time

#6 ·
I would go ahead and yank the motor out. You prolly won't be able to do a good job while it is still in the truck. And like someone mentioned before you would have fun torqing the mains. Once you get the coolers out you would be 3/4's the way there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.